Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Co-worker impossible to work with

amother

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 12:03 am
I work about 40 hours per week from home. I feel very good that I am able to stay at home, while earning much needed money for my family.

My job is a bit technical and I have had to basically train myself. Each month I must file a report, which a number of people's salaries is dependant upon. There is a ton of pressure, but it is rewarding.

I have one person who I work with who is extremely difficult. (Yes, I have spoken to the boss, who has spoken to him, but it hasn't gotten much better!) He does not hand his work in on time, causing me major delays. When it is handed in, it tends to be incomplete or wrong. I have asked him on numerous occasions to please be more careful with things, yet he continues to make stupid errors because of his carelessness. When confronted he comes up with stupid excuses, which I see right through as being false.

I needed to train him for something a few weeks back. He insisted rather than doing this technical training in person, that he only had time over the phone. He reassured me that he understood everything completely. When it came time for him to do the work, he told the boss he didn't know how!

I had a major report due a week or so ago. Due to a number of major extenuating circumstances, I was very behind schedule. I asked the boss if this guy should help me in meeting the deadline. The boss said considering everything, yes he should help. I sent him e-mails which he ignored, tried to call him, etc. In the end the boss got through. He said he'd do it for sure. In the end, he did not do an ounce of the work!

I am so frustrated with him! Any advice on what to do?

bubby

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 12:12 am
Keep a log, save your emails, & when it comes to review time, tell the truth. I wouldn't try to get him fired, but maybe you can tell your boss that he just doesn't come through. If he is to blame for you not getting work in on time, you may have to push him under the bus to save your skin. You can only carry a burden for so long until you have to drop it.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 5:28 am
Hmm, that's a tough situation.
Since you seem to have an open and frank communication with your boss, I would try to leverage that. You can warn (BUT NOT THREATENINGLY) your co-worker that you are concerned about his mistakes ("which I'm sure are not intentional"), but since they do affect everyone else's end-results/quality of work/ability to meet the deadline, you might have to bring it up with your boss UNLESS things improve over the next month or two (give specific deadline).

If things don't improve, send an email to your boss. Not sure whether you should cc-copy the co-worker, probably not. BE SPECIFIC in describing how his failing affects the timeliness/accuracy of work but DON'T BE DEFENSIVE (show you care about the work output, not this guy is driving you crazy as it probably doesn't affect the boss). Then propose setting up a meeting (or a conf call) with all three of you involved. Voila! Now you are a good woman taking proactive measures addressing productivity issues! Hatzlacha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers