Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Need help in decision making about where to live.
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 12:13 pm
My DH and I are planning to move and we are looking into a few places like NJ, Ohio, PA, NY, Montreal, Michigain, and FL. We are looking for a place that has a good balance of Jewish and Secular education for girls and boys. Prefebly not mixed. We want a nice size Jewish Community. I also want to know the pricing of for purchasing a house, how much is rent, the cost of living, job opportunities and anything else you can think of.

I know you will ask where I live but I want to keep it anonymous for the reason if you will mention my location and you might say something about it that I have never seen before I will think twice about moving.

You can post annonymously if you want. Also if there is anyone else out there from different areas please post too. Thank you all.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 12:40 pm
Baltimore is wonderful.
good blend of people from all different backgrounds.
pricing of homes ARE going up but you can still find lower end housing in the older neighborhoods.
various schools to choose from, all excelent education.
Wonderful Rabbis.
if you want more info about this community, post your Q!
and a pre-welcome to our great city!!!!!

technic

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 12:46 pm
"I know you will ask where I live but I want to keep it anonymous for the reason if you will mention my location and you might say something about it that I have never seen before I will think twice about moving."

I love this bcos I recently read of a woman who was planning 2 move, called the agent abt a property ad she liked, and....it was her own home!!! LOL

amother

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 12:47 pm
Cleveland is good. Diverse communities, very close to each other and housing is DIRT cheap. Huge homes for under 150K. Lots of school options. But not good for real chabadnicks b/c there is no chabad school. But the schools that are here are separate and have a lot of chabad kids and provide a good secular and Jewish education.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 12:55 pm
We're also in the process of looking to move. We're in Baltimore now. It's a nice place for the RIGHT family. We're looking at a few communities. If you'd like to e-mail me at baltimoremom@hotmail.com we can swap info. Lots of luck!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 1:03 pm
I personaly dont like baltimore, there are not a lot of schooles to choose from, if ur frum theres only bais yakov and if u r a little diffrent then the school ur not so excepted. there is a chabad community but no chabad school.there are a lot of shuls to chose from.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 1:15 pm
they've opened another girls school a couple years ago called Bnos Yisroel.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 1:15 pm
Bnos Yisroel is the new girls school in Baltimore

amother

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 1:25 pm
Bnos Yisroel is not so new anymore. They've been around for at least 7 years or so. Depending on what you're looking for in a school it's a good school. They focus a lot on midos. Most people who have their kids there love it, but it is not for everybody. The majority of our community still send their kids to BY, including myself, although I can't say I love it. The schools here are not great, but truth is I can't say the schools are much better elsewhere.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 8:05 pm
amother wrote:
Cleveland is good. Diverse communities, very close to each other and housing is DIRT cheap. Huge homes for under 150K. Lots of school options. But not good for real chabadnicks b/c there is no chabad school. But the schools that are here are separate and have a lot of chabad kids and provide a good secular and Jewish education.

Original Amother, This sounds good, it has a good balance I was wonderinng what is the cost of tuition? Is there good mix of job opportunities there available or is it entry level?

zigi

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 12:55 am
in passaic nj there are 4 bedroom houses for about 400,000 which is good compared to brooklyn where houses are going from a small one 525,000 to 700,000 for a regular one, in ch also condos are going from 350,000-500,000 depending where and how many rooms you want.
in nj there could be high property taxes, I heard that they like to tax there! there are a lot of schools. I think the tuitions though could be expensive. you could read the jewish press classifieds thats were I saw the housing prices.
I saw an ad which mentioned a house for 274,000 a 3 bedroom thats across from the shul it says that they have a jewish commmunty with a jewish day school, 845-255-1045 if you want to know about jobs look at monster.com or job finder.com

amother

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 7:34 am
Monsey, NY has got a nice mix of all sorts - depending on the neighborhood you choose. There's also several schools to choose from.
Good luck.

Chanie

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 11:01 am
You mentioned interest in montreal. Here there are a number of Jewish schools, from the traditional to chassidish and everything in between. There ar a few neighborhoods, a more chassidish, a yeshivaish type, lubavitch and a few more modern or sfardic communities. Most are with in a short distance of each other, but there are more suburban (and cheaper neighborhoods) like Laval, DDO that have communities as well.
Kosher food is readily available as well as all Judaica items, and many restaurants, etc.
They say the job market is good here, but I haven't really been there. However, unless you speak some french, you'd have to stick to Jobs in the frum sector, although I have no idea what fields you or your dh are in.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Oy vey! I feel like a Real Estate Agent here.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 11:16 am
I live in Crown Heights and never wanted to live anywhere else!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
I personaly dont like baltimore, there are not a lot of schooles to choose from, if ur frum theres only bais yakov and if u r a little diffrent then the school ur not so excepted. there is a chabad community but no chabad school.there are a lot of shuls to chose from.

Last I checked there was also a frum school called Rambam. Just b/c it's mixed doesn't mean that the people that attend are religious.

Personally, I think Baltimore has a lot to offer. I recently moved here, and like the fact that the community is very diverse, there are loads of shuls to choose from, and there are many restaurants. Plus, there's an added bonus that it's still out of town!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 11:51 am
Edit to the above statement,meant to write: Last I checked there was also a frum school called Rambam. Just b/c it's mixed doesn't mean that the people that attend aren't religious.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 12:28 pm
rambam is a very modern school and not all people want there kids in the same class as boys and girls, and the school is expencive, so that means u need money

amother

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 12:34 pm
I did hear that bnos yisroel is a good school in baltimore, I know some people there and they are happy, but it only has younger grades. I grew up in baltimore and now live in ny, I realy like ny besides the mice I HATE

amother

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:
I did hear that bnos yisroel is a good school in baltimore, I know some people there and they are happy, but it only has younger grades. I grew up in baltimore and now live in ny, I realy like ny besides the mice I HATE

bnos yisroel is planning on starting its HS next year, I believe.
I grew up in baltimore, too Wink - loved the place, and still do!
BY has a very diverse crowd, so it really can fit most types. I came from a modern background, but was still friends with girls from Yeshiva Lane.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 5:23 pm
Quote:
Posted: Sun, Jan 29 2006, 1:03 pm Post subject:

I personaly dont like baltimore, there are not a lot of schooles to choose from, if ur frum theres only bais yakov and if u r a little diffrent then the school ur not so excepted

dont konw where you get that info from. the by in balto has every single type of frum girl you can imaigne. I have never in my life met a by like it. Everyone is accepted and no one is looked down on. some of my closest friends were girls who were much 'more' or 'less' (the quotes are cuz who can judge) frum than me. the teachers answered all questions, none were laughed at. ymei iyun were about everything and anything. I dont konw how you can say that if youa re diff from the school you arent accepted. cuz there is NO different from the school cuz everyone is diff
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics