Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is this considered shaking a baby?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:40 am
I have a newborn who was extremely kvetchy tonight. DH took over trying to calm him down. I came back in to the room to see DH holding baby in a cradle position and jiggling his arm to sort of shake the baby. I freaked out and told DH that that’s shaking the baby. DH said Shaken Baby is only if the baby’s head isn’t supported and/or you shake hard enough that the baby’s head jerks too much.

Is he right?

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:41 am
He's correct. But if it's making you uncomfortable he should still stop.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:42 am
I dont think little vibrations is called shaking a baby. I think its roughly shaking a baby in a way that can cause brain damage

It sounds like he was doing something similar to what those baby bouncer vibrate settings do.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:43 am
Yes. But I literally had the same exact thing the other day and I still asked him to stop because it makes me nervous.

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:43 am
Not a problem, this is what I do all the time to calm fussy babies. Shaken baby syndrome is from violent shaking.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:45 am
octopus wrote:
He's correct. But if it's making you uncomfortable he should still stop.

Thank you! He did stop but was extremely irritated by my anxiety on the matter

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:49 am
amother Winterberry wrote:
Not a problem, this is what I do all the time to calm fussy babies. Shaken baby syndrome is from violent shaking.

For newborn even nonviolent shaking can be dangerous. Their brains are so so delicate and fragile. But this doesn't sound like shaking at all. Vibrations are very soothing and calming for babies. I have a vibrating seat and my babies loved it. What could be better than being held in fairest strong big arms with gentle vibrations soothing you? Lucky baby.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:56 am
He is correct.
Shaken baby syndrome happens from really violent shaking. The kind of force thats done when applying full force. Not jiggling, even if its fast jiggling. Thats fine.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:58 am
Thank you all for your responses! I guess I’m just extremely overtired and anxious

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 1:02 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all for your responses! I guess I’m just extremely overtired and anxious

You're doing great, mama! Hang in there, kvetchy babies can be hard on the nerves. Just thank DH for taking over, and rest while you can.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 1:21 am
Do you mean that he was rocking the baby?

myname1

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 5:22 am
I agree, sounds like he was just rocking baby in a soothing way. Did it help calm baby? That's what those vibrating bouncer seats do, or a car ride. "Shaking" I think could be even with head support, but it would look more rough, like raising his arm fast all the way up and down. I can't even picture doing it in that position. Picture a frustrated adult holding a baby and shaking it like they're shaking a bottle of juice or something. I don't think it's easy for a reasonably calm, loving parent to do.

English3

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 5:40 am
|Its not dangerous but you can teach how to hold the the baby in a different position. Have the baby lie stomach down in the hand and let the head rest face down in the nook of the elbow. It is very comforting for the baby and helps them calm down quickly.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 7:33 am
Maybe you should ask a health professional to clarify so you can calm down? Thinking that rocking a baby is dangerous can indicate that you’re not familiar with what’s considered safe- I can see this as having potential to cause issues- in terms of caring for your baby in a more relaxed manner and in your relationship with your dh.
It’s clear you love your baby and just want the best for your baby.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 8:08 am
Look for dr karp five s’s he teaches how to calm babies in safe manner. He actually developed this to reduce shaking baby. He explains the difference and the safety.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics