Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O for those of you that don’t eat fleishig during the week
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Pistachio

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 8:27 pm
amother Lightyellow wrote:
Men have higher protein requirements than women

So they can have another egg or 2. It doesn't need do always be meat and chicken!

amother
Peru

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 9:08 pm
Comptroller wrote:
Have you never heard of "vegetables"?

Vegetabes give you the volume to feel satisfied. So you start with a veggie soup or a copious salad, then you have a main dish with a protein (eggs, fish, maybe tofu or pseudo-meat), many veggies and a carb.

So I agree that to many people, legumes do not keep them satisfied for a long time. However, white lean fish is one of the best satisfiers there are. As are potatoes cooked in peel, by the way.

So I really don't get your problem. Except if you consider that veggies don't exist.

Except that where I live, vegetables are expensive... the difference between tuna and meat is basically the price of vegetables. You don't come out ahead.

amother
Clover

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 11:03 pm
I’m always hungry after dinner, no matter what I eat.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 11:12 pm
Comptroller wrote:

Vegetabes give you the volume to feel satisfied. So you start with a veggie soup or a copious salad, then you have a main dish with a protein (eggs, fish, maybe tofu or pseudo-meat), many veggies and a carb.

So I agree that to many people, legumes do not keep them satisfied for a long time. However, white lean fish is one of the best satisfiers there are. As are potatoes cooked in peel, by the way.

So I really don't get your problem. Except if you consider that veggies don't exist.

Yes, but at least here in New Jersey, vegetables are even more expensive. It's cheaper to serve a pan of chicken and rice with a few vegetables on the side, then eggs with toast and a large salad.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 11:14 pm
I totally get this. I grew up rarely eating chicken. Now. I make it every night due to allergies. I am definitely much fuller. Almost never snack at night (except when nursing) and before I always had to. Especially pasta - even with cheese – I'm always hungry 2 hours later or less. And salmon same. On the rear night when I don't make chicken because I'm the only one home or something, I'm always hungry after. Like I enjoy the treat of pasta for dinner but then I'm hungry later.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 11:30 pm
I'm a picky eater and unfortunately by extension, some of my kids are too. I don't like beans, chickpeas, tahini, or most fish. I make fleishigs 3 or so nights a week (not that my kids all eat it) and when I don't, my husband noshes all evening. He's Russian and if it's not meat and potatoes, it's a snack.

amother
Peru

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 12:15 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
Yes, but at least here in New Jersey, vegetables are even more expensive. It's cheaper to serve a pan of chicken and rice with a few vegetables on the side, then eggs with toast and a large salad.

Exactly. I can get stew meat for $7.49 a pound, and ground meat for even cheaper. Chicken cutlets used to be cheaper than meat, but it's now the same price.

For $7 more, I'm making a supper that everyone will eat and enjoy, vegetables/salad would actually be more.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 12:33 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
These are mostly carbs based. I love these foods and we usually have them twice a week, but they’re so much less healthy!

Also, it sounds like you actually have 3 nights meat… just because it’s leftovers, doesn’t change what it is.

to me this is pizza shop type of food... delicious, but we would gain a ton of weight and over eat... with a piece of chicken it's easier to stop when full then with yummy baked ziti...
For all those eating beans and chick peas, what is your background? Where can I find these type of recipes I tried adding chichpeas to a couscous dish and my fam did not appreciate it in the slightest. Beans is only in the cholent...
It's also too hard to digest

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 3:41 am
Comptroller wrote:

Veggies are expensive unless you have a huge garden. And even if you do, they're expensive in winter.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 3:52 am
amother Ballota wrote:
Veggies are expensive unless you have a huge garden. And even if you do, they're expensive in winter.

Root vegetables are pretty cheap. If you only mean things like lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, etc. then yes.

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:02 am
amother Burgundy wrote:

Can you share the prices that you are paying?

I'm thinking of a simple Greek salad with some garbanzos thrown in. Random recipe from Google:
https://www.foodiecrush.com/gr.....alad/

Quote:
Greek Chickpea Salad

Servings 6

Ingredients

1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans , rinsed and drained
1 English cucumber , halved and sliced into coins
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
¾ cup pitted kalamata olives , drained and halved
¼ cup slivered red onion
6 ounces feta cheese , crumbled
¼ cup chopped fresh dill
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon sugar , optional

How much do simple cucumbers, tomatoes, a can of garbanzo beans, olives, a red onion, and feta cheese cost? I assume you have olive oil and vinegar etc on hand and the cost per meal is negligible.

This could be a meal by itself, or you could add crusty bread or soup to round it out.

Does this cost less than chicken and rice where you live?

Or how about a hearty soup as a main dish, like minestrone?
https://www.loveandlemons.com/.....soup/

Traveller247

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:14 am
DrMom wrote:
How much do simple cucumbers, tomatoes, a can of garbanzo beans, olives, a red onion, and feta cheese cost? I assume you have olive oil and vinegar etc on hand and the cost per meal is negligible.

This could be a meal by itself, or you could add crusty bread or soup to round it out.

Does this cost less than chicken and rice where you live?

Or how about a hearty soup as a main dish, like minestrone?
https://www.loveandlemons.com/.....soup/

I'm all for making cheap and healthy meals but to me this is lunch, not dinner. It's just not substantial enough for me or my family.

Comptroller

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:24 am
amother Peru wrote:
Except that where I live, vegetables are expensive... the difference between tuna and meat is basically the price of vegetables. You don't come out ahead.
& all the others who said that veggies are expensive:

That's depressing.

It's depressing to hear you say that for financial reasons you don't serve vegetables and you limit yourself and your family to protein and high density carbs.

The new dietary recommendations say: half a plate of veggies, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carbs. And if yo tell me that people don't do it not because they lack fantasy or awareness, but because they cannot afford it, I am pretty sad.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:34 am
Vegetables are cheap in Israel. I don't even pay attention to prices. I was shocked whrn I mindlessly bought red bell peppers in the US and they were super expensive (can't remember how much, but it was a LOT!)

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:35 am
I'll put it like this: what I pay in shekels is less than what you pay in dollars 😶

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:35 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
to me this is pizza shop type of food... delicious, but we would gain a ton of weight and over eat... with a piece of chicken it's easier to stop when full then with yummy baked ziti...
For all those eating beans and chick peas, what is your background? Where can I find these type of recipes I tried adding chichpeas to a couscous dish and my fam did not appreciate it in the slightest. Beans is only in the cholent...

Beans usually need to be soaked before use and then need a good boil up separately (pour off the water and rinse) before use.
Makes a huge huge difference in digestion.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:40 am
amother Bone wrote:
Vegetables are cheap in Israel. I don't even pay attention to prices. I was shocked whrn I mindlessly bought red bell peppers in the US and they were super expensive (can't remember how much, but it was a LOT!)

Depends where you shop. Usually cheaper at the green grocery compared to the supermarket.
Also which city. Fancy Raanana or not so fancy Bnei Brak?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:43 am
amother Burntblack wrote:
Root vegetables are pretty cheap. If you only mean things like lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, etc. then yes.

Buying produce *in season* is essential if you want to lower food cost.

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:48 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:

What do you mean by "background?"

Socioeconomic background? Ethnic background?

What

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:49 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Buying produce *in season* is essential if you want to lower food cost.

Sadly, in America I don't see much of a difference for most fruits and vegetables. (Exceptions being berries and stone fruit, occasionally I'll find apples cheaper in season)
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics