Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Looking for yummy carb free chicken on bone recipes!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:53 am
Looking for carb free chicken on bone recipes!

Please share your favorites!

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:55 am
I don’t count carbs but I don’t think I’ve ever made chicken with carbs. Simplest is onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika

hodeez

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:57 am
Chicken with any spices you like, no need for carbs

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:58 am
Roasting chicken surrounded by a layer of coarse salt and nothing else is my absolute favourite way to prepare chicken. I serve it with steamed vegetables like broccoli and zucchini and a fresh salad. Delicious!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:09 am
Looking for more than just plain spices.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Looking for more than just plain spices.

When I first heard about salt chicken, I couldn't imagine it would be good. And then I tried it. The skin becomes unbelievably crispy and delectable and the chicken juicy and flavourful. You can add garlic cloves, jalapeno, rosemary or thyme, but I really think it is unneccessary.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:16 am
White wine, olives and thyme.

Tons of sauteed onions.

Salsa poured over

Chumus with drizzled olive oil and zataar

giftedmom

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:18 am
I make chicken all the time just with oil and spices

Ima03

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:19 am
A favorite in my house (even with picky eaters) is broiled chicken.

I put onion powder and garlic powder. Put in the broiler until the skin gets crispy (about 25-30 min), flip the chicken pieces over and broil until the other side looks done(maybe another 20 min).

So much flavor and so little work.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:19 am
amother Gold wrote:
When I first heard about salt chicken, I couldn't imagine it would be good. And then I tried it. The skin becomes unbelievably crispy and delectable and the chicken juicy and flavourful. You can add garlic cloves, jalapeno, rosemary or thyme, but I really think it is unneccessary.

I have always removed the skin, I guess since my mom always did. so I am a drop grossed out by it.
should it try keeping it on??

and for that recipe, just sprinkle coarse salt on top of the chicken pieces?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:20 am
Ima03 wrote:
A favorite in my house (even with picky eaters) is broiled chicken.

I put onion powder and garlic powder. Put in the broiler until the skin gets crispy (about 25-30 min), flip the chicken pieces over and broil until the other side looks done(maybe another 20 min).

So much flavor and so little work.

do you broil it on high or low?

Thanks!

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:26 am
amother OP wrote:
I have always removed the skin, I guess since my mom always did. so I am a drop grossed out by it.

You don't have to eat the skin but it becomes a gorgeous, crispy brown and keeps the moisture in. You can definitely remove it before eating.

You place the chicken in the middle of a pan ( I use a cookie sheet) and sprinkle a layer of coarse salt about a cm think around the chicken, not on it. That is very important!!!!!

I prefer to make this using a whole chicken, breast down, but pieces definitely work. You just need to keep an eye on them because they cook quicker.

ETA- you must use coarse salt, table salt will not work.

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:34 am
amother OP wrote:

I never remove my skin. I remove before eating. Cooking with skin on keeps it much juicier

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:37 am
amother Gold wrote:
You don't have to eat the skin but it becomes a gorgeous, crispy brown and keeps the moisture in. You can definitely remove it before eating.

You place the chicken in the middle of a pan ( I use a cookie sheet) and sprinkle a layer of coarse salt about a cm think around the chicken, not on it. That is very important!!!!!

I prefer to make this using a whole chicken, breast down, but pieces definitely work. You just need to keep an eye on them because they cook quicker.

Hi, what temperatures, for how long? Covered or uncovered? Thanks! Does sea salt work?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:14 am
amother Gold wrote:

Interesting!!
Curious how it works if the salt is around the chicken and not on it??

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:20 am
amother Hunter wrote:
Hi, what temperatures, for how long? Covered or uncovered? Thanks! Does sea salt work?

Uncovered at 180° C for about an hour and a half, less if you are using pieces. It's ready when the skin is golden brown and crispy and juices run clear and your kitchen smells like a rotisserie shop.

I'm in Israel and use what is labelled as מלח גס. The salt needs to be in the form of larger, coarser crystals.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:22 am
amother OP wrote:
Interesting!!
Curious how it works if the salt is around the chicken and not on it??

If that much salt was on the chicken it would be inedible.

I'm not sure of the exact science behind it but something about the coarse salt around the chicken enhances the cooking process. You can use this process to roast whole, unpeeled vegetables like potatoes, beetroot and kohlrabi ( all very carby, I know) and they are absolutely delicious.

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:23 am
amother Gold wrote:
Uncovered at 180° C for about an hour and a half, less if you are using pieces. It's ready when the skin is golden brown and crispy and juices run clear.

I'm in Israel and use what is labelled as מלח גס. The salt needs to be in the form of larger, coarser crystals.

What do you mean by breast placed down? It’s like a spatchcock chicken right? Thanks!

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:25 am
amother Hunter wrote:
What do you mean by breast placed down? It’s like a spatchcock chicken right? Thanks!

Can be spatchcocked but doesn't have to be. I usually don't use a spatchcock.

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:27 am
amother Gold wrote:
Can be spatchcocked but doesn't have to be. I usually don't use a spatchcock.

Also how do you steam the zucchini? Sounds good
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise