Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Please help me get rid of stuff

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 7:59 pm
I have so much junk including things like old pairs of flowery underwear (not new but semi-decent condition, but now I pretty much only wear very dark underwear when tehora and white for zayin nekiim). Plus I have other random clothes that I hope (perhaps vainly) that I might might might fit into again one day….if my breasts ever shrink (am BF right now and big on top), but I’m not sure how realistic it is that I’m actually gonna ever be a size small/medium (2-4) again. I have a bunch of shells in size M that I am reluctant to give away, because what if I fit back into that size again in the future and then have to go buy new shells? OTOH I don’t need the old clothes cluttering up the storage spaces. But ahh I’m stuck. Thanks to anyone with good tips or advice.

(No thanks to Mari Kondo…if I was able to throw out everything that doesn’t “spark joy” I’d throw out some of DH’s junk and “joy”ful things like the property tax bill.)

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 8:04 pm
Pretend you’re moving? 😅
Call over a pragmatic and private friend you trust to walk you through it?
Imagine how free you’ll feel with the stuff gone?
Also/ what are the chances you’ll need all the stuff that you throw out? So even if you need a small percentage of the stuff, and end up having to pay a few hundred or a thousand dollars to buy stuff you had thrown out- isn’t that cost worth the menuchas hanefesh of having a decluttered home? Talking to myself here Wink

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 8:04 pm
An organizer wrote this on another thread:

Decluttering

Take each item, and make a 30 second decision of what to keep or let go.

*How to judge:

Did I use this in the last 1/2 year, do I see myself using it in the next 1/2 year? (If yes, keep it) [Unless its a seasonal item or like maternity that I hope to wear soon]

Do I have the space for it and is it worth the space it's using?

Do I have it just because I own it? (Let it go)

Does it bring me pleasure/joy? (Keep it)

Has it seen better days? (Let it go)

Can someone else benefit from it now? (Let them enjoy it)

Is it sentimental? (Either you find the space for it or take a picture of it for memories and let it go)

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 8:28 pm
I find that anything I can say "well one day I might fit into it again" is automatically an item to get rid of, unless its right after giving birth or something like that.

It took me a while to learn that, but at one point I looked at the boxes and boxes of "skinny clothes" I had saved, and said- its been 8 years. I gotta move on.

I still hope ill get back down to my original size, and if that ever happens Ill just have to get a new wardrobe.

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:12 am
It's all psychological.
If you eventually get back to your previous size, the clothes will be out of style and/or deteriorated. You know this to be true, you're just not willing to admit it. Closet stains, yellowing, stiffened or brittle elastic...the stuff won't be wearable. Cut up the undies into small pieces and use instead of tissues or wipes for tiny cleanup jobs. The other stuff, judge whether you would buy it today in its current condition. If yes, give away to a gmach, thrift shop, clothing drive, or friend. If no, and it's 100% cotton, cut up into cleaning rags. If no and it's 100% silk, cut up into polishing cloths for eyeglasses. If no, and it's a blend or synthetic, throw out.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:19 pm
Thank you all so much!! This is really really helpful. I put a bunch of stuff in a bag to get rid of and put it in the trunk of the car. Thank you for helping me clarify why it’s been hard for me to let go of stuff that I haven’t worn in years and will likely not fit into again in the foreseeable future (although who knows, Hashem can do anything, right? Including make me magically thin and trim and all that Tongue Out)

zaq

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 10:52 am
amother OP wrote:
(although who knows, Hashem can do anything, right? Including make me magically thin and trim and all that Tongue Out)

In which case you will deserve new clothes, not stuff a decade or more old.

fig

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:12 pm
Organizers costs. thousands of dollars.
Tell yourself you will throw away $1000k worth of things to have an organized house …You will love the free space.

peace2

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:16 pm
2 tips for getting rid of stuff:
1. Put the things you're not sure about in a box or bag in the back of your closet. If after a month or 2 (or whatever timeline you set for yourself) you haven't opened the bag, just get rid of it.
2. For clothes: at the beginning of the season, turn all your hangers backwards in your closet. As you wear things and put them back, hang them up the normal way. At the end of the season, anything that's on a backwards hanger is give away- if you didn't wear it this entire season, you won't wear it next year either

zaq

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 4:45 pm
peace2 wrote:
At the end of the season, anything that's on a backwards hanger is give away- if you didn't wear it this entire season, you won't wear it next year either

With two exceptions: classic special-occasion items you may have use for only once in a blue moon but wouldn't want to have to buy new each time, like a magnificent formal gown; and severe-weather items you might not wear at all if you happen to have a mild winter but wouldn't want to be without if next winter proves to be a doozy. But you don't need to keep three each of the formal gowns, foul-weather coats and ski sweaters; one each will do.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 5:35 pm
Yael wiesner is having a clutter purging challenge for chodesh adar.
Day 1, throw out or give away 1 thing.
Day 2, 2 things.
Until on day 30 its 30. Not sure what ill get rid of on day 30!!! (Or 20 for that matter!!! Maybe dried up markers)
It gets rid of hundreds of things.

I'm trying it because my house is full of things.

Step one was going through my girls' closet and filling a bag of giveaway- clothes that can't be passed down and are out dated or no one wants to wear. (Some throw away too)

I threw out weird sprinkles that have no taste
Plastic containers that have no lids and lids that have no containers, etc.

Today is day 8.

I have cardigans that haven't fit me in 7 years (I had two babies and gained weight). It will be hard but I think its time to give them away to someone more slender... I'm going to try to tackle my clothes that I haven't worn in years.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 5:36 pm
I started yo listen to her steps of how to declutter
https://ladiestalkshow.com/yae.....essy/

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 6:18 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:

LOVE this episode!!

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 6:20 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Yael wiesner is having a clutter purging challenge for chodesh adar.
Day 1, throw out or give away 1 thing.
Day 2, 2 things.
Until on day 30 its 30. Not sure what ill get rid of on day 30!!! (Or 20 for that matter!!! Maybe dried up markers)
It gets rid of hundreds of things.

I'm trying it because my house is full of things.

Step one was going through my girls' closet and filling a bag of giveaway- clothes that can't be passed down and are out dated or no one wants to wear. (Some throw away too)

I threw out weird sprinkles that have no taste
Plastic containers that have no lids and lids that have no containers, etc.

Today is day 8.

I have cardigans that haven't fit me in 7 years (I had two babies and gained weight). It will be hard but I think its time to give them away to someone more slender... I'm going to try to tackle my clothes that I haven't worn in years.

Where do you follow her?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 10:41 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
Where do you follow her?

She has a website which is actually very interesting. I doubt she has other forms of social media.

https://yaelwiesner.com/pre-pesach-purge/

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 8:05 pm
Thanks ladies!! This is super helpful!

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 8:06 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:

Thank you! Great tips!

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 8:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all so much!! This is really really helpful. I put a bunch of stuff in a bag to get rid of and put it in the trunk of the car. Thank you for helping me clarify why it’s been hard for me to let go of stuff that I haven’t worn in years and will likely not fit into again in the foreseeable future (although who knows, Hashem can do anything, right? Including make me magically thin and trim and all that Tongue Out)

And also He can give you the means to buy new clothes that you feel good in when that happens

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 8:12 pm
amother Silver wrote:
And also He can give you the means to buy new clothes that you feel good in when that happens

True!

(Maybe He can also give me the patience to go shopping or try on clothes at that point in the future as well...I think part of my resistance is because I really hate shopping and trying on clothes, and so if I have these clothes already, then I can "get out of" having to go shopping and try on tops and skirts and dresses and sweaters etc.. I used to enjoy it but now it just overwhelms and exhausts me for some reason, so I try to avoid going. Plus there's the financial piece. Food shopping is fun though!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics