Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Dam, Tzefardeah... Reminder

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 7:35 am
Please remember that Israeli grape juice (and possibly some wines already) are Kedushat Shevi'it and you can't waste any of it by spilling out from your cups (the same holds true for those who overspill for Havdalah and/or use the grape juice to put out the candle).

Marion

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 7:38 am
Also...IIRC the zman for biur for grape juice is EREV PESACH...so you have to make it hefker if you still have it!

shalhevet

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 8:04 am
Marion wrote:
Also...IIRC the zman for biur for grape juice is EREV PESACH...so you have to make it hefker if you still have it!

If you have enough for more than 3 meals for the whole family (including seder night).

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 9:09 am
never heard of this ... please explain ...

Marion

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 9:13 am
Shmitta produce (and their derivatives) are not supposed to be exported. Nonetheless, sometimes they are. Shmitta products have kedushat shvi'it and can't be wasted. Therefore one cannot use it to extinguish a havdalah candle, it cannot be spilled out (for the makkot), etc. There are also halachot about how much you can own past a certain point, under the assumption that one can only consume so much before it goes bad. Maybe Shalhevet can elucidate the rules for hefker, because I'm not so clear on them myself.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 9:30 am
interesting ... thanks ...

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 10:30 am
wow, thanks for reminding us. gosh, we only drink grape juice. I guess we have to look extra carefully for either something from chul or not kedushat sheviit.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 10:37 am
Or just be careful about not spilling this year...

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 10:46 am
(1) What about havdala?
(2) Perhaps this explains why Chabad gave out, for the army boys at Purim, IMPORTED grape juice (Kedem under another, Heimish, name). I could not for the life of me figure out why they would go that expensive route. This may be an explanation, so there is no chashash if they toss the bottles around, spill the juice etc.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 10:49 am
doesnt the bottle h ave to say on it kedushat sheviit? or are we just to assume that they all are?

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 11:06 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
doesnt the bottle h ave to say on it kedushat sheviit? or are we just to assume that they all are?

It will say Otzar Beis Din and Kedushat Shevi'it on the back of the bottle somewhere.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 11:39 am
We keep two kinds of grape juice in the house. The Otzar Beis Din one is for drinking and the chu"l one is for havdalah.

tomorrow

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 12:13 pm
It'll say Otzar Beit Din on it pretty noticeably. You won't find it in chu"l because it's assur to take kedushat shvi'it produce or products thereof out of Eretz Yisrael.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 12:34 pm
I would expect the bottle to say something. I was SHOCKED today to find KDUSHAT SHVIIT signs on apples and pears in my totally chiloni area supermarket. I never saw that before (last year on veggies, for example). So, does that mean that all the apples and pears are not heter mechira?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 1:20 pm
ok, the grape juice that we buy says nothing on the bottle so I guess that we are ok ? What

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 1:24 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
ok, the grape juice that we buy says nothing on the bottle so I guess that we are ok ? :what

Which brand do you use? We use the Tirosh Karmel and it is clearly labeled in the back that it is Otzar Beit Din/Kedushat Shevi'it.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 1:26 pm
shabbat on mine right under the hechsher it says yevul nochri

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 2:51 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
ok, the grape juice that we buy says nothing on the bottle so I guess that we are ok ? What

Which brand do you use? We use the Tirosh Karmel and it is clearly labeled in the back that it is Otzar Beit Din/Kedushat Shevi'it.
we use muskot and it does not say anything anywhere and I just checked again.

Marion

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 2:34 am
The Geula brand is the "Heimish Kedem" that they sell here. Yes, the Tirosh is all shvi'it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics