Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Omg! I can’t believe how dumb I am 😆
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 1:16 pm
galpal wrote:
Huh?

I guess that I just found out that I am not great at explaining LOL For further clarification:

Have You Been Misled by ‘Misles’? The Linguistics Behind These Commonly Mispronounced Words
By Ellen Gutoskey | Feb 16, 2024, 9:16 AM EST

They're misleading.
They're misleading. / Youst/DigitalVision Vectors
In November 1991, Eric Wolfe posted in the Usenet group rec.arts.books regarding the word misled, which had appeared in the previous message. Wolfe knew now that it was the past-tense form of the verb mislead, pronounced “miss-LED.” But for a good 15 or 20 years, he’d misread it as “MY-zuld,” as though it were the past-tense form of misle.

He ended his confession with a question: “Has anyone had similar experiences?”

Oh, had they. One case involved confusion over why one clothing item wasn’t called a “cloe”; another centered on the late-stage realization that policy wasn’t “police-y.” One user copped to having “labored under the belief that mystery novels were classified as to quality … by the ‘whod’ unit.” Some people cited pop culture references to the confusion over misled: It had come up in Anne Tyler’s 1985 novel The Accidental Tourist and the BBC’s 1975 television adaptation of Richard Llewellyn’s novel How Green Was My Valley.

The conversation soon moved to a more germane Usenet group, alt.usage.english, where misled and other misled-like pronunciation mistakes became a recurring topic. In June 1997, Donna Richoux suggested calling them “misles.” She thought the term was “befittingly difficult to figure out how to pronounce,” considering that various users had reported mispronouncing misled as “MY-zuld,” “mizzled” (like grizzled), and even “miled” (in the vein of isle). Technically, misle was already a word: It’s a nonstandard spelling of the verb mizzle, meaning either “to drizzle” or “to confuse, muddle, mystify,” per the Oxford English Dictionary. But Richoux’s nominalized version was new territory, and it stuck.

Doing the Splits
What exactly qualifies as a misle, meanwhile, is still up for debate. “As with many linguistic terms (notably, ‘word’), it isn’t actually that easy to come up with a watertight definition,” Beatrice Santorini, a senior fellow in the University of Pennsylvania’s department of linguistics, tells Mental Floss.

Who will erd these goaths? / Grant Faint/The Image Bank/Getty Images
Many oft-cited misles do have this in common, though: The mispronunciation occurs because the speaker incorrectly splits up the parts of the word. For instance, you assume awry is a combination of aw- (like awful and awesome) and -ry (like scary and furry)—so you misread it as “AWE-ree.” But it’s actually “a+wry,” hence the accurate pronunciation “uh-RYE.” Biopic is a similar case: It looks like the prefix bi- and the suffix -opic, so you think “bye-AH-pic,” like myopic. But biopic doesn’t comprise those two parts: It’s “bio+pic,” abbreviated from biographical picture—so, “BYE-oh-pick.”

Sometimes it’s less about morphemes than phonemes. You see the -th- in goatherd, for example, and your mind jumps to “GOATH-erd” before you can process that it’s goat and herd. Or you pronounce deicer as “DICE-er” instead of “de-ICE-er” because the -ei- calls to mind words like height and feisty.

But the reason for the misunderstanding isn’t always quite so clear. Take misled, the word that started it all. It could be tricky in part because we’re used to de-emphasizing -led in past-tense verbs like hassled, titled, and puzzled. Santorini has another theory. “I think the thing that really favors the misanalysis is that the prefix mis is so relatively long compared to the stem led,” she says.

The Misle-verse of Madness
All this is not to say that a mispronunciation must involve faulty part-splitting in order to be a true misle; again, misle an unofficial classification with no formal definition. You could argue that a misle is any word whose spelling leaves room for confusion. In that case, words like boatswain (pronounced “BO-sun”) and colonel (“KER-nul,” like kernel), which simply look a lot different than they sound, would qualify. You could also toss in foreign-language loanwords like rendezvous, which many a young reader has interpreted as “REN-dez-voos.”

Very apply. / Steve Terrill/Corbis Documentary/Getty Images
The term misles has even been used as a direct synonym for book words—words commonly mispronounced because people typically encounter them on the page before ever hearing them. “To my mind, the two terms are fairly orthogonal,” Santorini says. “For me, book words are words that are not part of the vernacular, whether misanalyzed or not. Misles, by definition, are misanalyzed, but not necessarily terribly bookish. It’s probably true, though, that book words have a greater chance of being misanalyzed.”

Plenty of misles are indeed part of our everyday lexicon: Mother has been mistaken for “MOTH-er” (evidently someone who works with moths in some unspecified way), and apply for “apple-y.” Santorini recently had a misle experience with a familiar word in her first language, German: “The other day, I misparsed the German ‘be-inhalt-en’ (to contain) as ‘bein-halten,’ (to leg-hold, a possible though non-existing verb), but the intended verb isn’t terribly uncommon.”

And if even linguists can be misled by misles, there’s no shame in letting one get the better of you. In fact, it can be pretty funny. Take a look at 10 of our favorite misles below, many of them pulled from a list that Richoux compiled in alt.usage.english in 2002.

1. Barfly

Two barflies. / clu/DigitalVision Vectors/Getty Images
A barfly—comprising bar and fly—is someone who spends a lot of time in bars. But the term has been misread as “BARF-lee” (as in “barf+ly”), which could easily be a slangy synonym for disgusting.

2. Bedraggled
Bedraggled isn’t “bed+raggled.” It’s “be+draggled,” from a verb meaning “to wet (dress, skirts, or the like) so that they drag, or hang limp and clinging with moisture,” per the Oxford English Dictionary.

3. Codeveloper
Codeveloper is “co+developer,” but it’s been misread as “code+veloper”—one who “velops” code, which isn’t a thing.

4. Coworker

No orking allowed. / John M Lund Photography Inc/DigitalVision/Getty Images
Similarly, coworker has been misread as “cow+orker”—one who “orks” cows.

5. Draught
Draught looks like it would rhyme with taught and caught, but it’s pronounced exactly like draft.

6. Epitome
Many early readers have learned the hard way that epitome is pronounced “eh-PIH-tuh-mee,” not “EP-ih-tohm.”

7. Infrared

'Infrared' doesn't rhyme with 'scared.' / Joseph Giacomin/Image Source/Getty Images
It’s “infra+red,” not “in+frared,” so you say “IN-fruh-red.”

8. Sidereal
Sidereal, meaning “starlike,” is pronounced “sigh-DEER-ee-ull,” like cereal and ethereal. It’s not “side+real.”

9. Underfed
Underfed—as in “under+fed”—has been mistaken for “un+derfed,” meaning “not derfed,” which isn’t a thing, either. (Though derf did once exist: It’s a medieval noun meaning “trouble” and an adjective meaning “bold” and “audacious,” among other things. It’s also a fake number created by Carly in the Nickelodeon TV series iCarly.)

10. Warplane

Warplanes don't fly in the warp lane. / Stocktrek/DigitalVision/Getty Images
It’s a war plane, not a warp lane.

Read More Articles About Mispronounced Terms:

‘Vur-Sah-Chay’: 20 of the Most Commonly Mispronounced Brand Names

The 20 Most Mispronounced Tech Terms May Surprise You

11 Common Words You're Probably Mispronouncing

77 Common Mispronunciations

20 Foods You Might Be Mispronouncing
*This article was updated to clarify that sidereal is pronounced “sigh-DEER-ee-ull,” with a long I, not “sid-EER-ee-ull” with a short one.

Related Tags
CULTURE
WORDS
LINGUISTICS
LANGUAGE
BOOKS
Pop Culture

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 1:24 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
There was a thread about this once, but I found out in middle age I belonged to the group of people who always thought the word misled was pronounced as "mysoold" and not "missledd".

I still read it like that, eventhough I know it's wrong.

I read it my-zuld.

That's what happens when you're a young bookworm. It sticks with you for life.

Fast Forward

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 1:31 pm
giftedmom wrote:
I recently found out on imamother that non-Jews have a leap year

Lol. This reminds that when I was a kid, I thought only frum people changed the clock twice a year.

Supermom#1

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 1:43 pm
Scarlet, thanks for that pronunciation lesson...I really learned a thing or two!

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 1:47 pm
As a young reader, I was sure that "chaos" was a Yiddish word, the ch had a "ח" sound.

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 1:54 pm
Thank you, I enjoyed reading it! Our home economics teacher once discussed Palmolive dish soap and she kept pronouncing it palm-alive.

Hello2u2

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:02 pm
Tongue Out

Last edited by Hello2u2 on Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:10 pm
Iymnok wrote:
As a young reader, I was sure that "chaos" was a Yiddish word, the ch had a "ח" sound.

When we were in first grade we practised our reading with readers about John, Betty and their friend Ian. Each and every single one of us read Ian as Lan. Even our teacher read it as Lan. I still remember the day the penny suddenly dropped for her and she realised the error that she had never picked up on.

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:11 pm

Last edited by amother on Tue, Mar 05 2024, 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:15 pm
Anyone pronounce iron as "eye-ron"? I once had a mature older English speaker stop me at a store, asking me an opinion about a dress's fabric for her granddaughter, if it would need to be "eye-ronned."

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:17 pm
Hello2u2 wrote:
I didnt realize until recently, that its not 'all' childrens teeth that fall out before they get their grown up teeth- only the small ones fall out and are replaced.
I guess I didnt remember my personal experience but I felt weird to find this out

What do you mean? They all do fall out. If they don't it is usually bec something is wrong and the teeth need to be pulled.

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:20 pm
Peersupport wrote:
At the age of 28 I realized that parchment paper has a right way and wrong way of being placed in a cookie sheet pan, so I don't need to fight with the edges to curl downwards.

I’m 51 and I have no idea what you’re talking about!!! Right way and wrong way???

elusivity

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:22 pm
For a really long time I thought the hair products brand Careline was just a different spelling of Caroline...

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:24 pm
Who knows what the little arrow pointing either right or left on the dashboard is for?

( I know now, but didn't until quite recently.)

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:26 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
Who knows what the little arrow pointing either right or left on the dashboard is for?

Do you mean the turning arrows?
If that's what you mean, are you a driver? I dont know how it's possible to be a driver and not know what those are. Unless you're referring to something else.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:27 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Do you mean the turning arrows?

Nope

Hint: the arrow near the petrol guage

singleagain

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:29 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:

Indicator for which side your gas tank is on

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:30 pm
singleagain wrote:
Indicator for which side your gas tank is on

Bingo!
Did you always know that?

And if any of you are interested in some more little known functions of every day items here you go....

https://www.boredpanda.com/eve.....pose/

singleagain

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:38 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
Bingo!

And if any of you are interested in some more little known functions of every day items here you go....

I don't think I always knew that. I think I saw it online.

I love lists like this.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:42 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
Bingo!

I was taught that when I learned how to fill gas.
Page 2 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics