Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Got a weird call from insurance

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 6:22 pm
Anyone ever got a call like this?
I felt like I was being scammed but I don't know what the scam/gain would be as I didn't give ss number or cc information

Lady introduced herself as insurance agent from united (which is what we have, under jersey care) she said she is calling regarding our baby and asked me to confirm her birthday (she used her name) I said her birthday
Then she said they want to make sure we are going to doctors appointments and such, so I said yes. She replied that she'd like to make sure I actually have an appointment so she called the pediatrician with me on the line to confirm my babies appointment. The secretary confirmed using my babies name and date and time of appointment

It seemed weird but maybe this is something they do....
Any chance it was a scam? And what would they gain by knowing my babies name and dob and appointment?

teachkids

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 6:24 pm
I've had this with calling to make sure I made dentist appointments. They want to make sure you're keeping up with preventative care because it's cheaper for them than emergency care.

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 6:24 pm
They do this on Medicaid to make sure kids are actually being taken to the doctor.

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 6:25 pm
It's not a scam. They do it often. They encourage you to take care of preventative health, because ultimately being sick costs them more money

mommyhood

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 6:27 pm
I’ve had it and we’re not on Medicaid. I just ignore the calls or tell them I’m not interested and hang up once they say while they’re calling.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 7:10 pm
Thank you for assuring me that it's normal

acemom

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 7:16 pm
Whenever I get such phone calls, I decline giving any personal info.
THEY called ME, so why do I need to confirm anything "for security reasons".
Usually the reason for the call ends up being sent in writing in the mail anyway.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 7:18 pm
I have a rule not to give out personal information over the phone.

Most people understand.

I also ask if these questions are mandatory or not.

I assume this was a legit call, but I would not have given my baby's date of birth over the phone.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 7:44 pm
I had this in NJ years ago when we had Medicaid. Totally legit.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 7:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone ever got a call like this?
I felt like I was being scammed but I don't know what the scam/gain would be as I didn't give ss number or cc information

Lady introduced herself as insurance agent from united (which is what we have, under jersey care) she said she is calling regarding our baby and asked me to confirm her birthday (she used her name) I said her birthday
Then she said they want to make sure we are going to doctors appointments and such, so I said yes. She replied that she'd like to make sure I actually have an appointment so she called the pediatrician with me on the line to confirm my babies appointment. The secretary confirmed using my babies name and date and time of appointment

It seemed weird but maybe this is something they do....
Any chance it was a scam? And what would they gain by knowing my babies name and dob and appointment?

totally legit. they did the same thing to me last month.

Orangehead

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 7:52 pm
I had a hospital call me about a bill and started asking me to verify. I told them “I am sorry, you called me. I can not give private information over the phone.”
They said ok and hung up. I really think it was legit as I did have an outstanding bill.
I do not want to get scammed.

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 8:35 pm
Orangehead wrote:
I had a hospital call me about a bill and started asking me to verify. I told them “I am sorry, you called me. I can not give private information over the phone.”
They said ok and hung up. I really think it was legit as I did have an outstanding bill.
I do not want to get scammed.

Me too. I told the guy that I was going to hang up and call them back because I can’t trust he’s who he says he is otherwise. So I looked up the number of the office I needed to call and called back and the same guy answered. I think he was so surprised I actually called back and wasn’t just using it as an excuse to not pay.

But yeah it’s definitely the right protocol for security reasons to look up the # and call them bac.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:02 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
I have a rule not to give out personal information over the phone.

Most people understand.

I also ask if these questions are mandatory or not.

I assume this was a legit call, but I would not have given my baby's date of birth over the phone.

What can they do with her birthday?
I genuinely want to know
They now know her birthday and when her appointment is...what would someone do with that information?

Also, why would the doctors office give out when her appointment is?

The whole call was weird

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:04 pm
If anything seems off or you are uncomfortable for any reason even if it may be legit just say u have to go and hang up for all they know someone’s at your door

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:10 pm
amother Gold wrote:
If anything seems off or you are uncomfortable for any reason even if it may be legit just say u have to go and hang up for all they know someone’s at your door

I know. I regret not doing that

It probably was legit but I'm still annoyed at myself. Shows how easy it is to potentially be scammed when busy and distracted

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 10:46 pm
They tried calling me. I asked what the call was regarding and she refused to tell me. Just asked if I had around 20 minutes available to speak to her. I asked again what she wanted to speak about and she wouldn’t tell me, so I said nope, not interested and we hung up.

I don’t appreciate vagueness, especially if it’ll be over a 20 minute phone call while not having any clue what the purpose is

It was very weird

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:15 pm
I had something similar with a car loan. The 'bank' called me up and had information for me on my loan (which had been paid off a month or so earlier). They wanted me to give them my loan number so they could give me information. I refused, as they called me. We went around in circles for a while before I hung up.
I ended up calling the bank, it took them a while to figure out that yes, a certain department had called me and it was legit. But it was crazy that they wanted me to trust them and give them my information when they called me!
Turns out that there had been a glitch in their system when I paid off the loan. The glitch only affected the loans that were being paid off. They never got the last payment and needed me to authorize it.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:29 pm
I got a call like this last week for myself. Not Medicaid.

They wanted me to confirm my info and connect me with a nurse.
I said no, send me a letter.

penguin

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 12:10 pm
Unless it's written in your contract with insurance that you must agree to jhave your appointments monitored, I would find them calling to check on your appointment to be an extreme invasion if privacy, and I would not answer anything.

And I would tell them so!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette