Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I sent an email to usps- tell me what you think?
1  2  Next

Nicole

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:46 am
Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Was I in the wrong re: the stroller? Tell me what you think. Here's the email:

To Whom it May Concern,
As a US citizen, I have benefitted greatly from the services of the USPS over the years. Having lived in 4 different locations over time, I have had nothing but wonderful things to say about our postal service and its employees.
We've lived at our current home for three years. Until recently, we had a polite and lovely gentleman delivering our mail. A few months ago, however, a new mail carrier began covering our area. I noticed her speaking loudly on her cellular phone while delivering mail on more than one occasion, and although I find this somewhat rude and unprofessional, overlooked it, understanding that she may need some "company" to pass the time of the monotonous mail delivery.
Today, however, things have come to a head. Being that it's a warm day, all of our windows are open. At about 11:30 am, I heard a loud, annoyed voice saying, "I won't climb over a f_______ stroller!". Apparently, I had left my toddler's stroller near the front door, and (though there was room to walk around it) our mail carrier chose to instead throw the mail haphazardly in the general direction of the door, first making no secret of her aggravation.
We live in an orthodox Jewish community, where foul language and cursing has absolutely no place. I am shocked and horrified that my children had to hear such distateful words while in our own home, and by the mail carrier, no less.
I appreciate your taking the time to read this, and hope the matter will be dealt with appropriately.

bubby

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:51 am
Being in a Jewish neighborhood has nothing to do with offensive cursing. But otherwise... Thumbs Up Let us know if you get a response.

Nicole

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:58 am
Oh, do you mean cursing is unacceptable amongst non jews as well? Sadly, I didn't know if this is normal in their circles or not but DO know that around here, that's a MAJOR nono. And ppl appreciate that.

red sea

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 12:08 pm
I dont think you need to tell a whole story in your complaint and language like that would not be appreciated by many not orthodox jewish women with children around to hear it and I would just file a complaint with your local P.O. that the new carrier has been acting unprofessionaly by talking loudly on her cel and cursing, throwing mail...etc. but I wouldnt bother if it was just a one time deal, only if she was pretty consistant, if it matters that much to you which it seems it does.

Last edited by red sea on Thu, Apr 30 2009, 12:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

Clarissa

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 12:12 pm
She might have been having a bad day. I'd just cut her some slack, maybe keep the stroller in another spot, and see if she doesn't anything offensive in the future. Everyone has bad days, sometimes.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 12:18 pm
My mail carrier consistently speaks on his cell phone when he delivers mail and this bothers me because he's obviously not keeping his mind on his job because we consistently receive other people's mail and our neighbors receive ours. Several times my People magazine didn't make it over to me until after my neighbor had read it.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 12:21 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
My mail carrier consistently speaks on his cell phone when he delivers mail and this bothers me because he's obviously not keeping his mind on his job because we consistently receive other people's mail and our neighbors receive ours. Several times my People magazine didn't make it over to me until after my neighbor had read it.
People magazines are meant to be shared. Why do you think that most people get them from doctors' offices?

faigah

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 12:43 pm
The letter is very courteous, but just have an anti Semite read it and he wont take it so well. I think we in golus have to lay low.

Just my two cents.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 12:48 pm
I would not write "Orthodox Jewish community" because any neighborhood with children wouldn't appreciate that and you'll just set yourself up to be labeled as the "complainer". Also, like Clarissa said, she might be having a bad day...I'd let it go and not leave the stroller in the way. I'm not the type to move somebody's stroller and she may not want to touch yours either.

yersp

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 12:51 pm
Clarissa wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:
People magazines are meant to be shared. Why do you think that most people get them from doctors' offices?

I wouldnt want to get a nosed thru magazine. I think it's very not nice of a neighbor to look thru a different persons catalog or magazine without her knowledge. If I would see an interesting magazine or catalog from my neighbor, I'd ask her if it's alright I took it once she was done with it. It says her name on the magazine, not mine. That's sort of like stealing in my book.
At the dr's office is a different story. It's meant to be read by others.

sarahla

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 8:45 pm
I think its good ...
I agree with bubby...im sure non-Jews dont want a cursing mail delivery....
I must add that im not american and I still use the post office...I dont see the relation at the begining of your letter, but im assuming thats a cultural thing... Smile

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 8:56 pm
Nicole wrote:
I heard a loud, annoyed voice saying, "I won't climb over a f_______ stroller!". Apparently, I had left my toddler's stroller near the front door, and (though there was room to walk around it) our mail carrier chose to instead throw the mail haphazardly in the general direction of the door, first making no secret of her aggravation.

I know a mail carrier does not have to deliver if there is ice. I don't know if it extends to other hazardous conditions. You might want to check that out.

Nicole

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 11:30 pm
1- it wasnt hazardous. She could have gone A-R-O-U-N-D it.

2- she can leave the mail IN the stroller if need be. Sheesh. She just threw it on the floor anyway.

Regardless, there's no need for an F word.

alpidarkomama

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 3:28 am
I think the Jewish part was irrelevant too. I would say most people, Jewish or not, don't care to hear cursing from someone who is supposed to be behaving professionally. I would send it in.

louche

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 8:22 am
alpidarkomama wrote:
I think the Jewish part was irrelevant too. .

Me, three.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 10:32 am
Clarissa wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

But then I'm at least a week late on all my celebrity news. What will people think of me if I'm not up to date?

Clarissa

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 10:59 am
Do what I do. Make believe you're too busy being an intellectual. Someone says, "Hey, did you hear that Brad and Angie just gave birth to triplets and adopted Ethiopian twins?" You say, "Hmm, I may have heard something about that. I was so into my Proust I didn't catch the entire story."

Poster above (Buhlight) who explained why it's not cool if a People is used. I was kidding about the doctor's office remark. I said it because people often try to make believe they don't read it at home, but just glance at it in the waiting room.

louche

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 11:31 am
Clarissa wrote:
people often try to make believe they don't read it at home, but just glance at it in the waiting room.

But it's true! I'm too cheap, make that thrifty and environmentally responsible, to subscribe to anything, so I only get to see it at the therapist.

Physical therapist. For the carpal tunnel I developed from being on imamother.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 11:34 am
Nicole wrote:
1- it wasnt hazardous. She could have gone A-R-O-U-N-D it.
2- she can leave the mail IN the stroller if need be. Sheesh. She just threw it on the floor anyway.

To YOU. You're a mom and used to it. She's a Federal employee. Think city employee, but worse. they don't do ANYTHING they don't have to !

Clarissa

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 11:47 am
It's possible they find it hazardous to have to work their way around strollers all the time. I take a baby class where moms constantly leave their strollers outside in weird ways, locking them, so everyone else has to struggle to move them or try not to trip over them. Drives everyone crazy. Maybe OP just got her on a day when she was sick of it. I say, leave strollers out of the path of people who have to do something every day. And understand that everyone has a bad day sometimes and says bad words. Now, if she cursed every day, just because she's a crabby and foul-mouthed person, that's a different story.

By the way, I live in a building with a strict "no strollers or bikes in hallways or any public areas" policy, because of the risk of injury to people who might back into them or trip over them. Bummer for me because my apartment hallway is crowded and I'd love to leave it outside the door (and the halls are really, really wide here outside the apartment, so there's lots of room) but that's the rule.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics