Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How would you handle this AirBNB policy?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:06 pm
We are planning on a short family vacation in the next few weeks. The goal is to go somewhere away from where we live, find a nice house with some amenities, and just chill and relax together.
We found a perfect listing at a very good price. We would leave our house on Sunday, get there after 4 pm check-in and then leave Tuesday morning to come back home.

The checkout time listed is 10 am. I asked the owner if we can extend it slightly as we take good care to clean up after ourselves and don't want to get up at the crack of dawn to do so.
She responded that this is not possible because they are booked back to back and their cleaning crew needs sufficient time to clean the whole place. (it's a huge house so I can understand).

I then responded that I get it; would they make a fuss if we ended up walking out closer to 10:30/10:45?
She said, "if you really want that late checkout, book an additional night and we'll give you a 50% discount."

Eh, what about them being booked back to back? According to the AirBNB listing, the house is not reserved again until a week after we leave.

I really want the house; it's gorgeous and meets all our requirements. It's expensive and really beyond our budget but we would splurge because it looks awesome.
But I REALLY don't want to feel like I have to run out promptly at 10 am.

I'm annoyed at the owner, to be honest. (it's a management company; maybe that's the difference?)

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:08 pm
This is a typical reason for them having rules like this, everyone thinks that their exception is no big deal.
I think the 50% off is a fair deal and you should book it

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:09 pm
10am check out is reasonable. Most hotels have 10am checkout . Sometimes you get late checkout sometimes you don’t. Sounds like it late checkout is important to you find another listing

Eta I’m Wondering, are you an inexperienced traveler? Because 10am is really so normal. We usually pack up the night before so the morning goes smoother.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:11 pm
What's to handle? It's a normal policy. Accept their offer, or leave hy 10, or find another place to rent.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:13 pm
If you're waking up at dawn to clean up after yourselves to leave at 10, you're doing way too much.

Take the 10 AM checkout and don't worry as much about the cleaning.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:13 pm
I get you, it's really annoying. Especially since you know she's lying to you but it's her house, her rules...
It's upsetting but there's nothing to do!
Either accept the deal or leave early! Sad

amother
Maple

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:15 pm
She doesn't necessarily mean that someone is definitely staying there but that someone could potentially book for the next day, and she wants to be able to accommodate that. I don't think the policy is unreasonable.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:22 pm
We had the same thing. We had to be out by 10 am. We asked for the possibility of later checkout but figured they wouldn't be able to (or want to) accommodate. Which they didn't. So we made it our business to be out by 10. It was hard though, not gonna lie. Dh and I are both not morning ppl.

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:23 pm
What entitlement. Thats the rule. Either pay more money and stay or leave at the time. It's not a surprise you know about it. Why does the cleaning staff have to rush or rearrange their schedule because you want to stay later for free?

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:34 pm
Hey OP, you're being attacked here so I'm just jumping on to say that I've stayed by many many Airbnbs and they often do let you stay late if you ask. Not sure why everyone is jumping on you. It's annoying that they said no, and it's still possible that if it doesn't end up being booked for the next night and you ask again closer to the actual stay that they will let you.
Enjoy your vacation!

singleagain

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:36 pm
Is it possible it's booked in another website? Or maybe a personal visit?

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:39 pm
I have an Airbnb and my checkout time happens to be 11. However ppl ask all the time if they can have late checkout and usually answer is no. A few things:

1. The cleaning crew is coordinated to come right after checkout so the house is ready for the next guests and potential damages can be accounted for.

2. Sometimes it's booked with VRBO and not Airbnb for the next day. Most houses are on there as well as other sites.

3. I get last minute bookings so often the house needs to be ready. Just this week I got one booked and they came half hour later.

I think that the policy is the policy ...if they dont allow late check out it's too bad.

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:40 pm
singleagain wrote:
Is it possible it's booked in another website? Or maybe a personal visit?

Or it can book at a later date even if it's not booked now.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:47 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
Hey OP, you're being attacked here so I'm just jumping on to say that I've stayed by many many Airbnbs and they often do let you stay late if you ask. Not sure why everyone is jumping on you. It's annoying that they said no, and it's still possible that if it doesn't end up being booked for the next night and you ask again closer to the actual stay that they will let you.
Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you! I was beginning to think that I was a self-centered, entitled woman.
I think we'll pass on the rental even though my kids are angry at me and think I should be more flexible about the 10 am.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
I think we'll pass on the rental even though my kids are angry at me and think I should be more flexible about the 10 am.

Listen, it's your money and your decision but you said the listing was perfect and the house was gorgeous- do you really want to give it up over a half hour?? (Since you said 10:30 would be doable for you) Especially if your kids are already looking forward to it..

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:53 pm
You should get your kids on board to
Help checkout on time !

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

OP I get you I'm not a morning person and would find 10 am hard. But I think I would still take the house if everything else about it works for you

Personally, what I do when we stay in airbnb is clean up and pack up everything the night before. I just leave out the bare minimum we need for the morning. We also try to load the car the night before and just leave out one small suit case for the morning. That way the morning goes really smoothly and we're not rushing. And no need to wake up at the crack of dawn

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:02 pm
amother OP wrote:

I will try to be more flexible about the 10:00 a.m. You going to give up a perfect house because of an hour? You don't have to leave them perfect either. The cleaning crews used to having a messy house to clean

amother
Mimosa

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:41 pm
I would book an extra day at 50% off
Not to clean. They made it clear that that’s not your job.
Just to have extra time to be able to leave without feeling pressured.

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
We are planning on a short family vacation in the next few weeks. The goal is to go somewhere away from where we live, find a nice house with some amenities, and just chill and relax together.
We found a perfect listing at a very good price. We would leave our house on Sunday, get there after 4 pm check-in and then leave Tuesday morning to come back home.

The checkout time listed is 10 am. I asked the owner if we can extend it slightly as we take good care to clean up after ourselves and don't want to get up at the crack of dawn to do so.
She responded that this is not possible because they are booked back to back and their cleaning crew needs sufficient time to clean the whole place. (it's a huge house so I can understand).

I then responded that I get it; would they make a fuss if we ended up walking out closer to 10:30/10:45?
She said, "if you really want that late checkout, book an additional night and we'll give you a 50% discount."

Eh, what about them being booked back to back? According to the AirBNB listing, the house is not reserved again until a week after we leave.

I really want the house; it's gorgeous and meets all our requirements. It's expensive and really beyond our budget but we would splurge because it looks awesome.
But I REALLY don't want to feel like I have to run out promptly at 10 am.

I'm annoyed at the owner, to be honest. (it's a management company; maybe that's the difference?)

I use AirBNBs a lot and they often say 10, and I always ask for 11 or 12 and always get it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics