Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I need an action plan for tonight
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 8:40 am
I can manage the seuda. I eat one low carb bilke (inherent portion control), small portions of protein, and a tiny taste to be yotze of the carbs. I avoid wheat.

Every Shabbos the problem starts after the meal. We sit around with our kids and guests, munching. Popcorn, chocolates, salted sunflower seeds, mixed nuts... and suddenly I lose all self control. I rationalize that there's no wheat or sugar in these things (except the chocolate) and keep going since everyone around me is moving their mouth.

Same thing happens Shabbos day. Morning I eat my regular breakfast, then the meal I'm good with. But Shabbos after the meal rolls around and between being bored, taking care of the kids without a distraction, craving something sweet, then salty, then sweet... I inevitably find myself having eaten more than I wanted.

I need a plan going into this Shabbos. I don't want to undo my hard work from all week. Looking for something realistic because "Just don't eat" won't work for me.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 8:46 am
Can you pick out a specific snack to eat during these challenging times so that you go into it with a plan? It's hard and I also struggle.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 8:53 am
amother Rose wrote:
Can you pick out a specific snack to eat during these challenging times so that you go into it with a plan? It's hard and I also struggle.

Pick something low calorie and eat only that on that Friday night. Homemade low fat popcorn without sugar is relatively low calorie. Or cut cubes of celery stalks, raw carrots or some other crunchy vegetable and have that. Shabbat during the day - lock the stuff up and give the key to dh or someone else.
We have a sweets and snacks cupboard that is locked and dh keeps the key, with my agreement. That way I don't ruin my diet and the kids don't end up bingeing while nobody's watching.

essie14

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 8:57 am
What about a large cup of herbal tea to keep your hands busy? Slowly sip.

amother
Viola

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 8:59 am
Why not more protein, veggies and fat at the meal?

And fruits and veggies after. Hot tea is also nice.

amother
Steelblue

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 9:00 am
I know you said you don’t want this suggestion of don’t eat but sometimes I find it easier to be black-and-white and just not eat.
If that doesn’t work, how about premeasured popcorn either a snack size bag or put a portion aside for yourself before Shabbos.
A large cup of tea that you can sip.
Cut up crunchy vegetables ahead of time.
Hatzlocha!!!

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 9:17 am
Why not eat more proteins, and plenty vegetables at the meal?
Also agree with others that a herbal tea will keep u busy later on

amother
Nemesia

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 9:26 am
The only thing that has worked for me is planning which snacks I will eat in advance.

Sometimes it’s apples sprinkled with cinnamon
Or cut up melons
Rice cakes with pb2 and a cup of coffee with almond milk
Recently I started making popcorn. I just put some kernels in a bowl with cover (not clicked on all the way) and put in the microwave for 2.25 minutes. After it’s popped I sprinkle salt and shake. It’s fat free and low carb.
My problem is when everyone wants MY popcorn when they can really eat everything else. So when I have time, I make a few bowls and store in ziplock bags.

If you eat fruit, popcorn and sip a warm drink you won’t feel deprived.
Plan this in advance and stick to it.

I’m talking to myself to.

Good luck!!

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 9:31 am
Deprivation never leads anyplace good.
You want what everyone else is having. Have it!
But use portion control. Take a small plate put a bit of everything on it and enjoy. Try to eat it slowly so it lasts longer and do not go back for more.

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 9:39 am
Make yourself something special
I make a take on pannacotta that if you eat the whole thing (its for 12+ ppl) it’s less than 200 calories
Basically it’s
UNFLAVORED geletin
Unsweetened almond milk vanilla and chocolate
Coffee
Sweetner
Vanilla

This is for 3 layers coffee on the bottom, chocolate in the middle, vanilla on top
But you can make 1 flavor, or seperate flavors.
Just be careful - there are 2 brands of unflavored gel in the kosher market one with sugar one with out -
I think the one I use is Leibers, but any with NO sugar is ok

You can literally eat the whole mold and it hits the spot

The only thing with calories is the almond milk, maybe the gel has 5 cal.

If you make only coffee it’s even less calories

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 1:13 pm
amother Rose wrote:

One week it worked for me to eat only sunflower seeds with shells. Cracking them before eating kept my mouth very busy. After awhile my mouth was too salty, so I stopped eating, and that was that. Realistically though if there are other yummy things on the table, I usually don't stop.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 1:14 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
Pick something low calorie and eat only that on that Friday night. Homemade low fat popcorn without sugar is relatively low calorie. Or cut cubes of celery stalks, raw carrots or some other crunchy vegetable and have that. Shabbat during the day - lock the stuff up and give the key to dh or someone else.
We have a sweets and snacks cupboard that is locked and dh keeps the key, with my agreement. That way I don't ruin my diet and the kids don't end up bingeing while nobody's watching.

I am not going to eat veggies while everyone is eating snacks. Popcorn I can do, but even that needs to be with a limit or else...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 1:15 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
Why not eat more proteins, and plenty vegetables at the meal?
Also agree with others that a herbal tea will keep u busy later on

During the week I don't eat past 5:30-6:00. Even in a winter Shabbos the meal doesn't start till after that, so I make sure to fill up during the day and eat minimal later at night.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 1:16 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
I know you said you don’t want this suggestion of don’t eat but sometimes I find it easier to be black-and-white and just not eat.
If that doesn’t work, how about premeasured popcorn either a snack size bag or put a portion aside for yourself before Shabbos.
A large cup of tea that you can sip.
Cut up crunchy vegetables ahead of time.
Hatzlocha!!!

If I say I won't eat, it won't last. I'll be able to control myself for half-hour maybe, but then after awhile with everyone just sitting around like that, I'll be like "what the heck" and dive in. BTDT. I need to be realistic.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 1:18 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
Deprivation never leads anyplace good.
You want what everyone else is having. Have it!
But use portion control. Take a small plate put a bit of everything on it and enjoy. Try to eat it slowly so it lasts longer and do not go back for more.

I like this idea best. A little of everything and then I can tell myself that I already had from it so I know how it tastes, no need to eat more of it. Bli neder I will try this. Somehow the visual of a plate gives the food clear boundaries and beyond that, it's over.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 1:19 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
Make yourself something special
I make a take on pannacotta that if you eat the whole thing (its for 12+ ppl) it’s less than 200 calories
Basically it’s
UNFLAVORED geletin
Unsweetened almond milk vanilla and chocolate
Coffee
Sweetner
Vanilla

This is for 3 layers coffee on the bottom, chocolate in the middle, vanilla on top
But you can make 1 flavor, or seperate flavors.
Just be careful - there are 2 brands of unflavored gel in the kosher market one with sugar one with out -
I think the one I use is Leibers, but any with NO sugar is ok

You can literally eat the whole mold and it hits the spot

The only thing with calories is the almond milk, maybe the gel has 5 cal.

If you make only coffee it’s even less calories

I would love to try this! Won't work for this week since I don't have all the ingredients in my house and the weather isn't amenable to running out for them.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 1:20 pm
For me, chewing mint gum has been most helpful. Chewing gives my mouth what to do and the minty feeling for some reason makes eating other stuff not as delicious.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 1:57 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
For me, chewing mint gum has been most helpful. Chewing gives my mouth what to do and the minty feeling for some reason makes eating other stuff not as delicious.

Great idea!

menucha18

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 2:07 pm
Someone mentioned coffee with almond milk. Ever since I learned to like almond milk it’s been a game changer for me. Every night and Friday night. I’m not much of a tea drinker so being able to have pareve coffee helps so much when I’m tired and want to eat everything….

amother
Nemesia

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 2:09 pm
Maybe just take 1-2 pieces of chocolate and then say—- AD KAN! ZEHU!
And then stick to fruit, popcorn and drinks..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise