Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Late bedtimes for all

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 5:25 pm
We are on school holidays now, (uk), and after a long fun day, my little ones got to bed late. But by the time they are all settled, it’s my big ones normal bedtime. But he doesn’t feel it’s fair to go to bed on time when the littles went to sleep late…
I let him stay up a bit longer than usual and he was ok with that, but is he right? Should he go to sleep a fair bit later than normal just because the littles did?

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 5:28 pm
If he wants to & there's no school tomorrow, then I don't see why not. It's not something to make into a fight.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 5:30 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
If he wants to & there's no school tomorrow, then I don't see why not. It's not something to make into a fight.

BH there was no fight! He was exhausted as well so a little late was more than enough for him but yes I hear your point - thank you.

Is it something I should be giving him without him asking? It just seemed sensible to me that just cos the others got to sleep late at least let him get a full night. But maybe I should be offering the late night option.

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 5:32 pm
None of my kids go to bed easily so vacation I am very chilled. I call it my emotional vacation.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 5:40 pm
In theory- he’s wrong

One goes to sleep at a set time regardless of when others went to sleep.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 5:42 pm
OP if he is not over tired and cranky, you can say ''The others are asleep now. Your bedtime is usually 8.15pm. but if you like and because you are on Holiday , you can have a treat and stay up until 8.45pm. it's up to you when you want to get into bed either of those times. '' He might feel like he has a choice and fun for him. Maybe he wants Mommy time when the others are asleep.

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 5:43 pm
You don't need to offer.
If he asks, it would appropriate to go along with his request - why not?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 5:47 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
OP if he is not over tired and cranky, you can say ''The others are asleep now. Your bedtime is usually 8.15pm. but if you like and because you are on Holiday , you can have a treat and stay up until 8.45pm. it's up to you when you want to get into bed either of those times. '' He might feel like he has a choice and fun for him. Maybe he wants Mommy time when the others are asleep.

I like that- thank you for your perspective

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 5:48 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
You don't need to offer.
If he asks, it would appropriate to go along with his request - why not?

Yep I did, just was wondering if his request was reasonable and something I should now do without him asking
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics