Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries
Why the extreme hate for Meghan Markle
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 4:58 am
I’m an American living not in America.

And I am totally intrigued by the vitriol and hate like real venom directed at Meghan Markle.

Like I get not liking her, or thinking shes bad for harry, or bad for the firm, but like there’s a level of venom (even on this site) which is hard for me to wrap my head around.

Like this woman is a total stranger to you.
(As is the rest of the royal family) and I don’t see this kind of anger and venom and name calling at Prince Andrew who has objectively done some reallly shady things.

I really DO understand not liking her.

BUT, As someone who has spent the last decade plus working in PR, marketing and social media management,
You have NO idea what her the rest of the royals are like behind closed doors.

If you are in this website you have no idea if Kate and Will have a good marriage.
To be frank, you have no idea if your sister even has a good marriage and hopefully that’s someone you personally interact with.

These people are marketed to the HILT. Everything in their lives is wildly calculated.
Which makes the current situation even more bizarre. Very poorly handled by so many handlers.

But am I the only baffled by the hate? Can someone explain it to me.

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 5:08 am
For me being part of the commonwealth, I think it's because in the beginning she was loved but after throwing the royals,under the bus with all the lies and the oprah interview, the book, etc , noone likes that.

Peris Morgan said it better than me that she was welcomed and loved by the public until she and Harry started trashing the Royal family.

Last edited by rainbow dash on Mon, Mar 18 2024, 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Comptroller

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 5:11 am
Me too.

I don't understand this whole "Royal watching" business.

I don't understand why everyone hates Harry and Meghan.
I don't understand why it is scandal when Kate abstains from official duties for a time when she is ill, or when she sends a photoshopped photo.

There are grown-up persons sitting around a table on TV and they claim in all seriousness that Kate is not allowed to keep her medical records secret??? Where have privacy laws gone?

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 5:20 am
Because she is a narcissist and playing her life out in public. She is literally manipulating Harry and it's hard to watch. He also has many of his own problems, not blaming it all on Meghan but he was better off without her.

Same reason really why we couldn't stand Amber Heard. These kind of people are hard to like.

Eventually, we might hear from her children how horrible life is with this woman as their mother.

She embodies the vicimhood, woke mentality that has infected society and we hate that. She and her squadies are exactly that.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 6:32 am
Personally, it’s what people have said above. She feels like someone with very shallow and narcissistic values who pretends to be interested in lofty things but does nothing useful for anyone else. So much talk about saving the world from her California mansion!

Harry strikes me as being a bit dim and easily led astray. I think what he’s done to his family is appalling and naive. I suppose I don’t loathe his as much as her because I think he’s paid a high price for what he’s done. I wouldn’t be surprised if she leaves him in future once she thinks she’s got what she could out of the arrangement.

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 6:54 am
For me it's the fact that she entered an institution that has been around for a lot longer then she has and showed it zero respect. Whether you think they still have revelance or not, show some respect! She expected them to change and accommodate her instead.
And yeah, the interviews and books and shows don't help. The only fame she knows is Hollywood. The royal family is not that.

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:26 am
amother Moccasin wrote:
For me it's the fact that she entered an institution that has been around for a lot longer then she has and showed it zero respect.

Having been around for a long time doesn't make an institution worthy of respect. It just means the opposition is overdue.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:30 am
The narcissism is overwhelming. Showing up to princess Eugene’s wedding barely 12 weeks pregnant in a massive maternity outfit to make the wedding and subsequent headlines all about her, to naming her daughter the Queen’s private nickname, the Oprah show, the crazy trashing of the royal family while simultaneously capitalizing on being part of the royal family to monetize their brand etc etc

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:31 am
After reading the book Harry wrote, I don't have much of an opinion of her, but any liking I had for him went completely away. He's not a nice or relatable, he's whiny, petulant, and entitled. If he married a social climber or spoiled woman, well that's on him.

That said, I agree with you op. Every single member of the royal family has pr wheels working hard. I doubt any of them are much like their media portrayal. And nobody can say with certainty who has a good or bad marriage or who is a decent parent.
Ironically for a squicky as Andrew is, he clearly has been kind and takes good care of his ex wife. He might be nicer to her than any of them.have been to their spouses.

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:32 am
amother Begonia wrote:
Having been around for a long time doesn't make an institution worthy of respect. It just means the opposition is overdue.

I'm going to assume you're American.

There is plenty of opposition to them but seriously, a public family member?

mattel25

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:05 am
amother Begonia wrote:

Fortunately you don't get to decide that. Someone could say the same about, say, religion or the family unit in general. Just because they have been around for a long time doesn't mean they are worthy of respect. Should we overhaul religion? I mean, if that's the logic you're going to use.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:32 am
I don't understand it either.
I feel like she was under the brutal microscope from the beginning because she was an American, not British, and she was criticized for every single thing she did.

She didn't curtsy the right way.

She didn't show up minutes after birth wearing a beautiful dress with hair and makeup done.

Just one ridiculous thing after another.

Honestly I wouldn't last very long there either.
I'm glad she left to live a more normal life.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:35 am
I don’t have vitriol towards her like many English do. But she reminds me of a family member with narcissism and it’s difficult not to be saddened for her husband.
Also it is very possible that the royal family wasn’t treating her fairly, but I’m a big believer in taking the classy high road. Trashing your husband’s family isn’t. Families can be messy, even abusive. But at the end of the day they birthed and raised your husband. Show some respect, even if from a safe distance. This goes for every single person, not only royal.

That being said, I believe the strong animosity is being pushed from behind the scenes.

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:35 am
mattel25 wrote:
Fortunately you don't get to decide that. Someone could say the same about, say, religion or the family unit in general. Just because they have been around for a long time doesn't mean they are worthy of respect. Should we overhaul religion? I mean, if that's the logic you're going to use.

Being around for a long time is not the reason those things are worthy of respect. If there were no religions or family units, and someone did what Avraham Avinu did, and then someone went and invented the concept of a family unit, they'd be doing a good thing. And there's only one religion worthy of respect anyway. Hinduism has been around for a very long time and it's just thousands of years of nonsense.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:37 am
And btw, the public loves a family scandal and will eat it up. But just because they cheer you on for the time being, doesn’t mean they will continue respecting you as time goes on.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:39 am
I think it’s mainly because of how much she complains.

People hate to see a woman who looks like she has it all-money, looks, a husband who loves her-complaining.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:46 am
I think of harry as somone who went off the derech. How the parents don't approve him but love him unconditional. For the sibling they resent that negative attention. The royal life was boring and stifling. He's a more open person with a relaxed attitude (lots of add people are like that) he needed a more chilled life. His goals were things he didn't have b e richer a d freer then before. I think he probably matured from all these experiences. He ran to visit his father when sick. It would be too hard to go back to his old life

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:57 am
She was accepted into the royal family, they gave her the wedding ceremony she wanted. She turned around and bashed them in public, pulled Harry away from his remaining family (it always seemed to me like he was very close with William and Kate), cried racism, had Harry burn all his bridges. Just seemed very selfish and nasty. That Oprah show was such a despicable thing to do. And that book - so low class.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 10:06 am
amother Gladiolus wrote:
I think of harry as somone who went off the derech. How the parents don't approve him but love him unconditional. For the sibling they resent that negative attention. The royal life was boring and stifling. He's a more open person with a relaxed attitude (lots of add people are like that) he needed a more chilled life. His goals were things he didn't have b e richer a d freer then before. I think he probably matured from all these experiences. He ran to visit his father when sick. It would be too hard to go back to his old life

Did you read his book? He does not come across well. I think he had great PR for many years which is why people had such a rosy view of him. Sure, after Meghan encouraged him to strike out on his own and stop taking their advice, he started to look bad. But that was because his PR people could no longer cover up his true self. She didn't make him turn nasty, that was his true self all along.

wiki

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 10:33 am
The way I see it, Harry always had issues. He probably had ADHD since birth. He had the burden of being the spare kid. He had his parents' early divorce and people whispering all of his life that he was conceived out of wedlock. All of that is already enough to need a boatload of therapy to get to adulthood with decent mental health. And then his mother died when he was a tween, and he was stuck being raised by his father, whom he resented for ruining the marriage. He had a lot of pent up resentment against the Royal Family since long before Meghan.

My read is that Meghan probably demonstrated little respect for the Royal Family from day one of their courtship, and her willingness to ditch the whole thing if it wasn't sparking joy was probably part of why Harry was taken with her from the get-go. So I don't blame her for his retreat to private life. She probably gave him a path to exactly what he always wanted to do anyway.

However, Meghan also comes from a broken family, and she has skills that are worse than Harry's for negotiating difficult family relationships. I do blame her for the way that their retreat from royal duties has led to estrangement from the family, and I think that's a shameful thing. Harry should have found a way to stake out his own life without burning all of his old relationships. For this I totally blame Meghan.

The one thing for which I give that couple credit is that Harry is trying not to repeat the biggest mistakes of his parents and the ones for which he still harbors the greatest resentments. This is why he's sticking with his wife and his kids over the rest of his family, even when I'm sure there are days when he fully realizes that Meghan has led him astray and he'd be well served to leave. I think he's in a messed up relationship and his relationship with his family is in an awfully awful place, but I respect that he's trying to keep it together for his kids. They're better off with him than without him.

Bottom line is that I think Harry got the woman he deserved and wanted. They're both troubled people and I don't like them at all. Their cries for attention are ugly.

That said, I think a lot of the vitriol is way over the top. People on this site blame them for not posting more pictures of their children, or even suggest that the children are fake, while in the same breath complaining about how attention-seeking they are. Yes, they *are* attention-seeking, but it's okay for bad people to occasionally exercise good judgment and shield their children from unwarranted exposure. Attacking them for keeping their kids' lives private is inappropriate. Also, someone upthread attacked Meghan for wearing a loose outfit at the end of first trimester, and I think attacking her for trying to wear something normal at the awkward stage of pregnancy is simply cruel. No, it's not "seeking attention" to wear a loose-fitting style when at the end of first trimester. Someone else blamed Meghan for Kate having a possible eating disorder, which is unfounded and makes no sense. Others are quick to assume that their kids are terribly messed up (more than Will and Kate's), when the fact is that we have no view inside these people's homes and how stable their nuclear family units are.

People rush far too quickly to interpret every single thing Harry and Meghan do as evil, and to attribute them as the source of blame for all things that go wrong with all their relatives.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries