Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I work in online children’s retail AMA
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Frum kids clothing fashion has a super short lifespan. I don’t think it’s worth spending full price.

We ran a 80+15 sale at the end of the season and I got designer clothing for this season and the next two for under $20 each item.

We don’t design. We sell major and frum brands online.
I only know of 2 websites that had 80+15 this year and I'm pretty sure I follow them all.

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
I really hate that too! Check out Nou Nelle they have such adorable dresses in both short and long sleeve. The attention to detail on the pieces is 👌.

They have pretty stuff but their size 4 are all short sleeves which is a minus for me.

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
The new season is upon us. I put in 60 hours this month in just invoices. You see a finished site but there was a lot of love that went into it. We put new stock up each day and yet… it get sold out as if it will be 90’ and sunny tomorrow. Despite my company discount I’m not rushing to buy my kids anything just yet…

Ask me about current tends, how to shop sale wisely, policies, return fees in frum companies and the craziest customers.

(I actually manage a few companies being the scene but this is the most fun!)

Edit- to clarify- the company I work for does not make its own clothes. It’s an online retailer selling frum and high end children’s brands.
what colors are dominating this season and what colors are coming for the winter season?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:52 pm
for those complaining about shopping now for the summer. while I agree that it is difficult to get the sizing right, I do find it is an easier time for me to be running around as it is quiet season. as we get closer to purim/pesach it gets hectic and I’m always so glad to not have to b busy with the shopping. I try to b done shopping by the time it’s purim so that right after purim I can focus on making pesach and being home and not running around to a million stores. also if stores only got in their merchandise purim time the stores would b way too packed and they are already packed enough already. at least this way the stores aren’t full of the ppl who already shopped so it spreads it out a bit. I hear the cons of the early shopping but there r also lots of pros to it too. glass half full!

amother
Lightcoral

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you have experience with Shopify? I know jobs. I started by making websites for people and it grew from there.
People call me all the time for website help but I don’t have time because I BH work for a few companies already.

I don’t, but I’m a quick learner. Is there anyone that would be willing to teach me the ropes?

amother
Latte

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:55 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
for those complaining about shopping now for the summer. while I agree that it is difficult to get the sizing right, I do find it is an easier time for me to be running around as it is quiet season. as we get closer to purim/pesach it gets hectic and I’m always so glad to not have to b busy with the shopping. I try to b done shopping by the time it’s purim so that right after purim I can focus on making pesach and being home and not running around to a million stores. also if stores only got in their merchandise purim time the stores would b way too packed and they are already packed enough already. at least this way the stores aren’t full of the ppl who already shopped so it spreads it out a bit. I hear the cons of the early shopping but there r also lots of pros to it too. glass half full!

Exactly. And it’s crazy hectic at work before Pesach so I’m always happy to have the clothing shopping out of the way.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:56 pm
How does shipping work and returns? Do you get a lot of returns? Do you get emails from customers?

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 1:41 am
amother Lightcoral wrote:
I don’t, but I’m a quick learner. Is there anyone that would be willing to teach me the ropes?

Shopify if really user friendly. There are some YouTube videos. If you want to practice you can help me. I am trying to set up a store I (I think I can do everything myself but I have a lot of other things to do) You can do very well with it if you are good at copywriting and graphic design

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 2:01 am
Such a fun thread! I also work with Shopify sites, and a ton of Frum Jewish fashion brands (among others). I would say at least 30 brands over the past 5 years. Some brands design their own, some resell others, the markups are different for everyone.

I can't really share much, because I feel like it's extremely proprietary information when a store gives you access to their backend data, sales, marketing tactics, worries, etc.

But I'm so impressed at how many incredible frum women are running businesses and building these huge brands! It's very impressive.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:21 am
amother Salmon wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

There’s actually a new brand I just heard about that’s like funky Jewish. Called We The Kids and seems so cool.

Any tips to help get a new brand into stores?! What can I do on my end?

Cute. I googled and didn’t see anything.

You can only try! It’s really mazel! Good luck! Come back when you have your line and I’ll try to pitch it if I think it’s a good fit.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:24 am
amother Oak wrote:
Do you have a course to recommend or it’s something to play around with? I’m tech savvy and quick bh and curious about this kind of work.

Honestly, I started over four years ago. I learned on the job. But it’s not all about the graphics, and Shopify itself,etc you also need to problem solve, know the best apps needed for the business, send email blasts, connect the store to quickbooks, inventory management systems, a bit of coding ect.

But if you’re good, it’s good pay. When I’m hired privately I charge about 70/75 an hour.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:25 am
amother Salmon wrote:
Which kids clothing stores are considered popular? What are the stores that the rest of the clothing retailers trust?

Sorry I can’t answer that here.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:26 am
amother Salmon wrote:
When stores place their orders with a brand, how is payment usually collected?

Is there an initial deposit? Do they pay once the shipments arrive? After it’s sold?

What’s normally done?

You have great questions but if you’re serious about this you need a mentor.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:27 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
you may love your job......but you cant be a loyal worker.....I would not want my worker giving out all these secrets!

I hear. I deleted some info. Thank you.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:30 am
amother Coffee wrote:
I don't understand the posters who must buy SS'24 stuff full price now cause if they wait, it'll sell out of their sizes. Do you mean if you want to buy only matching? And do you dress only in matching, every day and Shabbos? Cause otherwise you can buy it on sale, different styles for different kids.
I'll never understand this rush to spend full price in Jewish stores for a new wardrobe for 3, 4, 5+ kids, just to match.

I advise upthread buy the matching stuff now and wait at least till lag baomer for the rest. I assume most peeled don’t match their teens till babies every regular day in day camp or school….

I do generally 2 matching weekday and 2 matching Shabbos. My kids are young and my family is small so I can always find more matching if needed at any time.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:35 am
amother Lilac wrote:
Approximately how many pieces of each item do big online stores take in? (Like a typical shabbos dress? Romper? etc.)

Do most brands go through a distributor?
Who's in charge of delivering the clothes to the stores?

I was also considering starting a clothing brand (a specific niche)... I just received my samples for aw25 and was going to start showing it to stores... Are all stores done making orders or only one? I thought I had till mid February?

** Also, when do stores usually go 30 off, 50 off and 70 off?

Depends on the business size.

Lag baomer 30% for Shabbos, 50 after Shavous, 70 July roughly.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:36 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
They have pretty stuff but their size 4 are all short sleeves which is a minus for me.

I hear. Interesting point but I didn’t even think of that. Most of our long sleeves start at 5,6.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:38 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
what colors are dominating this season and what colors are coming for the winter season?

Taupe
Cream
Light blue
Light pink
Light green

Idk I’m not a designer and I don’t do purchasing usually.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:39 am
amother Magenta wrote:

If you can afford to enjoy! 😉

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:40 am
amother Lightcoral wrote:

It’s a self taught YouTube type of thing. Offer to make someone a cheap or free site and go from there.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics