Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Sourdough starter

queen76

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 11:11 pm
My husband wanted me to throw out my sourdough starter before pesach.
Need to make my own starter now. Any one did it and can tell me how?

ttbtbm

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 11:17 pm
Equal parts flour and water. I stick with 40 grams of each just for consistency. Twice a day pour out most of what’s in jar leaving about two tablespoons. Mix in the new flour and water. Let it sit on your counter with a paper towel on top. After about 14 days you should have an active starter. Some say to do an 80/20 blend of white flour/whole wheat. Something about the whole wheat helping the starter to become active. Others don’t bother.

anonmommy4

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 12:49 am
ttbtbm wrote:
Equal parts flour and water. I stick with 40 grams of each just for consistency. Twice a day pour out most of what’s in jar leaving about two tablespoons. Mix in the new flour and water. Let it sit on your counter with a paper towel on top. After about 14 days you should have an active starter. Some say to do an 80/20 blend of white flour/whole wheat. Something about the whole wheat helping the starter to become active. Others don’t bother.

How much new flour and water? I’ve heard of people using rye flour??

ttbtbm

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 1:38 am
I use 40 grams of flour and 40 grams of water twice a day. Pour out most of what’s in the container or else you’ll
End up with buckets full by the time it’s active.

Comptroller

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 4:50 pm
It's best to use rye flour, whole grain.

Start with small quantities, since you will have to double it a few times. One spoonfull flour with one spoon of water is enough to start.

Double (or remove half and double the rest) all 12-24 hours, depends on temperature.

After 3-4 days, you can bake for the first time (maybe use a bit of yeast for the dough to help along the if you bake at 3 days), but it's good to leave the starter outside and feed it daily during the first 10 to 15 days.

sunshine23

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 5:58 pm
Where r u located? I have

hello 1

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 6:27 pm
sunshine23 wrote:
Where r u located? I have

That is so thoughtful of you! I am not OP but am looking for starter. I am in the five towns.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads