Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Was Palin's speech a success?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Was Palin's speech a success?
Yes, now McCain is in his way to the White House.  
 89%  [ 65 ]
No, McCain has now lost all chances of winning.  
 10%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 73

Clarissa

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 11:54 pm
flowerpower wrote:
So, Clarrisa is your hair long and thin and looks like it needs a good cut? I do home visits you know.
Shoulder length and kind of shapeless and lumpy, straight at some points, wavy in others, not really shiny. Just bleh.

Secbeb

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 2:26 am
Clarissa wrote:
flowerpower wrote:
Her hairstyle is the in style. I was impressed to see that she had such a hairstyle. What do you like better, blonde chopped up short hair?
Those are my choices? Frankly, I think her hair, makeup and glasses are reminiscent of Anita Bryant in the 70's when she was spouting about Jes*s and bashing gays. Very strong resemblance and style.

Quote:
I also think she looks like the actresses you'd see in Summer's Eve commercials in the 60's. Two women walking on a sunny day, talking about how it leaves them feeling so Springtime fresh...

I'd have to say you're dating yourself here Wink
Quote:
Clarissa wrote:
Frankly, I thought she lacked Hillary's intelligence. Which I realize some people may say is a good thing about Palin.

Actually, that's what they are shooting for. They are hoping that white lower-class, working-class, uneducated types will be swayed by her presence on the ticket and vote Republican. Shrewed work there.

First of all, its spelled "shrewd" and secondly, I think this elitist liberal attitude is what turns people off (or me at least). Inferring that the general public is uneducated, or more subtly, stupid. Oh, McCain is pandering to the public and he's trying to get the ignorant right wing masses out there to vote for his ticket by bringing Palin on board. These people are to stupid to learn the issues - they'll blindly vote because a young pretty woman is his VP candidate. Essentially - if you're stupid, you'll vote republican and ipso facto, if you're republican, you're stupid. Only democrats have brains, study the issues, are educated etc. Democrats would never be swept off their feet by superficiality.
Well I have yet to see what this great orator, Obama, can do. The man who loves the future because all his great accomplishments are there. I remember watching the DNC in 2004 when he spoke and how all the democrats swooned over Obama and with stars in their eyes, murmered about him running for president in '08. How young and handsome he was, how eloquent a speaker he was.
He hasn't done anything to prove his worth. And he's the presidential candidate.
All the people who have problems with Palin are concerned about how horrible she's been with her family - what kind of woman puts her family second after her career?
Did I miss something along the way in civics class? The Vice President's job is to do nada, nil. . the VP is the most useless job in the White House. His or her only job is to take over if the president can't do his job any more. She'll have plenty of time with her kids.
So, are all the democrats assuming that John Mccain will kick the bucket in '09? He's at death's door? He looks extremely healthy to me and I care for very sick people. He doesn't look like he's going to keel over tomorrow.
All this fuss over Palin and she's just the VP candidate. I admire her, but she's a figure head, and she'll have very little effect on anything that goes down during the next four years.
And people are putting down her looks, her hair, and how they would never want to hang out with her because she just doesn't seem like someone they'd get along with. Really? Really?!
. . just my opinion, but. . . her kids have redneck names (no offense intended) just very trailer trashy. . .Her hair color is okay, but her hairstyle is horrid - but then so is all of Washington DC's. . . I'd rather hang out with Hillary - so much more interesting so much more intelligent. But maybe people prefer a stupid woman as VP. (All those stupid republicans out there - why can't they just think like me?!)
Wit is wonderful, but snobbiness is unbearable.
Alright - all vented out. Rolling Eyes And fyi, I'm a registered independant. But I can't stand the superficial digs. Its boring, and I'm so over it.

chavamom

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 3:15 am
You're so over it that you have to take me to task for my typos? Not that you are elitist or anything.......

I guess we can't have anyone think I meant that she is a SHREW.

chavamom

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 3:21 am
Oh and just to clarify - I do think that the choice of Palin is clearly aimed at bringing the "small town Walmart hockey moms" on board. If they weren't, there are plenty of other choices out there that bring much more on board with much less controversy. Not to mention that is the image they are cultivating and actively promoting! I don't think most "amothers" are voting for McCain b/c of Palin on the ticket. Saying that she is what they were looking for to "balance the ticket" is in no way indicative of McCain supporters' "lack of intelligence". It's politics baby. Glad you are over it.

Last edited by chavamom on Fri, Sep 05 2008, 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 3:25 am
Secbeb wrote:

Wit is wonderful, but snobbiness is unbearable.
Alright - all vented out. Rolling Eyes And fyi, I'm a registered independant. But I can't stand the superficial digs. Its boring, and I'm so over it.

I quite agree.
I'm beginning to think the Republican's need to go from Donkey to Rabbit, it just seems they are so scared of Palin, that they have to criticize her looks and whether they would like to eat dinner with her.

Akeres Habayis

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 3:34 am
excuse me,I haven't heard one clear fact w/sources of why she is good for the republican ticket.
except she was mayor and governor and changed so much,but when u look at the public records of what actually she did as governor,it doesn't gel.
do u know alaska received the most money for spending from the government than ANY OTHER STATE IN THE U.S!
did u know that alaska DEPENDS on the oil companies??the same oil companies that get huge tax breaks while the regular shmo bo pays more in percentage?

again if u are voting for mccain I beg u,PLEASE show me specifically what he has done,or her,and link the source.
I have only heard how cute she is,as well as her family...which they are.
someone mentioned the AP is slanted in their facts.
well please show me a source that disputes it,bc I looked and couldn't find it.
I try never to just read what the papers say,I search to see if its accurate.that's how I found out John Mccain does not have my best interest at heart.a little more digging revealed he voted w/bush 90% of the time
the bottom line is if u vote for mccain its bc u like the status quo,if so b'seder.if u dont like it then either vote for obama,or dont vote at all

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 3:53 am
She is smart, capable, exciting, anti corruption, productive, a doer and not a sayer. Is that enough for you? productive and a doer not a sayer.

sarahd

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 6:09 am
Secbeb wrote:
chavamom wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

Frankly, I thought she lacked Hillary's intelligence. Which I realize some people may say is a good thing about Palin.

Actually, that's what they are shooting for. They are hoping that white lower-class, working-class, uneducated types will be swayed by her presence on the ticket and vote Republican. Shrewed work there.

First of all, its spelled "shrewd" and secondly, I think this elitist liberal attitude is what turns people off (or me at least). Inferring that the general public is uneducated, or more subtly, stupid.

Or bitter, church-going gun-toters...

Secbeb

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 6:52 am
chavamom wrote:
You're so over it that you have to take me to task for my typos? Not that you are elitist or anything.......

I guess we can't have anyone think I meant that she is a SHREW.

I apologize for correcting your typo. embarrassed

Clarissa

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 7:45 am
What have we learned? The country is hugely divided between different types of people with very different priorities. We are divided here, as well, although obviously more frum Jews are staunch Republicans. Knock me over with a feather on the divide.

I'd have to say that it appears that her speech was a success. People who were concerned that McCain is too moderate can now be assured that his partner is a very right-wing Christian (book-banning is as right-wing as you can get) and see that things will remain pretty much the same in the White House. I don't think it'll do the job of drawing in former Hillary supporters -- women like that hate women like Palin. But for Conservative Christians who weren't enthusiastic about McCain because of his moderate stance, Palin is somebody they can get behind. In my neck of the woods (I don't mean this literally, but I mean with my crowd) they are horrified by her, and I know at least one former McCain supporter who's now voting Obama. Still, I think this is rare.

I feel that McCain might win now. Before, I wasn't so negative about him, and so strongly behind Obama. I responded to her speech by sending Obama and the DNC some money. But I think, in the grand scheme of things, she's been a big success for the McCain campaign. Time will tell as to whether this this continues to be the case, but it might very well be.

People can say things like anybody who doesn't like Palin wants to have dinner with someone like Hillary. I don't get that. I can think of very few people with whom I want to have dinner. All these comments reiterate is that most of the women here wouldn't want to have dinner with me, being that "type." That's okay by me, I'm antisocial.

ora_43

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 8:39 am
HindaRochel wrote:
She is smart, capable, exciting, anti corruption, productive, a doer and not a sayer. Is that enough for you? productive and a doer not a sayer.

That would be enough if someone could bring sources to prove it. But for now, saying she's anti corruption and a doer is not enough when she's on the record as having supported the "bridge to nowhere" and then pretended she had nothing to do with it, or when her state has been requesting huge amounts of money when it's 47th nationwide in population.

A "doer" is only a good thing if the person is doing good things. If her accomplishment is taking far more money than should be necessary to run a state like Alaska, I'd rather have someone who's just a sayer, please. If her goals for the next four years include continuing the Iraq war and promoting Christian values, all the more so.

happyone

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 8:44 am
Hopefully the election polls will look something like the polls here on Imamother.

Secbeb

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 9:08 am
chavamom wrote:
Oh and just to clarify - I do think that the choice of Palin is clearly aimed at bringing the "small town Walmart hockey moms" on board. If they weren't, there are plenty of other choices out there that bring much more on board with much less controversy. Not to mention that is the image they are cultivating and actively promoting! I don't think most "amothers" are voting for McCain b/c of Palin on the ticket. Saying that she is what they were looking for to "balance the ticket" is in no way indicative of McCain supporters' "lack of intelligence". It's politics baby. Glad you are over it.

I agree, McCain clearly chose Palin to reach out to a new demographic that wasn't necessarily going to vote for him. But the way you quoted Clarissa in saying that she lacked Hillary's intelligence and thus would appeal to the lower class, uneducated white folk struck a nerve.
Yes, I understand that this is political, tactical, manipulative - hardly limited to McCain. There is an attitude in our country, supported by a left leaning media, that Americans are dumb. That sophisticated Europeans are so much more advanced - if only they could vote in our next president. . .

Clarissa

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 9:20 am
Most people aren't all that bright or well-educated. Look at all the people who voted in Bush because he looked like someone you'd have a beer with, a nice, down-home good ol' boy. He's far from it (completely privileged background), although most people can relate to him because he has the IQ of a tree stump. I don't think all Republicans are stupid and poorly-educated any more than I think that all Democrats are brilliant and well-educated. But there is a certain percentage of the population that has very simple ideas about lots of things, either due to their background (educational, religious, where they live, etc.) and due to limited exposure to what the rest of society is like. Watch the Borat video that ChossidMom posted -- see how easily a bunch of regular, good old boys will start singing about throwing a Jew down the well. As someone who traveled extensively to much of the US for 15 years, I have to tell you that there is some truth to the myth about how some Americans have been raised to have pretty simplistic and narrow-minded views about America and people (both here and abroad) in general.

Call them Walmart Americans, if you like. I've spent more time in Walmarts in remote areas than any of you have, talking to regular Joe and Josephina. I did it for a living.

(note: I'm not saying that everyone who voted for Bush is dumb.)

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 9:34 am
Clarissa wrote:
Most people aren't all that bright or well-educated. Look at all the people who voted in Bush because he looked like someone you'd have a beer with, a nice, down-home good ol' boy. He's far from it (completely privileged background), although most people can relate to him because he has the IQ of a tree stump.

I don't think you're giving the tree stump enough credit.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 9:55 am
Clarissa wrote:
Most people aren't all that bright or well-educated. Look at all the people who voted in Bush because he looked like someone you'd have a beer with, a nice, down-home good ol' boy.
SNIP

Um, so if Obama is elected can we say the same thing only instead of "someone you'd have a beer with" because he is so rock-star like?"

gryp

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 10:02 am
People who talk and talk and say nothing are considered intelligent. Those who don't are completely dumb and useless.
I'm so glad I can see right through that and am not drawn in to the senselessness of it all.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 10:40 am
HindaRochel wrote:
Clarissa wrote:
Most people aren't all that bright or well-educated. Look at all the people who voted in Bush because he looked like someone you'd have a beer with, a nice, down-home good ol' boy.
SNIP

Um, so if Obama is elected can we say the same thing only instead of "someone you'd have a beer with" because he is so rock-star like?"
There may be some of that in his appeal. That doesn't mean I think he's full of baloney, but there are absolutely people who are swept off their feet by his charisma and good looks. Same thing in my youth, with all of Kennedy men. There is substance to all of them, but people do get caught up in the youthful energy and good orating skills. Same with McCain -- people get up in the handsome, older war hero thing, and we have to see beyond that, as well. That's part of the problem I had with last night's convention. More about the Hanoi Hilton than anything else. I admit that I am so moved by his heroism and good looks (I find McCain pretty attractive, also, although less so in recent years) that, like Obama, I have to look beyond the hype.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 10:47 am
Clarissa wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:
Clarissa wrote:
SNIP

There may be some of that in his appeal. That doesn't mean I think he's full of baloney, but there are absolutely people who are swept off their feet by his charisma and good looks. Same thing in my youth, with all of Kennedy men. There is substance to all of them, but people do get caught up in the youthful energy and good orating skills. Same with McCain -- people get up in the handsome, older war hero thing, and we have to see beyond that, as well. That's part of the problem I had with last night's convention. More about the Hanoi Hilton than anything else. I admit that I am so moved by his heroism and good looks (I find McCain pretty attractive, also, although less so in recent years) that, like Obama, I have to look beyond the hype.

I don't think "most people aren't that bright or well-educated." I think that there are some unintelligent people out there, and there are some uneducated people out there, but regardless most people try nad make a decision based on what they think is right and with the knowledge they have.

Miss Missie

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 11:06 am
Clarissa wrote:

Call them Walmart Americans, if you like. I've spent more time in Walmarts in remote areas than any of you have, talking to regular Joe and Josephina. I did it for a living.

So we have a journalist amongst us? You sure seem to have the skills...

Those tatooed Walmart Americans are still the most antisemitic and those liberal Democrats tend to be way more accepting . However, Obama in office is too dangerous for our country, had Hillary or John Edwards been the nominee I believe many Independents like me would go for their ticket.
Page 4 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics