Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I work in online children’s retail AMA
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:33 am
The new season is upon us. I put in 60 hours this month in just invoices. You see a finished site but there was a lot of love that went into it. We put new stock up each day and yet… it get sold out as if it will be 90’ and sunny tomorrow. Despite my company discount I’m not rushing to buy my kids anything just yet…

Ask me about current tends, how to shop sale wisely, policies, return fees in frum companies and the craziest customers.

(I actually manage a few companies being the scene but this is the most fun!)

cupcake123

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:34 am
Tell us about crazy customers lol.
Also when does the 1st sales usually start

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:37 am
Such a cool job!! How did you get into it?
How is the salary?
Is the work environment pleasant or vain and competitive?

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:37 am
tell us why you dont rush to buy Smile

also just curious to hear about the process from design... to product

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:38 am
Why are all the current trends for girls tops and skirt or jumpers needing a shell? I hate it for little girls under 10…. So much easier to put on one piece dress and done, especially in summertime. I guess the fashion designers don’t have practicality in mind.

Also please do share your craziest customer experience!!!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:39 am
cupcake123 wrote:
Tell us about crazy customers lol.
Also when does the 1st sales usually start

Lag Baomer there’s generally some kind of promo. My advice is for pesach buy from last season or just 1-2. Wait to buy the rest until before Shavous.

I had a customer threaten to tell all her friends how bad we were because we didn’t want to take back her return past due Smile That was funny.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:41 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
Such a cool job!! How did you get into it?
How is the salary?
Is the work environment pleasant or vain and competitive?

I know Shopify so I run a few companies backend. This is just one. I work from home. The salary is about 30-50 hourly.

My boss is the sweetest simplest woman. We laugh all the time about the insanity of the entire field but I do love it!! And so does the rest of the company. But we love it!

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:43 am
How do you wait? Whenever I did I could not find anything in my kid’s sizes that they liked. I think for those of us that have to go through limited store stock it’s a terrible idea. You have access to things we don’t so yay you can wait. But you are just setting up people to be disappointed because at sale time the inventory is seriously lacking.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:43 am
amother Daisy wrote:
tell us why you dont rush to buy Smile

also just curious to hear about the process from design... to product

Frum kids clothing fashion has a super short lifespan. I don’t think it’s worth spending full price.

We run crazy sales at the end of the season and I got designer clothing for this season and the next two for under $20 each item.

We don’t design. We sell major and frum brands online.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:47 am
amother Vanilla wrote:
Why are all the current trends for girls tops and skirt or jumpers needing a shell? I hate it for little girls under 10…. So much easier to put on one piece dress and done, especially in summertime. I guess the fashion designers don’t have practicality in mind.

Also please do share your craziest customer experience!!!!

I really hate that too! Check out Nou Nelle they have such adorable dresses in both short and long sleeve. The attention to detail on the pieces is 👌.

Craziest award goes to the woman to issued a chargeback for $500 on the entire order because she got a store credit for a $100 dress she sent back after the money back policy was over. We fought it and won so she kept sending nasty emails. Finally she bought something on sale with the credit and then complained she wanted to return it. At that point we banned her from our store.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:51 am
amother Gold wrote:
How do you wait? Whenever I did I could not find anything in my kid’s sizes that they liked. I think for those of us that have to go through limited store stock it’s a terrible idea. You have access to things we don’t so yay you can wait. But you are just setting up people to be disappointed because at sale time the inventory is seriously lacking.

I hear you. It is easier for me Smile I know what sells and what I can wait around for. I buy 1-2 Shabbos and 1-2 weekday matching that I really like. The rest I fill in afterwards.

There’s plenty of sale stock for everyone. Tees, camp dresses, weekday sets… there will be stock. If you want or match 6 kids then maybe not, so like I said- buy the matching before. I do the same.

scintilla

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:55 am
Wow that must be a fun job! How do companies keep track of what's sold and what's still in stock with different locations and warehouses?
Do you know anything about the design end? I'm always so curious where the trends come from.

What always sells and what's always left over?

What surprises you about the industry?

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:07 am
amother OP wrote:
I really hate that too! Check out Nou Nelle they have such adorable dresses in both short and long sleeve. The attention to detail on the pieces is 👌.

Craziest award goes to the woman to issued a chargeback for $500 on the entire order because she got a store credit for a $100 dress she sent back after the money back policy was over. We fought it and won so she kept sending nasty emails. Finally she bought something on sale with the credit and then complained she wanted to return it. At that point we banned her from our store.

Thanks, I will check it out!
You sound like a lovely women and a great worker.

cupcake123

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:22 am
What's your favorite kids brand ?

fauxreal

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:25 am
Okay this has nothing with your position and it’s not a question and I know the stores have to make money but:

I wish brands wouldn’t advertise and push their collections 4-5 months before the clothes can even be worn.

I literally can’t think about buying short sleeves, but if I want sizes, I have to.

But you sound really lovely, and your job sounds awesome.

amother
Clover

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:28 am
I also run the shopify stores for a few frum clothing stores. Now I'm so curious which store you work for. I love my job but it definitely gets crazy before the season starts. For us ss24 hasn't launched yet.
ETA I also don't shop so early for my kids. I find thst I get burnt out from looking at children's clothing all day. It makes shopping for my family a chore.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:54 am
What's your markup? A frum popular children's store owner once told me that when she goes on sale at 30% off she breaks even, and anything more than that she's selling at a loss. Do you agree with that statement?

Also, I heard from another store owner that the most expensive and the least expensive merchandise sell out the fastest. Do you find that to be true?

What do you do with the merchandise that doesn't sell?

Do you find the very expensive brands tend to be better quality than many cheaper brands? For example, 1+ in the Family and Bebe Organic vs Deux Par Deux? And do you think it's worth the price?

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:19 pm
I have 3 boys, I see so many adorable things coming in everyday, I don’t want to shop yet cuz I have a feeling that many more cute things will still come in till after pesach. But I’m also anxious about stuff selling out.
I usually buy designer clothes like wynken, 1+in the family, the the new society ….. (not very expensive like bonpoint, philosophy, Sonia rykel…)
When is the best time to shop?

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:25 pm
Why are Pappantas so expensive???? I don’t find the quality to be anything great…

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:29 pm
I shop a lot from previous seasons but only non Jewish brands, because I feel like frum brands like little parni, Iill legs , kin kin etc are extremely popular. so basically by the time the season is over I’m pretty bored from seeing it on so many kids.
I know retrokid is a Jewish brand would you consider it as typical as the other Jewish brands (little parni…)
Or more like the non Jewish brands (Bebe organic…)?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics