Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Omg! I can’t believe how dumb I am 😆
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 4:41 am
Roots wrote:
remember Hermione, when we just started with harry potter- before the movie came out- we pronounced HER-MEE-OWN
and in twilight carlisle CAR-LISS-LEE

Yep I was guilty of the her-mee-own, I remember the make believe games Can't Believe It

JasmineDragon

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 5:09 am
amother Moccasin wrote:
Yep I was guilty of the her-mee-own, I remember the make believe games Can't Believe It

Her-mee-own was a super common mistake. I'm pretty sure the the scene in book 4 where Hermione is teaching Krum how to pronounce her name only existed as a way to teach the readers how to say it properly.

pinkpeonies

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 6:06 am
amother Burntblack wrote:
They were also locked up in jail for the rest of their lives. Anyone who was intimate with the king could no longer be intimate with anyone else ever again. I can't imagine, thousands of Jewish girls forced to be pretty and intimate then locked in jail for the rest of their lives.

It wasn’t “jail”
It was a harem
They weren’t in cells. They were basically pilagshim- always on call if achashveirosh wanted to sleep with them

Fascinatingly, Esther was able to “sleep” with achashveirosh in 2 possible ways
1- a malach came and took her place
2- קרקע עולם היתה: she made herself into the dirt of the ground. As in she did not take one step to go to the king. She didn’t beautify herself, and she had to be physically dragged there (we see this from the trop over the words in the megilla- בהגיע תור אסתר בת אביחיל. The trop is מונח, מונח,מונח, מונח)
In this way, it was as if she didn’t actually sleep with him, and she was able to go to the mikva every month and return to mordechai

When she made the decision to go to achashveirosh later on in the story, it was a huge huge decision, because this time she was going on her own accord. She would never again be able to go back to mordechai.
She saved the entire Jewish people, but essentially destroyed her life in the process

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 6:11 am
amother Crimson wrote:
When I learned to drive at age 28, I learned that when a STOP sign says under it ALL WAY, it does not mean to stop all the way.

All stops signs mean to stop all the way. Complete stop at a stop sign.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 6:17 am
Only recently learned that cajole is pronounced like "cudgle" not ca-jole (rhymes with bowl)

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 7:01 am
Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Don't remember when I realized that Juan is pronounced Wahn.
And Jose-Hosay

Also Frum men who speak Spanish with name Yossi spell their name Jose and pronounce it “chosee” (with a ches sound).

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 7:14 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
Only recently learned that cajole is pronounced like "cudgle" not ca-jole (rhymes with bowl)

I cannot find any source that says it's pronounced cudgle rather than ca-jole. Everywhere I checked shows it is pronounced ca-jole, emphasis on the second syllable.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 7:26 am
amother Dimgray wrote:

To beat someone or to convince with badgering?

essie14

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 7:38 am
amother Dimgray wrote:

it's Kah-JOLE

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 8:55 am
They were also locked up in jail for the rest of their lives. Anyone who was intimate with the king could no longer be intimate with anyone else ever again. I can't imagine, thousands of Jewish girls forced to be pretty and intimate then locked in jail for the rest of their lives.

Why are we assuming there were thousands s of Jewish girls?
This went on for several years (anyone remember how many?) and with one a night it would be in the thousands
But I would assume that the overwhelming majority were NOT Jewish

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 9:28 am

After they were with him, they were then considered concubines.

They were not locked up, as in an actual jail. But yes, they had to stay in the harem where they housed concubines and could never be with another man.

The king could call on them as he desired.

Always made me think…so who did the men of that time frame end up with? Since most girls went/where taken to the king…

But I digress (pronounced dye-gress not dih-griss)…

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 9:38 am
amother Stonewash wrote:
What then?

Awry is pronounced uh-rye not awe-ri

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 10:34 am
amother Hosta wrote:
After they were with him, they were then considered concubines.

Never heard that they were locked up, as in an actual jail. But yes, they had to stay in the harem where they housed concubines and could never be with another man.

The king could call on them as he desired.

Always made me think…so who did the men of that time frame end up with? Since most girls went/where taken to the king…

But I digress (pronounced dye-gress not dih-griss)…

So shidduch crisis originated in Persia?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 10:38 am
Did no one learn the month song like this?

30 days had September
April June and November
All the rest have 31
Except for February

Nothing else after that.

Also in the Megillah
וְהָמָן֙ נֹפֵ֗ל עַל־הַמִּטָּה֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֶסְתֵּ֣ר עָלֶ֔יהָ וַיֹּ֣אמֶר הַמֶּ֔לֶךְ הֲ֠גַ֠ם לִכְבּ֧וֹשׁ
I never understood why achashverosh was so mad that haman was begging for his life until someone pointed out to me what he thought haman was doing with Esther on her bed.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 10:50 am
amother Green wrote:
Did no one learn the month song like this?

30 days had September
April June and November
All the rest have 31
Except for February

Nothing else after that.

Also in the Megillah
וְהָמָן֙ נֹפֵ֗ל עַל־הַמִּטָּה֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֶסְתֵּ֣ר עָלֶ֔יהָ וַיֹּ֣אמֶר הַמֶּ֔לֶךְ הֲ֠גַ֠ם לִכְבּ֧וֹשׁ
I never understood why achashverosh was so mad that haman was begging for his life until someone pointed out to me what he thought haman was doing with Esther on her bed.

We sang 30 days has September, April, June and November. All the rest have 31, except for February which has 28
Or 29

The end and no rhyme!

Queen Of Hearts

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 10:53 am
amother OP wrote:
We sang 30 days has September, April, June and November. All the rest have 31, except for February which has 28
Or 29

The end and no rhyme!

Same.
Were we in the same school? Wink
I don't know how all the other versions with the extra words even fit into the tune...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 10:55 am
Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Same.
Were we in the same school? Wink
I don't know how all the other versions with the extra words even fit into the tune...

With a big pause between 28 and or 29?

No I was your teacher! LOL

Queen Of Hearts

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 10:57 am
amother OP wrote:
With a big pause between 28 and or 29?

No I was your teacher! LOL

Oooh now I'm really curious...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 11:42 am
Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Oooh now I'm really curious...

My oldest students are about 18-19 now and most of them are boys so Tongue Out
(And most have DS, CP or ASD with a sprinkling of some very rare diagnosis)

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:39 pm
Iymnok wrote:
As a young reader, I was sure that "chaos" was a Yiddish word, the ch had a "ח" sound.

And when I saw the Chevy name on the cars, spelled Chevrolet, I pronounced it- חברה'לאט!!! Chevra-lot!!! Very Happy
Page 8 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics