Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Chulent

chassidisheveib

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:05 pm
Does anyone have a recipe for a SMALL chulent?

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:07 pm
What size is the crockpot?

chassidisheveib

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:10 pm
Don’t remember off hand but looking up similar crock pots it seams to be an 8QT.
Even when I do a bit less then half a crock pot it’s still to much.

ittsamother

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:11 pm
Sure!

Half an onion, diced and sautéed
4 tbs each of beans and barley
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Meat
2 small potatoes

That's it! And you can adjust the size of the cholent by increasing the beans and barley in increments of 4, I just add salt and pepper proportionately and it always comes out delicious, whether I use 4 tbs or 20 tbsp of beans and barley

chassidisheveib

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:12 pm
ittsamother wrote:
Sure!

Half an onion, diced and sautéed
4 tbs each of beans and barley
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Meat
2 small potatoes

That's it! And you can adjust the size of the cholent by increasing the beans and barley in increments of 4, I just add salt and pepper proportionately and it always comes out delicious, whether I use 4 tbs or 20 tbsp of beans and barley

Thank you! I’ll try this out this week!

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:13 pm
chassidisheveib wrote:
Don’t remember off hand but looking up similar crock pots it seams to be an 8QT.
Even when I do a bit less then half a crock pot it’s still to much.

A small cholent will dry out in such a large crockpot. Do you need a smaller one? They aren't costly.

ittsamother

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 12:33 am
We made this size cholent in a very small crock pot, maybe 2 qts or something like that? Maybe 4? I don't remember. But just big enough for two couples for when we had guests, and we filled it about halfway when it was just the two of us home.

chassidisheveib

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 7:33 am
ra_mom wrote:
A small cholent will dry out in such a large crockpot. Do you need a smaller one? They aren't costly.

We’re looking at smaller options.

Comptroller

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 7:44 am
chassidisheveib wrote:
Does anyone have a recipe for a SMALL chulent?

I don't really see your problem.
Just take the ingredients you need per person and add water as much as needed and try to use a pot of the appropriate size. I have no problem making chulent in a 1 liter pot, works like a charm.
Often I take the size of the pot as a reference for the ingredients, so that I don't make too much.

Last edited by Comptroller on Thu, May 09 2024, 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total

chassidisheveib

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 7:45 am
Comptroller wrote:
I don't really see your problem.
Just take the ingredients you need per person and add water as much as needed and try to use a pot of the appropriate size. I have no problem making chulent in a 1 l pot, works like a charm.

Still ends up being to much.

Comptroller

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 7:45 am
chassidisheveib wrote:
Still ends up being to much.

So take less beans.
And if you take barely: just take a spoonfull of bareley, because bareley soaks up a lot of water.

You need about 2-3 times the volume in water for beans.

So if you calculate 150 g of cooked beans per person, you put in 50g of dry beans per person plus 100 ml of water.

Bareley, I had to learn to really minimize the amounts, I would calculate in spoons, not in glasses, about 1 spoon per person, or a bit less... (in a chulent where you have beans too).

But if your aim is to cook a chulent for just 1 person or 2 persons without leftovers, I'm afraid this might be hard.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus