Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/O tipping How did we get this way?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 8:32 pm
Here’s my post from another thread:

I wish people would stop tipping. Was this always a thing? My parents didn’t tip my teachers, were they just out of it? I remember a super wealthy girl in my class would bring a gift card for teachers around Chanukah.

Signed,

An OT who wishes my clients’ parents wouldn’t feel so pressured to tip me. I appreciate is SO much but I don’t like how it’s become a pressure.

I am curious if this tipping craze is specific to the current generation of parents. Are we just ok with splashing around our money more than our parents were? What changed?

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 8:36 pm
Tipping has become more prevalent recently in the world in general-it’s not a frum thing. Self serve eateries ask for tips on their electronic pads when you check out. Some restaurants in LA charge an extra fee for the servers and they still ask for a tip on top of that! It’s nuts.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 8:37 pm
What generation are you?
I am a millennial and my parents tipped the teachers.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 8:41 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
What generation are you?
I am a millennial and my parents tipped the teachers.

Good point, I was born in the 90s.

In general, a lot of luxury concepts have made their way into frum middle class lifestyles. Credit card points make it easier to take nice vacations, replica designer items are easily available, low interest rates a few years ago made it easier to buy nicer homes. I may be wrong but I feel like in the 90s/early 2000s, people lived within their social classes. For example, today it is commonplace to buy a designer stroller no matter your income, in those days it was less common. I think tipping has become the same. Again, it could be I am wrong. My parents were comfortable but also older than my peers’ parents and didn’t do things out of social pressure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette