Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Ideas for shabbos lunch instead of deli
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:44 am
My son asked for some kind of meat to serve at lunch on Shabbos. He doesn’t like Cholent and I prefer not to serve deli every week because of nitrates. Any ideas, maybe some kind of meat to wrap separately in the Cholent? I know they make pastrami and corned beef specifically for that which are delicious but full of nitrates.

Open to ideas! Thanks!

scruffy

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:48 am
I don't know how much you want to spend, but you can make skirt steak salad with the steak room temp for Shabbos day.

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:49 am
I think anything you put inside the cholent is going to end up with a cholenty taste even if wrapped.

I would consider roasting something like brisket seperately and serving it thinly sliced and eating as you would deli. Schnitzel, chicken nuggets and grilled chicken breast are always good as well.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:50 am
amother Feverfew wrote:
I think anything you put inside the cholent is going to end up with a cholenty taste even if wrapped.

I would consider roasting something like brisket seperately and serving it thinly sliced and eating as you would deli. Schnitzel, chicken nuggets and grilled chicken breast are always good as well.

He doesn’t seem to mind if I wrap and put in the Cholent. He doesn’t want chicken..
do you have a good recipe for a brisket that I can make and slice thinly? Any brisket recipe work?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:51 am
scruffy wrote:
I don't know how much you want to spend, but you can make skirt steak salad with the steak room temp for Shabbos day.

I like that idea but he doesn’t like salad … dealing with a picky eater here.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:52 am
How about a piece of yapchik in the cholent. Or you can have on the side- shnitzels, mazza, mini hot dogs, deli roll, meat burekahs
I’m sure whatever you do will be delicious.
Enjoy

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:55 am
Pastrami roast, put it on top of the cholent and it cooks that way in your crock pot. It doesn't taste like cholent, more likely that your cholent will get a little pastrami flavor.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:57 am
amother Rose wrote:
Pastrami roast, put it on top of the cholent and it cooks that way in your crock pot. It doesn't taste like cholent, more likely that your cholent will get a little pastrami flavor.

I’ve done this and we like it, but doesn’t that have nitrates? Is it bad to serve that once a week?

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:00 am
I usually my make a pastrami and/or corned beef for shabbos day because they’re great cold or room temperature
Also will sometimes add sliced oyster steak or London broil
I many times will also put up a second crockpot with a brisket in bbq sauce that I’ll pull for shabbos day and serve with tortilla chip, guacamole and and salsa

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:32 am
You can make rack of ribs and leave in the oven overnight. I do this on yt.

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:33 am
amother OP wrote:
He doesn’t seem to mind if I wrap and put in the Cholent. He doesn’t want chicken..
do you have a good recipe for a brisket that I can make and slice thinly? Any brisket recipe work?

I don't have an exact recipe but this is more or less what I do:

I prepare a pan lined with thick tin foil and parchment paper large and sturdy enough to wrap the entire piece of meat.

I place sliced onion on bottom of pan. I mix together about a third cup of ketchup, 1/4 cup mustard, fresh crushed garlic, some olive oil, white wine vinegar, black pepper and paprika and slather this over meat and place in dish. I scatter a few bay leaves and some allspice around the meat. I place uncovered in the oven on high heat for about ten minutes to sear off the meat . I then add about a cup of water, wrap the meat in the parchment paper and foil so that it is hermetically sealed and the moisture can't escape. I lower the flame and roast it low and slow for several hours.
Slice when cool.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:58 am
You can do London broil, sliced thinly is delicious at room temp. Take out of fridge right before seuda.
Here are some recipes:
https://search.kosher.com/sear.....age=1

lamplighter

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:59 am
We do London broil for shabbos lunch.

naomi2

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 12:19 pm
I have a second crockpot and I put a whole chicken in, spiced, no other liquid, breast side down. I start it right before shobbos in number 3 and it is soft and moist and delicious shobbos day.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 12:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’ve done this and we like it, but doesn’t that have nitrates? Is it bad to serve that once a week?

I really don't think so, it's a spiced raw meat.

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 12:33 pm
Make your own smoked brisket?

Or baked turkey breast sliced thinly. Rorie has a good recipe

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 1:11 pm
Any meat without a sauce will work Shabbos morning served room temp

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 2:36 pm
Thanks for all the ideas! Going to try one of them this week iyh.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 2:39 pm
Naval pastrami is yum in the chulent!! It stays in the bag so the chulent doesn’t get pastrami taste and pastrami doesn’t get chulent taste

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 2:58 pm
I make a meat board using an oyster steak and a chicken breast (both wrapped right after broiling and sliced thin before meal) and homemade beef jerky. Add ons of little bowls of sauces, pickles, crackers.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note