Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Does your cleaning lady use a mop?
1  2  3  Next

Does your cleaning lady use a mop for floors?
Yes  
 88%  [ 207 ]
No  
 7%  [ 18 ]
Other  
 3%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 234

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:37 pm
I'm having a cleaning lady this week, I didn't have one in years.
Is it okay to ask them to wash all the floors with a shmata?
I know people will say yes but how is that okay? I can't wash all my floors on my knees, the most I can do at a time is one or two rooms max

Please answer poll

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it okay to ask them to wash all the floors with a shmata?

No

jflower

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:42 pm
No, it's not ok to expect her to wash the floor on her hands and knees. If you don't have a mop, buy one.

Eselle13

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:43 pm
Mine actually doesn't like to use my mop. She likes to wrap a shmatte over a broom

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:50 pm
Absolutely not, unless you mean the Israeli-style sponja which uses a big cloth and a squeegee on a stick. Expecting someone to wash floors on hands and knees is disrespectful, humiliating, and probably inhumane. Even if that's how you prefer to wash your own floors. Buy a mop.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:54 pm
My cleaning lady rarely mops, I use a robot mop. My floors are very clean.

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:03 pm
My cleaning lady mops every other day, she uses the o-cedar mop
My floors are spotless
I’m not sure why you think you would need her to get on hands and knees with a shmatta. If you’d like that, you can do it yourself

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:05 pm
That’s extremely demeaning to ask anyone to get down on hands and knees with a rag. Buy a mop and treat her like a human being please.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:05 pm
My cleaning lady also uses the microfiber Ocedar mop. It gets washed in the washing machine after each use. My house is bh very clean.

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:06 pm
amother Snow wrote:
My floors are spotless
I’m not sure why you think you would need her to get on hands and knees with a shmatta. If you’d like that, you can do it yourself
Which 1?

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:06 pm
Please buy her a mop. It's wrong to expect her to go on her hands and knees. Mine asked me for a specific mop and I bought it.

happy7

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:12 pm
I wish mine would clean on her hands and knees. It’s totally not happening. Inappropriate expectation

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:13 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
Which 1?

This one
O-Cedar Easywring Microfiber Spin Mop & Bucket Floor Cleaning System with 1 Extra Refill,Red / Gray https://a.co/d/4z1EsQ3

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:14 pm
amother Snow wrote:
This one
O-Cedar Easywring Microfiber Spin Mop & Bucket Floor Cleaning System with 1 Extra Refill,Red / Gray https://a.co/d/4z1EsQ3

That's the one my lady asked me to buy also

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:16 pm
amother Snow wrote:
My floors are spotless

Mine also uses it. How often do you change the head

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:16 pm
I once had a friend tell me she has her cleaning lady fo this and I was appalled. I can't imagine floors would be cleaner that way either.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:19 pm
OP - why would you ask this of her?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:20 pm
https://www.amazon.com/O-Cedar.....r=8-8

This gets screwed off and washed every time it is used. I airdry it . Fresh and clean for next use. I also have the white one, with the bucket that squeezes out the water. That gets washed too.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:32 pm
watergirl wrote:
OP - why would you ask this of her?

I would never! I just wanted to see what other's are doing because irl people seem to ask there ladies to wash with a shmata on all fours

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:38 pm
We did not have cleaning help growing up. My mother never had a mop and washed floors with shmatta. It's what I do, too, because I don't think mops do a decent job. We now have a mop because my teenage daughter insisted and just doesn't buy in to the concept.

I don't have cleaning help currently, but have in the past. I can say 100% that in NYC you must provide a mop unless the cleaner brings their own tools (some services they do that). The cleaning women who work in NYC find it incredibly demeaning. I am not sure if it a cultural difference (most of the ladies who worked for me were from Ecuador) or just changing times/expectations (as you can see by the responses to your question).

Even though I would never ask a cleaner to do something I wouldn't do, you don't have to hold them to your standards if the norm/standard is less. I am sure they will do a nice enough job with the mop and if they aren't bringing their own they are not very expensive.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry