Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Honking horn for carpool
1  2  Next

Anonymiss 1

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:40 am
After what time in the morning do you think it’s acceptable to honk your horn for carpool pickup?

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:41 am
I don't think you should honk at all. They're supposed to be waiting outside at the designated time.
That said, I think that from 7:30-8:00 it's ok to honk.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:50 am
I do minyan carpool for middle school boys. I leave my house at 7:05. If the kids see me from the window, I don't honk. But if they don't, I'll gently tap my horn. If they don't come out, I send a kid from the carpool to knock on the door.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:57 am
I live in Baltimore and every few months there's a letter to the editor in the local magazine saying I'm an elderly person and I find the honking early in the morning disturbing please stop
But carpools and kids don't always run on the exact same schedule every day so it's not always so realistic that all the kids will be waiting at the window and honking is easier than calling or texting

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 10:11 am
amother Eggplant wrote:
I live in Baltimore and every few months there's a letter to the editor in the local magazine saying I'm an elderly person and I find the honking early in the morning disturbing please stop
But carpools and kids don't always run on the exact same schedule every day so it's not always so realistic that all the kids will be waiting at the window and honking is easier than calling or texting

Whether it's on the same schedule every day, the kids standing at the window is reasonable.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 10:11 am
amother Eggplant wrote:

I don't get the honking. Just send a kid out to knock or ring the bell. Really, texting is not so hard. Can we take a few seconds to be considerate of those around us?

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 10:13 am
amother Mint wrote:
I don't get the honking. Just send a kid out to knock or ring the bell. Really, texting is not so hard. Can we take a few seconds to be considerate of those around us?

Nope

amother
Lily

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:26 am
amother Salmon wrote:
I do minyan carpool for middle school boys. I leave my house at 7:05. If the kids see me from the window, I don't honk. But if they don't, I'll gently tap my horn. If they don't come out, I send a kid from the carpool to knock on the door.

It's going to make the same noise whether you tap gently or thump on it. The only difference is the duration.

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:29 am
amother Lily wrote:
It's going to make the same noise whether you tap gently or thump on it. The only difference is the duration.

Nope it is a softer sound compared to blasting down on the horn. That said I'm not sure what is appropriate.

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:30 am
amother Eggplant wrote:

I never understood this argument. I live in an area that on one side of me is a series of condo buildings popular with the 60 and up crowd who downsized their homes. On the other side is an assisted living building. Between the two I hear sirens at all hours but I would never complain ever. I just daven whoever needed the ambulance isn't too hurt. We all make noise no matter our age or life stage.

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:33 am
amother Lily wrote:

No, it's not so loud & strong if you just give a light tap on the horn.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:33 am
amother Mint wrote:

I agree, I'm not saying everyone should sit on their horns but mornings with carpools and little kids can get stressful. People can make a chat of everyone in the carpool and the driver can text when they're leaving their house so kids can be waiting.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:38 am
mha3484 wrote:
I never understood this argument. I live in an area that on one side of me is a series of condo buildings popular with the 60 and up crowd who downsized their homes. On the other side is an assisted living building. Between the two I hear sirens at all hours but I would never complain ever. I just daven whoever needed the ambulance isn't too hurt. We all make noise no matter our age or life stage.

Here's the difference though: ambulances are necessary noise, honking is not. And choosing to live in a location with lots of noise is a choice as well.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 12:12 pm
Seriously? Where I live traffic is going strong at 7 AM, think busses, trucks and cars and all other vehicles I haven't mentioned. Honking or not won't make a difference here.

farm

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 12:23 pm
I have so. much. stress from my boys’ Sunday morning carpools. I get sweet ‘anonymous’ notes in my mailbox asking me to make sure the carpool doesn’t beep on Sunday morning when they want to sleep late. I make sure my boys are standing in front of an open door at least 5 minutes early. And beg the carpool drivers to please please please remember not to beep by me. And then cringing each time when a driver zooms up in front of my house and beeps without giving a second for my kid to close the door behind him. The only weeks I don’t have this stress is when it’s our turn to drive!
I wish the note writer (writers?) would realize it’s not in my control at this point and I’m so sorry 😞

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 12:24 pm
We are in Israel. 7.00am is mid morning by us (just kidding). Many men and women daven Neitz at the Kosel. (5.25am bus). By 7.10 young students are already on buses for minyan. 7.30 am you see the young ladies on buses on the way to school. I would say ok to honk at 7.00-7.15 am for sure. Most working families get their children out early to Babysitters and day care centers so they themselves can get to work. By the way, give a short honk. Do not keep your arm on the Horn.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 12:29 pm
This thread is making me laugh. I live in Israel now although I grew up elsewhere not in USA. There is digging and drilling nearly every week at 7 am. No, I didn't like it. If you want quiet, get yourself a huge property out in Nevada.

Americans are so _.

amother
White

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 12:38 pm
No really relevant to me as I don't carpool (we live a block away from school) but where I live if a driver won't beep, within seconds traffic piles up behind it and it's a bunch of drivers beeping.... the amount of time it's takes to look up a number and text would be to long. So better for that one carpool driver to just beep.... (Lots of times there's no space for the driver to pull to side, and sometimes if there is, it's a small space and takes time to pull into... So it would make the whole carpool late if he did that by every stop...)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 2:01 pm
I live in a city where people start their day early. It's definitely OK to honk at 7am. And most people have biggish properties and it's a distance from the street to the front spot so everybody honks.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 2:03 pm
Someone in my area honks ABNOXIOUSLY at 7am. Very rude.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette