Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Was Palin's speech a success?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Was Palin's speech a success?
Yes, now McCain is in his way to the White House.  
 89%  [ 65 ]
No, McCain has now lost all chances of winning.  
 10%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 73

Mevater

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 11:25 pm
I read that Palin's speech will either earn McCain the presidency or destroy his chances.

Do you agree?

BTW- In poll I meant on his way to the White House, not in.

Last edited by Mevater on Wed, Sep 03 2008, 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

HappyFamily

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 11:27 pm
I listened. She spoke really well. Thumbs Up

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 11:29 pm
watched it on wcbs880.com. her family is ADORABLE; did anyone catch Piper slicking down Trig's hair with her saliva? lol!!! and of couerse suddenly Levi Johnston is part of the family, holding Bristol's hand the whole time... they were just all adorable.

pink car

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 11:34 pm
watched it now on 1010Wins.com - Palin spoke well - a lot of charisma and a lot of truth and facts.
Gulliani spoke well too... I hope they win the election

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 11:36 pm
I thought her speech was excellent. I really enjoyed it - esp after all the democratic bs.
Even my DH liked it!

ESB

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 11:41 pm
By me dh is the one who was always into it. By now Im into it too.
Juliani spoke great. I love his sharp tongue. Palin spoke very well too. I hope they win.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 12:45 am
Oh yeah.
She was brilliant, and the family is so cute. Piper is so adorable!! What a cute kid.
And watching the family interactions was interesting.
I actually started to cry, and that isn't usual for me. I'm usually such a skeptic.

su7kids

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 1:08 am
Loved her speech, and when I saw her little girl patting the baby's hair and then put her hands in her mouth to wet them and flatten his hair, I laughed so hard!! She'll be so embarrassed when she gets older and realizes that was caught on TV!!!

Bambamama

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 6:14 am
Piper is adorable!

Here it is for those of you that missed it:

zigi

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 7:35 am
I saw part of it. thanks for posting links! msnbc only had half of her speach,

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 8:35 am
oh yeah I had tears in my eyes too when the family was shown.

bigmomma

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 8:43 am
She was great!! So was Guliani. If they don't win, I hate to think what will happen...

cassandra

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 8:50 am
HindaRochel wrote:

I actually started to cry, and that isn't usual for me. I'm usually such a skeptic.

She made me cry too!

I highly doubt this guarantees the presidency, but she was excellent.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 9:34 am
I don't know whether to answer in this thread. Is this a thread about whether the speech was a success, from a non-partisan, analytical point of view, or is it just about whether the Republicans here thought it went well.

Nothing against OP or her question (although the poll choices don't work, as far as I'm concerned), but a lot of the threads here seem to go partisan even when they're not worded that way. When someone asks who the next president will be, McCain supporters usually say McCain, Obama supporters usually say Obama. Same with the threads about the famous pregnancy. I try, as much as I can, to be non-partisan in my responses to non-partisan questions, like the one about the pregnancy. But they always seem to turn very partisan.

I've mentioned this, but I read and post on a political board where partisan questions (I hate this, or don't you think this is awful) go partisan, and non-partisan questions (how did he or she do, who will win) get answered in a non-partisan way, to keep the level of the discussions up. Plenty of opposite party bashing, but only in threads that are clearly about that. Otherwise, Republicans and Democrats (and Independents) make an effort to answer honestly and analytically, no matter what their affiliation. They might say, I hate so-and-so but he or she did well. Their opinion is stated, but the analysis itself is honest. Hope that makes sense.

So I was going to answer my honest opinion here, but the way the political threads go on Imamother, I hesitate.

Just wanted to share that. Carry on.

octopus

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 9:35 am
guilianni- biden better get vp in writing! heh, heh!

Akeres Habayis

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 12:40 pm
as I said before she was very poised,and articulate(even though she didnt write the speech)the problem,is of course the media has picked her speech apart to determine how on target she is,with what she said.
personally, I find it scary when I read post of her cute they are,and the kids,but no indepth of why her speech was so good.
what did she say they made u decide she was "brillant"?why was it a success,bc her cute little girl did the cutest thing?

personally,I would like to hear,why they should be elected specifically,if u dont like obama,b'seder but dont vote for someone,u dont know their past voting record,what they stand for,in truth,and has proven facts.
I find that irresponsible of a voting american(not saying anyone here is)
picked apart

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and her Republican supporters held back little Wednesday as they issued dismissive attacks on Barack Obama and flattering praise on her credentials to be vice president. In some cases, the reproach and the praise stretched the truth.
ADVERTISEMENT

Some examples:

PALIN: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."

THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere."

PALIN: "There is much to like and admire about our opponent. But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform — not even in the state senate."

THE FACTS: Compared to McCain and his two decades in the Senate, Obama does have a more meager record. But he has worked with Republicans to pass legislation that expanded efforts to intercept illegal shipments of weapons of mass destruction and to help destroy conventional weapons stockpiles. The legislation became law last year. To demean that accomplishment would be to also demean the work of Republican Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana, a respected foreign policy voice in the Senate. In Illinois, he was the leader on two big, contentious measures in Illinois: studying racial profiling by police and requiring recordings of interrogations in potential death penalty cases. He also successfully co-sponsored major ethics reform legislation.

PALIN: "The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes, raise payroll taxes, raise investment income taxes, raise the death tax, raise business taxes, and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars."

THE FACTS: The Tax Policy Center, a think tank run jointly by the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute, concluded that Obama's plan would increase after-tax income for middle-income taxpayers by about 5 percent by 2012, or nearly $2,200 annually. McCain's plan, which cuts taxes across all income levels, would raise after tax-income for middle-income taxpayers by 3 percent, the center concluded.

Obama would provide $80 billion in tax breaks, mainly for poor workers and the elderly, including tripling the Earned Income Tax Credit for minimum-wage workers and higher credits for larger families.

He also would raise income taxes, capital gains and dividend taxes on the wealthiest. He would raise payroll taxes on taxpayers with incomes above $250,000, and he would raise corporate taxes. Small businesses that make more than $250,000 a year would see taxes rise.

MCCAIN: "She's been governor of our largest state, in charge of 20 percent of America's energy supply ... She's responsible for 20 percent of the nation's energy supply. I'm entertained by the comparison and I hope we can keep making that comparison that running a political campaign is somehow comparable to being the executive of the largest state in America," he said in an interview with ABC News' Charles Gibson.

THE FACTS: McCain's phrasing exaggerates both claims. Palin is governor of a state that ranks second nationally in crude oil production, but she's no more "responsible" for that resource than President Bush was when he was governor of Texas, another oil-producing state. In fact, her primary power is the ability to tax oil, which she did in concert with the Alaska Legislature. And where Alaska is the largest state in America, McCain could as easily have called it the 47th largest state — by population.

MCCAIN: "She's the commander of the Alaska National Guard. ... She has been in charge, and she has had national security as one of her primary responsibilities," he said on ABC.

THE FACTS: While governors are in charge of their state guard units, that authority ends whenever those units are called to actual military service. When guard units are deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, for example, they assume those duties under "federal status," which means they report to the Defense Department, not their governors. Alaska's national guard units have a total of about 4,200 personnel, among the smallest of state guard organizations.

FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE: Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

FORMER MASSACHUSETTS GOV. MITT ROMNEY: "We need change, all right — change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington! We have a prescription for every American who wants change in Washington — throw out the big-government liberals, and elect John McCain and Sarah Palin."

THE FACTS: A Back-to-the-Future moment. George W. Bush, a conservative Republican, has been president for nearly eight years. And until last year, Republicans controlled Congress. Only since January 2007 have Democrats have been in charge of the House and Senate.

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 12:41 pm
I thought her speech was excellent and well delivered. I was laughing at the part where she mentioned Obama returning the fake greek statues to the movie studio that he borrowed them from.

gryp

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 12:49 pm
Quote:
FORMER MASSACHUSETTS GOV. MITT ROMNEY: "We need change, all right — change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington! We have a prescription for every American who wants change in Washington — throw out the big-government liberals, and elect John McCain and Sarah Palin."

THE FACTS: A Back-to-the-Future moment. George W. Bush, a conservative Republican, has been president for nearly eight years. And until last year, Republicans controlled Congress. Only since January 2007 have Democrats have been in charge of the House and Senate.

This is the only one I read, Akeres, but I wouldn't call that " the facts." I don't consider Bush to be an all-around conservative, especially when it comes to burning taxpayers' dollars. Nor do I think McCain is conservative enough (but that's where I disagree with Romney himself as opposed to whoever wrote up what you posted.
How hard is it to look conservative next to Kerry and Obama? Not very.

Akeres Habayis

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 1:00 pm
sorry it was from associated press.

Seraph

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 1:08 pm
I am not the type to remember details, but her speech was smart, eloquent, delivered well, well received, and she made lots of points that as I heard them, I was like "Yea... thats definitely right!" so I think she did that to lots of others as well. success, in my opinion.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics