Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Seminar

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 2:32 pm
My daughter is IYH going and panicking!!! She is only going with one girl that she knows, and she's very introverted. She has a lot to offer but she's often shy in the beginning and I'm nervous for her that no one will see past her exterior and that she won't make friends. She also heard the social scene there is hard and that there is a lot of big personality girls. Any advice? She also is borderline OCD and nervous about the state of the dorms. Anyone have true info to share (this is all based off of rumors) or tips?
Thank you!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 2:37 pm
My daughter is going too!
Semimar is a HUGE seminary compared to others (I think they will have 180 girls this year)
Given her personality, why would she choose to go to a place where she will struggle to be noticed?
Wouldn't a smaller seminary work better?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:07 pm
My daughter is a senior and has 3 friends who are going. They are all such lovely, nice girls. No big personalities. They may be resourceful and creative (which they are) but they are very out of towny. (I live OOT).

Wow, I didn't realize they are taking 180 girls!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:28 pm
[quote="amother Periwinkle"]My daughter is going too!
Semimar is a HUGE seminary compared to others (I think they will have 180 girls this year)
Given her personality, why would she choose to go to a place where she will struggle to be noticed?
Wouldn't a smaller seminary work better?[/quote

Unfortunately we weren't given a choice Confused She is a great girl but didn't get into her top 2 choices.
Its a hard numbers game
do any of you also know any info on the dorms, rules...??

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:38 pm
Dorms and actual classes are in 2 seperate buildings.
I believe there is a 10:30 PM curfew.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:38 pm
My daughter is going too. She is a very sweet girl. Honestly I didn’t go to seminary in EY because I couldn’t deal with being socially on 24/7 for a year. I had a lovely year in Brooklyn and never regretted it. This daughter loves everything about socializing so I’m letting her go.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 7:35 am
amother OP wrote:
My daughter is IYH going and panicking!!! She is only going with one girl that she knows, and she's very introverted. She has a lot to offer but she's often shy in the beginning and I'm nervous for her that no one will see past her exterior and that she won't make friends. She also heard the social scene there is hard and that there is a lot of big personality girls. Any advice? She also is borderline OCD and nervous about the state of the dorms. Anyone have true info to share (this is all based off of rumors) or tips?
Thank you!

I went by myself a couple of years ago and it was hard in the beginning but I absolutely thrived! Just tell her to be herself and she’ll find her chevra…there’s a slightly out of town vibe and the girls r really nice and helpful…

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:30 am
I just posted, then I thought this was an old thread so I deleted it. Now I see it's current, so I'll quickly re-write -

We live in in Jerusalem and host Seminar girls often for shabbos.
I find them all to be pleasant, polite, friendly, helpful and sincere.
Not all of them are loud and confident.
Granted, when they come to us they are in a new home, so they might be a little quieter than they would be when they are just among themselves, but they don't all seem 'big personalities'.
We've met in-town and oot girls.
One group actually told us that Seminar is known to be a friendly and cohesive group - ok, I know it's them saying it about themselves, but anyway, that's what they seemed to think.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info