Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Do interior designers really charge 100k?!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:05 pm
Am I living under a rock?!
I'm looking to hire a designer and I'm shocked by what they're charging! Is this the new norm?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:07 pm
It used to be only for the rich. Now it’s more popular so you can hire a beginner and pay by the hour for much less. But yes I still remember when regular people couldn’t use interior designers. It’s a luxury.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:08 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
It used to be only for the rich. Now it’s more popular so you can hire a beginner and pay by the hour for much less. But yes I still remember when regular people couldn’t use interior designers. It’s a luxury.

By the hour doent amount to more? It's endless. Time goes by so fast.

wanttobehappy

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:12 pm
I used Chavy melon she is a beginner was really cheap and very helpful. By now she finished school so she might be a drop more… I love my Hosue and she was sosos helpful. (347) 978-1746

Success10

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:19 pm
$100,000 a gig? So how much do they make a year? That makes no sense!

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:28 pm
A designer could theoretically earn $100,000 or even more from a design project but most designers - even high end designers - don't quote a flat rate.

Many designers charge a percentage based on what they purchase for you or design for you. My designer charged 15% of 20% based on what the item was. She designed a lot of stuff for me and had them done by her sources and so those would be 20%. If she just purchase stuff it would be 15%.

And although it wasn't cheap, for the most part the price for each item was less than if I had purchased myself retail. She was very transparent about pricing and invoices as I would see the invoices from the manufacturers or the artisans.

With this model most designers are only going to take on relatively large projects because otherwise they simply can't make enough money to justify the amount of time they would spend.

Some designers can be hired by paying them by the hour and you can hire them for specific tasks. Anything from helping you select paint; providing room plans; accompanying you while you are shopping.

But as posted, time starts adding up although I doubt whether it would be $100,000

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:32 pm
wanttobehappy wrote:
I used Chavy melon she is a beginner was really cheap and very helpful. By now she finished school so she might be a drop more… I love my Hosue and she was sosos helpful. (347) 978-1746

Does she work in Brooklyn? Or shop online? What’s her rate?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:53 pm
wanttobehappy wrote:

Is she on insta?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 5:10 pm
My interior designer was amazing. He charges $45 a hour and can ballpark the total price based on the space. It depends who you know and where your project is. I found him through a real estate broker that I've worked with (its his husband and he has fabulous taste!). I watched him do staging and renos for clients of mine and then decided to use him when I bought my dream home. Amazing to work with and I definitely didn't go over my budget. Nowhere near 100k!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 5:14 pm
I had a designer help me build a house from scratch. She helped with layout, tiles, paint, furniture, carpet, closets, plumbing, lighting, etc…everything! I paid 150 per hour was at most 5 grand total. Very worth it!

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 5:23 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
I had a designer help me build a house from scratch. She helped with layout, tiles, paint, furniture, carpet, closets, plumbing, lighting, etc…everything! I paid 150 per hour was at most 5 grand total. Very worth it!

At that rate you would need to hit 666 hours.

The 100k only makes sense if they are doing more then just design
Are they also the architect? Project managing?

If they are an architect + interior design it could make sense for a very large house

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 5:30 pm
I’m paying about $200 an hour . It will total about $50k

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 5:40 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
My interior designer was amazing. He charges $45 a hour and can ballpark the total price based on the space. It depends who you know and where your project is. I found him through a real estate broker that I've worked with (it’s his husband and he has fabulous taste!). I watched him do staging and renos for clients of mine and then decided to use him when I bought my dream home. Amazing to work with and I definitely didn't go over my budget. Nowhere near 100k!

Sounds great. Where’s he located? Do you have contact info or an Instagram account for him?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 5:48 pm
Does 75k make sense for a 4000 sf home?

Does not include layout or architecture. Strictly design which includes renderings...shopping etc

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 5:50 pm
I got quotes from not professional trained designers $250 an hour and they officially weren’t available. Although I wasted $500 for consult. I didn’t want the headache of dealing with a designer and didn’t use one. I googled a lot lol. I think my house came out nice it’s a matter of taste anyways.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 5:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does 75k make sense for a 4000 sf home?

Does not include layout or architecture. Strictly design which includes renderings...shopping etc

Sounds right

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 5:58 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
Sounds right

Assuming it includes elevations for all the rooms and full spec book

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 6:05 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
Assuming it includes elevations for all the rooms and full spec book

How are these different from renderings?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:15 pm
Bump

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:55 pm
Some furniture stores have free design services. We worked with a designer from Ethan Allen on an odd-shaped living room. She came to the house and drew up a plan using EA furniture. The service was free. She was a real pro. The design was amazing. We were not required to purchase anything from EA, but we ended up using her design and we are so happy with the way the room turned out.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries