Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
DH's tallis bag stolen...

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 6:23 pm
...but his tallis and tefillin were not taken..

We live in a small community, where you will have one or 2 Jewish families on one block, and another family a few blocks over. Our street is all non jews, except us.

its a safe neighborhood, so Dh leaves the car unlocked and stuff inside (against my better judgment)

A couple of weeks ago he goes out to get his tallis, and he sees, on the front seat of the car his tallis, the tefillin still in their bag, but no tallis bag... almost as if it disappeared from around the tallis. The car looked rifled through, but nothing else was taken.

Just a weird "huh" moment.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 6:52 pm
maybe someone thought it would make a nice cushion cover? What did it look like?

Oh well - now you know what to get him for his next birthday.

sarahnurit

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 7:03 pm
B"H the tefillin where still there!
Yes, probably they thought it was a cool pillow case... Rolling Eyes

cassandra

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 7:04 pm
Maybe they thought they'd find jewelry inside, but once they realized what it was they just ran and forgot to leave the bag?

So weird.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 7:15 pm
Well B"H the tefillin were left. Amazing. And btw, my dh who is also from Albany (don't know if your dh is from there) neglects to lock things. It's taken years of my NYer mentality to rub off on him...he still forgot to lock the door last night.

sarahnurit

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 7:29 pm
We once got robbed in a hotel, the thieves came into our room while we were sleeping and stole money and a camera..in the morning when we woke up we saw that our stuff was gone, included my dh's tallit & tefillin...we were already loosing hope, when I found outside the room, next to an open window, the tallit, tefillin and bags thrown on the floor...

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 7:40 pm
mimisinger...who is your husband and how recently did he leave the community?

DH is originally from Mt. Vernon, so he has no right to have the upstate mentality.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 7:45 pm
Dh is actually from a suburb of Albany but knows everyone in Albany as do mil and fil.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 7:47 pm
what shul are they associated w/?

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 7:50 pm
R' Bomzer

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 7:52 pm
woah! Albanians untie! or unite! or just represent! (yo)

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 7:57 pm
ok, then based on your SN, assuming they have the same last name, I know them a bit, but not closely

toastedbagel

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 8:40 pm
if it doesn't turn up, get him one of those nice leather ones - more $ than velvet, but soo nice. It will take away the icky feeling of having it stolen if he gets a really nice one to replace it.

realeez

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 8:55 pm
That's really too bad Sad

I once heard that R' Moshe Heinemann had his tallis bag (but not tallis and tefillin) stolen. A few months later, a lady in his city had a cleaning lady who walked in holding her purse - a black velvet bag with flower embroidery and his name embroidered on it. Apparently she picked it up at a flea market!

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 12:02 pm
does anybody remember the funeral velvet stolen cover that was on e-bay ... it's somewhere on imamother ...

anyways we were once called from a nearby state where we were told to be on the lookout for pretend meshulachim who stole teffillin from detroit ... ah they were caught here in cleveland ... they certainly dressed the part ...

it's a shame what people steal ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics