Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Would you leave back

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 7:59 pm
A ds who’s already in first grade? He is one of the youngest in his class. He is doing ok but struggling a little and I wonder if he was the oldest he would do better. Is it too late, would you only leave back in pre 1a?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:03 pm
It really depends. I don't think it's too late to hold back. Boys its deff better for them to be older (as opposed to struggling youngest) Whats he struggling with? Can you hire him a tutor?

amother
Freesia

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:15 pm
What is he struggling with?
My DD was one of the youngest and we sent her back and it did not help this is a problem she will have by being the youngest or the oldest.

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:37 pm
I have my third boy in 1st grade now. I had him and my 3rd grader who are real deadline babies do nursery as the oldest vs the youngest. Repeating pre1a is b’deved in my personal opinion. Not the best or worst. My boys by 1st had way too much social awareness to repeat. I would avoid it like the plague.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:43 pm
Leaving back my child was the best thing I ever did for them. The extra time made a huge difference developmentally. I'm an even bigger believer in it for boys as it means learning mishnayos and gemara one year later and getting up for minyan bus one year later. The extra time for development is a huge gift to them
That being said, have the weaknesses properly assessed to see if additional intervention aside for time are needed as time doesn't cure all. But can provide the opportunity to build a stronger foundation before moving on.
Personally, first grade is still young enough to do it without much long lasting effects and kids are generally nice and accepting

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:51 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
Leaving back my child was the best thing I ever did for them. The extra time made a huge difference developmentally. I'm an even bigger believer in it for boys as it means learning mishnayos and gemara one year later and getting up for minyan bus one year later. The extra time for development is a huge gift to them
That being said, have the weaknesses properly assessed to see if additional intervention aside for time are needed as time doesn't cure all. But can provide the opportunity to build a stronger foundation before moving on.
Personally, first grade is still young enough to do it without much long lasting effects and kids are generally nice and accepting

I agree with you 100% but my boys in 1st already had made nice friends and I think would have found it embarrassing to be with the pre1aers while their friends went to second grade.

amother
Canary

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
A ds who’s already in first grade? He is one of the youngest in his class. He is doing ok but struggling a little and I wonder if he was the oldest he would do better. Is it too late, would you only leave back in pre 1a?

Sometimes it's the best thing. I have a son who has been held back twice already over the years. But he's behind academically and socially.
If your son is not immature for his age and socializes well with the boys in his class, personally I'd rather get him extra help in whatever area he struggles and let him move on with his classmates.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:09 pm
Legally in Baltimore you have to be 13 to babysit your siblings. My son is 12 and I completely would trust him with his younger siblings for less than an hour but I get paranoid about the law.

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:18 pm
I would not leave back a 1st grader unless you're switching his school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children