Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Melting butter?

baba

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 6:53 am
I'm making cupcakes that are milchig and I have to add in butter. Since I only have a parve mixer I thought it might be easier to add melted butter, so I can mix it in better. Does it make a difference?

drumjj

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 6:57 am
it might change the consistency of the batter?

Marion

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 7:16 am
Really does not change the batter. But why make them milchig? What's wrong with margarine?

chanchy123

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 7:46 am
Marion wrote:
Really does not change the batter. But why make them milchig? What's wrong with margarine?

Common, you didn't really ask that, did you?
Margarine is disgusting, really, it has aboslutely no nutrients, is full of trans fat, and tastes bland at best, even in cakes. It's amazaing how much better baked goods taste when you make the milchig original versions.
I say, better use oil than margarine, but if you want a treat make the recipe milchigs and use butter and cream and yogurt and cheese etc. etc. etc.

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 8:07 am
chanchy123 wrote:
. It's amazaing how much better baked goods taste when you make the milchig original versions.
I'm sure.
I used to use orange juice where a recipe calls for milk. Now I use soy milk and the taste is soooo much nicer.

But I think I'd use oil for this one though. I've never made a milchig cake, that would be far too confusing. Confused (apart from cheesecake!)

Marion

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 8:17 am
Of course I asked it...I don't bake milchigs (except cheesecake for Shavuot), so it may be tasteless and disgusting, but it's pareve, and someone who never has the original milchig version would never know the difference. I don't even have milchig muffin tins to make milchig cupcakes in. (I'm trying to picture my DH if I told him I need to go buy a 2nd set of baking stuff so I can have milchigs as well as pareve...would NOT happen!)

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 8:21 am
Marion wrote:
Of course I asked it...I don't bake milchigs (except cheesecake for Shavuot), so it may be tasteless and disgusting, but it's pareve, and someone who never has the original milchig version would never know the difference. I don't even have milchig muffin tins to make milchig cupcakes in. (I'm trying to picture my DH if I told him I need to go buy a 2nd set of baking stuff so I can have milchigs as well as pareve...would NOT happen!)

Yeah that.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 9:43 am
Marion wrote:

Well MY Dh says we can use the same pans for milchig and parve. Since you never eat cake with meat it's no problem. It took some getting used to but now most of my baking stuff is milchig.
DH can pasken issur vehiter he did the rabanut test I guess I can trust him.
Basically the reasoning is that it's בחזקת חלבי meaning you can't serve it with meat but there is no problem eating it After meat for dessert.
The only problem is that if I wanted to make parve muffins for a fleishig meal (like mini kugels or something). But hey, isn't that what we have neighbors for?

chanchy123

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 9:44 am
mummy-bh wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:
. It's amazaing how much better baked goods taste when you make the milchig original versions.
I'm sure.
I used to use orange juice where a recipe calls for milk. Now I use soy milk and the taste is soooo much nicer.

But I think I'd use oil for this one though. I've never made a milchig cake, that would be far too confusing. Confused (apart from cheesecake!)

I also try to use soy milk in parve recipes instead of coffee rich.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 10:11 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Well MY Dh says we can use the same pans for milchig and parve. Since you never eat cake with meat it's no problem. It took some getting used to but now most of my baking stuff is milchig.
DH can pasken issur vehiter he did the rabanut test I guess I can trust him.
Basically the reasoning is that it's בחזקת חלבי meaning you can't serve it with meat but there is no problem eating it After meat for dessert.
The only problem is that if I wanted to make parve muffins for a fleishig meal (like mini kugels or something). But hey, isn't that what we have neighbors for?

And what about the baking utensils? My bowl scraper is silicon, my measuring cups plastic. My mixer stuff is metal and sometimes I make cake-like kugels in it or dough for meat pies.

So unless you're willing to get me another KitchenAide, I'll stick with my 'disgusting' margarine thankyouverymuch.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 10:21 am
I sometimes make milchig muffins or scones. I actually have a milchig handmixer (they are not expensive) and usually it is small amounts that get eaten at once. pareve scones are just not the same! and I have lasagna/quiche dishes that can double up as cake tins! (although muffins taste pretty good using soy milk)

if you have a milky microwave you can soften the butter slightly, or just leave it out the fridge for a while so it gets soft.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 10:30 am
YESHASettler wrote:

And what about the baking utensils? My bowl scraper is silicon, my measuring cups plastic. My mixer stuff is metal and sometimes I make cake-like kugels in it or dough for meat pies.

So unless you're willing to get me another KitchenAide, I'll stick with my 'disgusting' margarine thankyouverymuch.

So we have a cheap brand X mixer that we haven't toveled yet (we've had for two and a half years now I guess). I have a parve food processor and a milchig one. Bowl scraper, measuring cups etc. (also silicon and plastic) shouldn't be a problem since you only use them for cold batter.
Need to ask DH if you can use mixer for both cold dairy and pareve - not sure about that (since it's not really a knife it might be ok). I do use margarine when I have no choice for a recipe that needs to be parve (like pie crust and stuff), but I try to substitue oil for marg. whenever I can.

Wish I had a kitchenaid, or a Kenwood - then my DH would be baking up a storm (he's been pining for one since we were married).

nylon

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 10:39 am
ask your rav, some pasken it's fine to use the same mixer with different bowls and beaters. You don't need to buy a whole new unit.

To the OP, if the butter has to be beaten in cold, you can't melt it--the recipe is relying on the air beaten into the butter.

Marion

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 11:35 am
I'm impressed you have space for 2 food processors; I barely have room for my 1 (pareve).

We DO eat cake with meat. Or, rather, kugels that have been baked in my baking tins. And since I bake for others, I would never bring them something bechezkat chalavi for Shabbat. I would not be comfortable serving something bechezkat chalavi on my fleishig dishes (even if technically it's OK).

baba

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 1:10 pm
Thanks everyone, I ended up doing ti by hand. There were still little miny pieces of butter, but it was fine. I made them milchig cause the recipe also asked for milk and it wasnt going to be eaten with meat, so no reason not to. I dont have a mixer etc that is milchig (hence I did it by hand), just the measuring cupes, which you can get for only a few shek. As for the baking tin, we do as chanchy says. It's chizkat chalav, no problem to eat it after meat and I only really use the tin for desert, so it's fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics