Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Work from home that does not involve selling?
1  2  Next

Tweedledee

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 1:15 pm
I am looking for a legitimate work from home opprtunity but asll ayone reccomends is multilevel marketing which I am not interested in. ideas

Teacup9

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 1:32 pm
http://www.google.com/support/.....rater

http://www.pcworkathome.net/ot......html

online secret shopping
http://www.canonresearchgroup.com/

I also recommend regularly searching Craig's List with the "telecommute" search feature. Most jobs will be categorize, but occasionally a legit one will pop up.

Other things to look into are "secret shopping" or "quality rating"

Tweedledee

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 1:33 pm
I was told those secret shopper things were scams. is that legit? I would love to try that.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 1:38 pm
I signed up to be a secret shopper quite a few years ago. They pay next to nothing (or at least didn't pay well at the time), and there is paper work to do. I don't know how it is if you are an online secret shopper, but for the "regular" kind there is driving and work involved. Again, for a pittance.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 1:38 pm
is there a hobby or mothering/parenting or professional topic that you're passionate about and would want to make a web site about? you'd have to have lots of ideas of articles to write related to that one topic.

Teacup9

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 1:40 pm
Tweedledee wrote:
I was told those secret shopper things were scams. is that legit? I would love to try that.

I get emails from the Canon one, but I haven't had a chance to do any yet. You could email or call Canon directly to ask. I think a lot are scams, but some are real. I just never give out credit card or bank information (many pay with visa gift cards and some even charge a fee for that option, but you can always switch once you trust them) and don't lay out money when shopping. The emails from Canon always give me a code to use to pay for items or instruct you to cancel at the confirm order page.

Teacup9

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 1:46 pm
Tamiri wrote:
I signed up to be a secret shopper quite a few years ago. They pay next to nothing (or at least didn't pay well at the time), and there is paper work to do. I don't know how it is if you are an online secret shopper, but for the "regular" kind there is driving and work involved. Again, for a pittance.

I tend to agree. I type quickly, but often I've looked at LONG lists of sites to shop at, each with specific rules, then there are forms to rate them all and it feels like three hours of work would pay be $10. Or I've been sent little tasks and the compensation is $.20 here and $.15 here.

Google rating however pays well. The work is TEDIOUS, the testing for search raters is hard, and I'm bitter because they won't rehire me. Mad

Tweedledee

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 1:50 pm
I am passionate about music. I would love to do jewish music reviews only how do you ever give a bad review without it being lashon harah?

Teacup9

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 1:58 pm
Tweedledee wrote:
I am passionate about music. I would love to do jewish music reviews only how do you ever give a bad review without it being lashon harah?

You say fans of so and so will love it. Or if you like this and this, that album is for you. You can also compare it unfavorably to the artist's past albums. You can also describe things matter of factly like lyrics like "quote quote" or write about random tempos perfect for robot dancing. When I read reviews I am more interested in learning if it is the type of thing a person like me would enjoy and rarely care what the actual reviewer thought.

Tweedledee

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 2:06 pm
how does one get to be a music critic for jewish magazine's?

Teacup9

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 2:11 pm
Tweedledee wrote:
how does one get to be a music critic for jewish magazine's?

You would have to call the magazine and find out.

Alternately you could set up a website or use a blog to post your reviews, thoughts, links to samples, etc. Make sure to use a program that counts your readership and hold things like contests to encourage commenting and having others promote your site. Once you are established you can ask singers and producers to pay for ads on your site. Because it is a Jewish site other companies may also be interested. Just think of the type of people who advertise on imamother and onlysimchas.

Tweedledee

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 2:16 pm
I'm not looking to start a website.

ora_43

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 3:28 pm
There's a lot you can do from home.

From what I've seen, jobs from home break down into three basic categories: language, creation and childcare.

Childcare-- pretty self-explanatory. You can open a daycare or playgroup or drop-in care center in your home, or just babysit occasionally.

Language-- Writing, editing, translating, secretarial work (maybe this should be its own category, but whatever). Tutoring online. There are companies that hire steady employees, and then there's working freelance. If you work freelance you have to constantly be pitching yourself. Be active in going out to find jobs, for example by sending writing samples to different magazines in case they're ever looking for someone in your field.

Creation -- Using your talents, making something at home, and marketing it. Two examples of women I know who chose this route -- one was a chef, and cooked for several other women for a reasonable price. She made large, restaurant-quality meals, set some aside for her family, and packaged up the rest for her clients. Another is a great artist and makes paintings and really creative bouquets, which she sells to her steady clients and to people who find her site online.

Tweedledee

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 3:32 pm
I already tried jewlery making. I love making stuff, but I don't know how to sell.

I have considered babysitting, but I am expecting in a few months so that's not practical for the moment although by next year I would like to do it.

Tweedledee

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 9:26 pm
anyone else? please? we're barely making end's meet, my husband is stressed and moping all day and I feel like I need to do something

HooRYou

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 1:40 am
your problem is that with creative fields it takes a while to do enough marketing to really get your name out there and bring in enough clients to really make parnassa out of it. I think you should think about personalized things like nameplates for doors or kesubahs where you can design the whole thing according to the clients tastes and interests.

Tweedledee

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 8:20 am
I emailed a magazine last night. no reply so far., how do I get in touch with horizons people?

ganizzy

Post Thu, Apr 02 2009, 12:46 am
dont know if this will help, and will work if u can get out at night/evening

if ur good at jewlry making then offer ur services to schools, orginazations and shluchim.
ill speak about it from my end - I hired s/o to come and do jewelry making for my womens circle. I told her how many women I expect, what options thay can make, what "level" of jewelry I want (fancy,real,costume...)

so she brought the beads and her tools and the women chose their jewelry and she helped them finish it up. the women were happy, I was happy and I hope she was with the money she made.

so basically if u order in large quantities to get good prices - this is stuff u keep long term - and its a one time price for tools. you can be making $ without too much effort.

this lady that I got to come to me, told me that she did it for a school program for elementary girls. and she charged $5 a head (ca prices)

along this line theres plenty things u can do if ur talented in that erea. s/o I know does programs with making berets out of duck tape, theres waxing for spa nights. fruit/veg garnishing. cake decorating...

if u need more ideas, I can tell u things I'm planning for upcoming events

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Apr 02 2009, 9:10 am
Just saw this on Twitter:

looking for a writer to cover Chaseedishe music, if u or someone u know would be interested send us an email to jewishmusicreport@gmail.com11:41 PM Mar 20th from web

mominisrael2

Post Thu, Apr 02 2009, 11:04 am
I do Jewish music reviews, but only get paid in CDs! Smile Love it though.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers