Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help a nervous first time flyer

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 6:20 pm
Not exactly first time, but it's been a long time since I've flown anywhere. We've saved up points for a while and my kids are beyond excited to get on a plane. I'm excited for them but also nervous about a few things-

1) how far in advance do I need to be at the airport? Is an hour and a half enough time? It's LGA if that matters, a domestic flight.

2)I'm flying delta, and someone lent me carry on luggage so we don't have to check any bags- does anyone know if they are very strict about the size? Like should I be measuring them?

3) do they give out headphones for the in flight entertainment or should I bring?

I feel like these questions probably sound stupid but yeah it's been a while, I'm not much of a traveler lol.

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 6:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
Not exactly first time, but it's been a long time since I've flown anywhere. We've saved up points for a while and my kids are beyond excited to get on a plane. I'm excited for them but also nervous about a few things-

1) how far in advance do I need to be at the airport? Is an hour and a half enough time? It's LGA if that matters, a domestic flight.

2)I'm flying delta, and someone lent me carry on luggage so we don't have to check any bags- does anyone know if they are very strict about the size? Like should I be measuring them?

3) do they give out headphones for the in flight entertainment or should I bring?

I feel like these questions probably sound stupid but yeah it's been a while, I'm not much of a traveler lol.

An hour and a half is enough for domestic flight. We sometimes have even less time but it’s not ideal.
I never had any airline messure out carry ons. If it’s a carry on, it’s a carry on. No?
Personal bag in the other hand I’ve seen them measure.
Regarding headphones I’m pretty certain they’re always provided but I bring along headphones for my little kids since the ones they give out never stays in their ears.

Hope that helps!
Enjoy the flight (if possible) and vacation!

amother
Snowflake

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 6:30 pm
amother OP wrote:

1. I aim to be at the airport at least hour and a half before flight.

2. Yes you need to make sure it's the right size...you also need to make sure you actually can take carry on luggage. Most airlines have you pay more for a ticket with luggage otherwise you get just a personal bag like a briefcase. I usually just pack my kids stuff in briefcases. If needed I pay for a carry one or bigger suitcase by check in or before.

3. I bring my own headphones and I'm not sure about delta. You may want to call them and make sure they actually have screens. Not all planes do.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 6:51 pm
Thank you!

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 7:09 pm
I am also a nervous flyer, so totally get you. Would actually recommend getting to the airport a little earlier if you are traveling with kids. No less than 2 hours. Sometimes security lines can be long and people may need the bathroom before boarding. I find I'm calmer when there isn't a concern about getting where you need to be on time. I would sip water on the plane and if you feel tense in the air, practice breathing. When my kids were little, their needs in flight were a welcome distraction. Pack a backpack with some new things they haven't seen before like color wonder pack from Crayola and a scratch and erase pad (Amazing Savings has some good options) and some dry snacks that pass the security clearance (granola bars, animal crackers, dried fruit). Good luck and have a safe trip.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 7:38 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
I am also a nervous flyer, so totally get you. Would actually recommend getting to the airport a little earlier if you are traveling with kids. No less than 2 hours. Sometimes security lines can be long and people may need the bathroom before boarding. I find I'm calmer when there isn't a concern about getting where you need to be on time. I would sip water on the plane and if you feel tense in the air, practice breathing. When my kids were little, their needs in flight were a welcome distraction. Pack a backpack with some new things they haven't seen before like color wonder pack from Crayola and a scratch and erase pad (Amazing Savings has some good options) and some dry snacks that pass the security clearance (granola bars, animal crackers, dried fruit). Good luck and have a safe trip.

Thanks! I think once I'm on the plane I'll be okay, it's just my fear of getting there, not getting a flat tire on the way or being told my carry on is too big etc. etc. Otherwise I think I'm pretty well prepared, my kids each have a backpack with snacks, activities, a change of clothes, and a sweatshirt. But I think even talking (typing?) it out here is helping me calm down

amother
Darkblue

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 7:44 pm
I flew last week domestic from la guardia with out kids. I checked in before online and had no bags to check in. Went straight to security which went very fast. No lines . Was a breeze bh.
I didnt fly delta but our carry on were not checked for size. They did ask at the gate for volunteers to check in their bags. I didnt do it because I wanted to avoid the baggage claim wait.

Enjoy and have a great time and safe flight

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 6:03 pm
Sorry one more question- I know liquids and lotions have to be 3.4 oz and under to be in a carry on, and it says each passenger is limited to one quart size bag of these items. Right now I have all of our body washes and toothpastes and shampoos and sunscreen in one big toiletry bag- do I really need to split this stuff up between our bags?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 8:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sorry one more question- I know liquids and lotions have to be 3.4 oz and under to be in a carry on, and it says each passenger is limited to one quart size bag of these items. Right now I have all of our body washes and toothpastes and shampoos and sunscreen in one big toiletry bag- do I really need to split this stuff up between our bags?

Whether they'll let you through like that or not really depends on how strict the TSA agent is, but just to be sure I would divide the toiletries between a few plastic bags. Airports can be pretty chaotic, you don't want any added stress

Have a safe flight and enjoy the experience!

amother
Peony

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 8:18 pm
I would give 2 hours before if you have a few kids

I would measure just for my own sanity

Do all planes still have inflight entertainment? When I flew the last couple times there wasn’t any

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 8:53 pm
amother Peony wrote:
I would give 2 hours before if you have a few kids

I would measure just for my own sanity

Do all planes still have inflight entertainment? When I flew the last couple times there wasn’t any

No not all, but the one I'm going on does.

Thanks again to everyone. I will split up the toiletries to be on the safe side.

corolla

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:50 pm
amother OP wrote:

I've never used a bag and haven't had any issues.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics