Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ISO surgeon that shaves /shrinks englarged tonsils

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:04 am
And adenoids.
Anyone have someone who was great that they recommend?

oneofakind

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:14 am
FYI Plenty of kids needed to redo the surgery as an emergency and get the tonsils removed.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:27 am
We used Dr Kazahaya at CHOP. We had a problem a few days later with bleeding, and we needed to go back to have it cauterized. After that all was fine. Edited to add, that was just for tonsils. Adenoids had been removed previously.

Lkwdmom4

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:30 am
My son had a T&A at CHOP and although they didn't shave or shrink the tonsils they did not do a full tonsillectomy. They did something called an intracapsular tonsillectomy. The doctor described it as cutting into a balloon, deflating it by removing all the tissue from inside it, but leaving the actual balloon tissue intact. With this procedure there is a reduced risk of bleeding and officially a quicker recovery. There is, however, a slight risk of the tonsils re-growing (the risk is greater in very young children - younger than 3 IIRC).

Orangehead

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 12:10 pm
My son has his tonsils "shaved". The correct term is intracapsular tonsillectomy. They actually cauterize all the tonsillar tissue minus the part that is attached to the mouth wall. The recovery was amazing. He went to school 2 days later. I did give the teacher preventative tylenol so he would not have pain while he was there. We did it with Dr Jacobs in CHOP.
In terms of growing back. It is a possibility. We took the risk. Its a 1-2 day recovery vs a 3 week recovery. I say the risk is worth it. Been 3 years and nothing grew back bh.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 12:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
And adenoids.
Anyone have someone who was great that they recommend?

Location?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 1:33 pm
Just have to say that my son's recovery was NOT amazing with the intracapsular tonsillectomy. He was in a lot of pain, especially days 3-6 post surgery and it took 10 days for him to really feel back to himself. Definitely an easier recovery than my son who had a complete tonsillectomy but I wouldn't expect such a quick recovery for most kids.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 1:45 pm
I just did that for my son 3 year old! He was back in school less that 48 hours later. The surgeon said the younger the easier the recovery.
Surgeon was dr Dolitsky.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 2:00 pm
2 of my kids had it done by Dr. Dolitsky. He is great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics