Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Would you leave teenagers at home alone?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 12:48 pm
My husband and I are going out of town for 2-3 days. I have a few teenagers and they are not interested in going to friends houses. Should I let them stay home? Let them have friends over to sleep? They are quite mature and responsible. WWYD?

ss321

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 12:52 pm
let them stay at home! we did it growing up. are htey responsible? can they lock the doors and turn on the alarm? if by teenager you mean 11 and 13 then I would be reluctant. but if you have mid-older teens (high school age) and they are responsible (wont start any fires, close the doors), then I dont see waht the problem is.

ChavieK

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 12:58 pm
Yes I have & I would again. But they shouldn't go telling other kids. You don't want other teens thinking there may be a party at the house where parents are away.

freidasima

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 1:00 pm
Yes, did it all the time. Big deal, so they trash the house. So what, it's only a house.
So you have two weeks of cleaup afterwards, big deal.
so you have to redo the sofa and pull the food off the kitchen walls and ceiling, so what
So they put goldfish in your bed, so what
Just DONT LEAVE THEM THE CAR!!!!!!

chaylizi

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 1:02 pm
as an older teenager, I stayed with younger kids when their parents were away. this is less responsibility than that.

koalamum

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 1:02 pm
You know your own kids. If they are mature and not the troublemaking type, I would say go for it! Why not? I understand that they want to be in their own beds and have their own routines! Just in case, maybe have someone check on them once in a while so you just feel more secure!

Tamiri

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 1:06 pm
It really really REALLY depends on the kids. If you trust them without kidding yourself, then by all means do it. If you worry for one second about them being responsible, then don't. Also, you have to trust your home won't turn into a free-for-all, unless you are the type like FS who is okay with it.

EM

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 2:43 pm
freidasima wrote:
Yes, did it all the time. Big deal, so they trash the house. So what, it's only a house.
So you have two weeks of cleaup afterwards, big deal.
so you have to redo the sofa and pull the food off the kitchen walls and ceiling, so what
So they put goldfish in your bed, so what
Just DONT LEAVE THEM THE CAR!!!!!!

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 2:45 pm
No way. I wouldn't leave my 20'somethings at home either.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 2:53 pm
Thanks for the replies.
I also didn't think there was anything wrong, but my friend scared me off a bit. She said you never know what kids could get into when they're on their own, making prank calls, watching innapropriate videos, going out for midnight strolls... I know my kids, they're really good and responsible. I really really cant see them getting into any trouble. But my question now is, should I let them invites a friend or 2 over to sleep? (or rather be up all night!)? I think the friends are good kids too, but could I really be sure?
I do have a very close next door neighbor that could check up on them occassionally.

Temilia

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 2:54 pm
As teenagers, my parents left us home alone all the time, sometimes with younger siblings. Longest time was for 2 weeks.
But, we had local friends/relatives that knew we were home alone and were available in case of emergency (and I suspect to keep an eye out for any wild or suspicious activities).
BUT, I had friends whose parents would go out of town, and they would host wild parties.
The entire neighborhood knew about those parties, so I am not sure how the parents remained in the dark, but these were the same parents who believed that their dear children had the stomach flu every sunday morning after spending the previous night "at friends", and who were convinced that the unsavory neighbors were dumping empty beer cans in their garbage, so it's not surprising.
Bottom line, you know your kids. And if you aren't sure, it might be a good idea to have a friendly neighbor/ relative available for dinner, or just to check up on them.
This is assuming your teenagers are older. I don't know if a 12 and 14 year old should stay home alone.

grin

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 3:06 pm
I would and have left older [age 16+] teenagers at home alone but I don't think having friends over is a good idea.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 3:22 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

You're kidding, right? How many 19, 20 year olds are mothers?

tziganka

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 3:25 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
I also didn't think there was anything wrong, but my friend scared me off a bit. She said you never know what kids could get into when they're on their own, making prank calls, watching innapropriate videos, going out for midnight strolls... I know my kids, they're really good and responsible. I really really cant see them getting into any trouble. But my question now is, should I let them invites a friend or 2 over to sleep? (or rather be up all night!)? I think the friends are good kids too, but could I really be sure?
I do have a very close next door neighbor that could check up on them occassionally.

All the things you mentioned kids can do when you're home as well.

As far as the friends go- if you know the kids and you like them it shouldn't be a problem.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 4:40 pm
kikavu wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

I will rephrase. I wouldn't leave my kids, who are 19 years old and 21 years old respectively, home alone for days at a time.

jewish

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 5:18 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
kikavu wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

I will rephrase. I wouldn't leave my kids, who are 19 years old and 21 years old respectively, home alone for days at a time.

and y not?
I was home a lone for about 3 weeks
in between I went to a Cuisine wich I hated it but I had to go for my mother sake she forced me and I was 19/5

flowerpower

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 5:19 pm
I would. If they are mature and responsible why not?

chaylizi

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 5:37 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
kikavu wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

you're the mom

Last edited by chaylizi on Tue, Apr 28 2009, 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

goodheart

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 5:45 pm
you have to know ur kids.but I definantly would not let friends stay over/

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 6:27 pm
My fondest memories of my youth are when my parents left us home alone.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children