Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Should I listen to the pediatrician?!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:38 pm
My pediatrician told me that it’s best not to give my toddler fever reducing medication unless he’s not drinking, needs to sleep or has over 102.
Said the fever will help him get over it faster and quicker if it doesn’t keep getting reduced. I’m so torn between wanting him to get over the virus faster (it’s his 3rd illness in less than 2 months) and hating seeing him so miserable.
She’s very smart and I want what she said to be true but so hard to watch the high fever if there’s no gain to not medicating home.
And on that same note am I the only person who’s toddler has been getting sick non stop with hardly a week in between each virus?! Because it sure feels like I am. Already doing every type of immune boosting supplements and diet.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:40 pm
Never heard of this.

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:40 pm
So happy to hear pediatricians are starting to say this! He is absolutely right. Fever is the body's intelligent response to invasion and the higher Temps actually help burn off the pathogens. Lowering fevers actually hampers the immune response and fever reducers such as acetaminophen can have other negative effects as well because it's depletes glutathione, an essential antioxidant that the body needs to remove metabolic waste from cells which is super important during times of illness.

#Happymom

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
My pediatrician told me that it’s best not to give my toddler fever reducing medication unless he’s not drinking, needs to sleep or has over 102.
Said the fever will help him get over it faster and quicker if it doesn’t keep getting reduced. I’m so torn between wanting him to get over the virus faster (it’s his 3rd illness in less than 2 months) and hating seeing him so miserable.
She’s very smart and I want what she said to be true but so hard to watch the high fever if there’s no gain to not medicating home.
And on that same note am I the only person who’s toddler has been getting sick non stop with hardly a week in between each virus?! Because it sure feels like I am. Already doing every type of immune boosting supplements and diet.

It's all true and I agree with her, BUT, if your child is miserable then please give medication.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:41 pm
While it's true that the fever helps him fight the infection, it's awful to suffer, and personally I would take Tylenol or Motrin myself, and I wouldn't want my child to suffer like that if I can't endure it either.
It's not harmful to give fever reducing over the counter medication. Follow the guidelines.

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:43 pm
There are ways to lower fevers and keep a child comfortable outside of medication.
Vinegar socks, lukewarm baths with Epsom salts and essential oils, potatoes in sock, Electrolyte ice pops

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:44 pm
If the child is acting fine & is able to sleep, I let the fever run it’s course. I kid is in pain or cranky, feeling awful, I do give Tylenol & motrin.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:44 pm
If he's been sick so many times back to back, it is very possible he needs to take a break from Tylenol / Motrin, especially if you’ve been quick to give it to him until now. Try to keep him as comfortable as possible

mommyX2

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:45 pm
A fever is good for immune system working to fight off the virus. If it's viral. If it's bacterial I don't think it helps..for strep. Maybe someone can weigh in but for viral I do this and just wait it out unless fever gets too high

mommyhood

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:47 pm
Motrin and Tylenol won’t help the virus pass faster so if that’s your goal it’s not going to help. I personally do try to push off giving the meds if possible for a kid old enough to complain if they’re very uncomfortable. When they have fever my kids do a lot of resting. When the fever is down from the medication they’re back to running around and I don’t think that promotes healing.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:52 pm
Like others said: I prefer to let fevers run their course, unless they get dangerously high, infection spreads too far, or if the patient (including myself) is too uncomfortable to rest.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:58 pm
I usually try to avoid during the day and then just give once before bed at night so that they can get a good nights sleep (which is also important). If it’s low grade and doesn’t seem to be bothering then I’ll avoid at night too. If they wake up again at night when that first dose wears off and seem uncomfortable and in pain then I would definitely give again. Basically- use your judgement. Definitely best to avoid but also important to get sleep. I try not to judge by the number but more based on how they seem to be feeling.

I’m also happy to hear that doctors are saying this. I think Tylenol and Motrin are SO overused and we’ve come to fear fever which is just the body’s natural response.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics