Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
List something useful you learned after 6th grade
1  2  3  Next

devorah1231

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:22 pm
It's occurred to me recently that pretty much everything we learned in school after 6th grade is pretty much useless information. Besides hashkafa/Judaic classes for our neshamos and maybe cpr.

The only things I really learned are things that were not on any test like

Don't use the same fork for raw and fried chicken
You are your child's best advocate (speech class)
You won't get too fat if you are never lazy (gym goodbye speech)
The hottest part of the day is around 2pm

What did you learn in the later grades?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:28 pm
In depth english, serious reading and writing that were not covered in 6th grade. History, jewish, american and world. Chemistry, biology, in depth earth science. Math so many new concepts. Up until 6th grade is basics, basic english and math a drop of science and geography. The real learning is 7th-12th grade. I see that now with 7th grader she is learning so much more than she did until now. Covering new topics.

Aurora

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:29 pm
And I would say that my real education started in college, which is when classes start to get really in depth for all those subjects. No comparison.

OP, I think your middle and high school cheated you if you think that sixth grade is the best education can get.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:29 pm
Algebra, trigonometry, statistics, calculus, differential equations, biology, chemistry, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, physics, numerous excellent pieces of literature, world history, how to speak and write in Spanish, how to write a persuasive essay, programming, how to start a fire, cooking, how to do my own laundry, etc etc etc.

Last edited by DrMom on Thu, May 02 2024, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

devorah1231

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:32 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
In depth english, serious reading and writing that were not covered in 6th grade. History, jewish, american and world. Chemistry, biology, in depth earth science. Math so many new concepts. Up until 6th grade is basics, basic english and math a drop of science and geography. The real learning is 7th-12th grade. I see that now with 7th grader she is learning so much more than she did until now. Covering new topics.

It's real learning and good for brain development, I'm not arguing that. I do think it would be good if schools would offer more electives so students could develop their brains in ways that are better for them professionally and long term.
In real life practically there very few pieces of information that you learn in those grades that you will ever use again.
And yes I'm a professional full time employee and use my brain at work every day, and appreciate my schooling.

I started this thread to learn what people remember that they really learned.

amf

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:34 pm
Time management
Personal organization

scruffy

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:34 pm
Reading and writing, building communication and critical thinking skills.

Algebra which I actually do use in real life, and higher math in general which builds logic and abstract thinking skills.

Science including biology and chemistry.

Reading mefarshim so I can study on my own, as well as open up a halacha sefer if I need to.

Lots of halacha in general.

devorah1231

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:36 pm
Aurora wrote:
And I would say that my real education started in college, which is when classes start to get really in depth for all those subjects. No comparison.

OP, I think your middle and high school cheated you if you think that sixth grade is the best education can get.

College was definitely more practical, though there too I was told a lot of information I will never use. I was saying that until 6th grade we learn practical things after that we just build our brains until we can figure out what we're really doing.

Average human beings never need information they learned in biology or American history or trigonometry beyond what they can easily learn themselves as an adult. Yes for some people there are building blocks for their careers which is obviously why we need to do it but most of that knowledge is not practical for most people.

For example we learned reproduction in bio but it didn't help me become pregnant and after I became pregnant I read everything on my own to learn what was going on anyway.

devorah1231

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:37 pm
Also a note...NOT referring to Hebrew classes of any sort, which in one way or another were mostly practical.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:42 pm
devorah1231 wrote:
College was definitely more practical, though there too I was told a lot of information I will never use. I was saying that until 6th grade we learn practical things after that we just build our brains until we can figure out what we're really doing.

Average human beings never need information they learned in biology or American history or trigonometry beyond what they can easily learn themselves as an adult. Yes for some people there are building blocks for their careers which is obviously why we need to do it but most of that knowledge is not practical for most people.

For example we learned reproduction in bio but it didn't help me become pregnant and after I became pregnant I read everything on my own to learn what was going on anyway.

Every academic topic can be learned on one's own.

That doesn't mean it isn't worth it to learn it in school.

I don't understand your argument.

devorah1231

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:45 pm
DrMom wrote:
Every academic topic can be learned on one's own.

That doesn't mean it isn't worth it to learn it in school.

I don't understand your argument.

I'm not arguing against school learning.
I'm asking people what useful thing they can tell us about that they remember.

Not everything is an argument.

Last edited by devorah1231 on Thu, May 02 2024, 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:46 pm
devorah1231 wrote:
It's real learning and good for brain development, I'm not arguing that. I do think it would be good if schools would offer more electives so students could develop their brains in ways that are better for them professionally and long term.
In real life practically there very few pieces of information that you learn in those grades that you will ever use again.
And yes I'm a professional full time employee and use my brain at work every day, and appreciate my schooling.

I started this thread to learn what people remember that they really learned.

I use all that knowledge daily both in my professional and personal life.

devorah1231

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:47 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
I use all that knowledge daily both in my professional and personal life.

That's amazing! Sounds like you have a stimulating life and career!

What profession do you have that you use the specific details of math, science, and history every day?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:22 pm
Knowledge shapes you as a human. Practically you can survive without knowing any history, without knowing math and without any knowledge. But you wouldn’t be the person you are today. It’s not about when you use it. It’s what it makes you into.

devorah1231

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:23 pm
I'll start a new thread since this is not leading to what I was looking for.

amother
Maize

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:27 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
Knowledge shapes you as a human. Practically you can survive without knowing any history, without knowing math and without any knowledge. But you wouldn’t be the person you are today. It’s not about when you use it. It’s what it makes you into.
OP is not arguing that! She's just starting a thread asking what things do you use practically on a day-to-day basis.

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:30 pm
Hebrew classes aside from content taught me how to speak a pretty fluent. Also how to calculate sale prices. And all computer and typing classes use every single day.

Comptroller

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:31 pm
I started learning English in school after grade 6, and I am using it now.

Is it useful? Maybe not! Maybe it's not necessary to be able to speak English.

I think whether what you learned at school is useful for you later in life depends very much on what you go on doing later in life.

If you are going to be an engineer or a physicist, the higher math learned in high school is essential.
If you are going to be housewife, less so.

Last edited by Comptroller on Thu, May 02 2024, 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

devorah1231

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:31 pm
I often wonder on this site if people only come here so they can pick apart people's posts and not actually read what they have to say... I was looking for some fun discussion and practical life lessons not an argument....

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:32 pm
I teach high school English and you have no idea how many words I reach the girls how to pronounce correctly, and the vocabulary I think is really useful.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics