Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Pumping woes
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

raizy

Post Sat, Mar 04 2006, 11:44 pm
I know alot of ladies will kill me for this one.

but if u nurse then u should do your baby a FAVOUR and be near the baby at all time. unless u can pump sucessefully and your baby drinks up the pumped milk .I cant stand to talk to "natural" mothers" anymore . if they are so natural what are they doing working outside the home with a nursing baby... if they want the best for the baby . then be near the baby to feed it at all times. formalla is no good for them it is like taking poison. but to leave a crying baby for 8 to 9 hrs a day is a good thing. bc the mother is WORKING and NURSEING and they can tell all their friends that the baby "nursed" aaah

know that I had my vent u can all bang me on my head. (I babysit for ""nursing babies" and the whole thing is getting to me.) one baby quit the formalla and only takes ceral. so I fooled her and added formalla to the ceral. it worked but she quit bottles.

anther baby would rather cry then take bottles . I nicely dumped her out of my playgroup.

a third is a picture book baby. eats every two hrs. etc.

a fourth took pumped milk very nicely. so what I am trying to say is some babies will cooperate with u . and some wont...

stem

Post Sat, Mar 04 2006, 11:51 pm
Raizy, I agree with you. Having and feeding a baby requires some sacrifices on tht mother's part. If the baby won't take a bottle, then the mother must find a way to keep the baby close and nurse when needed.

chavamom

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 12:14 am
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
1st I went to my gyn for the med but he said there is no such thing as med to increase milk and I should stop nursing shock .

Rolling Eyes Nice guy there. Reglan is another med with a side effect of increased milk supply that doctors will prescribe for someone with decreased supply.

suomynona

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 12:17 am
Don't worry, my baby has never gone hungry.
I'm just saying that it's stressful because when I pump I get exactly enough. And if my baby's schedule during the night is different than usual, then I can't pump that morning.
But I asked the babysitter a few times if he seems to be getting enough & she said yes.

queen

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 12:27 am
chavamom wrote:
Reglan is another med with a side effect of increased milk supply that doctors will prescribe for someone with decreased supply.

chava- suomynona's mentions her medication was for the stomach with side effect of increased milk---- REGLAN does the same thing. Wondering if Anonymous's (sorry, easier to type it this way....!) medication is a generic brand of reglan????

I was also prescribed Reglan to increase my supply but became very lethargic, which was too much for me, above the 'normal' motherhood tiredness... so after a couple days had to stop taking. It also constipated my baby TERRIBLY.....

shalhevet

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 1:54 am
deleted

Last edited by shalhevet on Mon, Feb 20 2017, 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total

chavamom

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 2:26 am
queen wrote:
chavamom wrote:
Reglan is another med with a side effect of increased milk supply that doctors will prescribe for someone with decreased supply.

chava- suomynona's mentions her medication was for the stomach with side effect of increased milk---- REGLAN does the same thing. Wondering if Anonymous's (sorry, easier to type it this way....!) medication is a generic brand of reglan????

I was also prescribed Reglan to increase my supply but became very lethargic, which was too much for me, above the 'normal' motherhood tiredness... so after a couple days had to stop taking. It also constipated my baby TERRIBLY.....

No it is two different medications. Domperidone is supposed to have less side effects, but is harder to get in the US. If it's 'lemaiseh' that you are interested, PM me.

suomynona

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 9:27 am
It's me again. I'm just about ready to give up and give my baby formula for one feeding a day, a few times a week.
Yesterday, I almost had to run over to the babysitter during work because he drank all the milk right at the beginning.
I just don't think it's worth the extra stress. I find it stressful to be a full-time working mom as it is.

sooo... any reason NOT to give him formula a few times a week?
Also, are there significant differences between different types of formula? (I live in Israel). I still have a container I got as a free gift in the hospital.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 3:48 pm
deleted

Last edited by shalhevet on Mon, Feb 20 2017, 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 4:20 pm
My Background: I have lurked here for a year, and never felt ready to post something, but I now feel like I have to speak up. My son is almost 8 months old, I only nursed/pumped for over 6 months, and then started him on some solids. I work full time, and am still pumping away. My mother-in-law is an IBCLC, and I have learned a lot from her and reading material.

That being said, I am still only a human, and have no real experience in LC, though many people have asked my advice....

I don't know what I'll say is the best or most accurate, but I will make this as trustworthy as I can.

For some people, formula does wonders for them. It in no way comes close to the real thing, but B"H their babies are not starving. However, for BF mothers, giving formula is one of the worst things you can do. You can justify and say that the baby will still get the benefits of mother's milk. People are not taking into account that once you start supplementing, your supply will decrease drastically. This is even more true if you barely have enough to get by now, as seems the case from not having what to pump. Do NOT start formula. It's frustrating to pump, but once you start letting your supply diminish, it is a downward slope from there.

I hate pumping. But I do it because I work full time and it's the best nourishment for my son. There was a time I had to pump 15 ounces a day!! When my body stopped producing enough, I took some herbal supplements for a couple weeks just to build my supply back up, and B"H I was able to stop them. Pumping is a nisayon, but it's up to us to rise above our personal harships and do what's right for our kids.

I think you should pump, pump, pump until you work your supply up. You have to realize you have to pump more than you would have to nurse for that bottle. Pump when you wake up. Pump right before you go to sleep. Pump while working. Save those precious drops. Nothing saddens me more than the new mother who called me this week and told me she only had pumped a half an ounce and since she thought it only lasts 24 hours in the fridge, she threw it out! Oy. Milk can be at room temp. from 8, in the fridge for 8-10 days, and frozen for at least 6 months. Stock up every drop you have. Try pumping right after your baby finishes nursing, and don't stop until you are pumping for 2 minutes without a drop coming out. You may very well have a second let-down and get more milk, while building up your supply.

I did not have frozen milk saved until my son got sick and had no appetite for a few days. I pumped then, and stored it in the freezer.

As far as traveling on a plane, I too thought I should bring a bottle, but my son had other plans, and I ended up nursing. B"H I had a corner seat, so this was easier than I imagined. If you have a coat or blanket, it shouldn't be too hard.

B'hatzlacha!

suomynona

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 4:37 pm
Hashem Yaazor, thanks for taking the time to write.

I think what I will do is that I'll pump once for the missed feeding. I'll send that milk (probably 2-3 oz.) to the babysitter together with formula to supplement. I can't imagine it will decrease my milk supply that much. All this is is pumping 4x a week instead of nursing.

Also, I read somewhere that just because a person doesn't get a lot when they pump doesn't mean the person doesn't have a good milk supply - some people just can't pump.

Maybe I am selfish but I am just not willing to pump more than I do now. I feel like I don't have a second to do anything. Most nights I go to sleep with a sink full of dirty dishes etc.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 5:00 pm
Pumping does not empty you as much as nursing, and therefore, your supply will diminish. It's up to you, but I don't think it's the best idea.

I also go to sleep many nights with dirty dishes; I find doing them in the morning wakes me up Smile But I almost never go to sleep without pumping...BTW, I now pump only 9 ounces a day...all because my son started solids. 2 months ago, I was pumping 12 ounces.

suomynona

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 5:21 pm
I don't have time to do the dishes in the morning either.

I would have to pump 4-5x a day to get 9 oz.

newmom

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 6:29 pm
suomynona- you are NOT being selfish if you choose to pump once a day and give formula once a day during the week. Obviously you tried your hardest and it's just not working for you. If this is driving you mad, then stop.
Breastfeeding is not a religion and you don't need to follow the chumras of it!
By the way, I am not anti BF- I'm a nursing mom myself- but if it interfered with my sanity I would give a bottle.

chavamom

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 11:00 pm
suomynona- you are in Israel, no? Did you ask about Oxytocin nasal spray? Many doctors there will prescribe it, it causes you to have a let down of milk and helps women to pump more easily and get more milk.

suomynona

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 1:37 am
Thanks, newmom.

Chavamom, I ask a GP about the spray?

chavamom

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 1:40 am
suomynona wrote:
Thanks, newmom.

Chavamom, I ask a GP about the spray?

Ask a GP or OB.

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 1:41 am
I posted earlier about the domperidone/motilium. Unless you are a person very into natural and no meds please look into getting it. It worked amazing for me. I didn't realize you are in Israel. I am also. Your dr should prescribe it for you no prob. I didn't have any side effects and I'm begging you to please try it b/4 going to formula.
If you go to formula your supply will go down and you'll prob end up supplementing more then you wanted and getting yourself into a catch 22 sitch. Also, many bf babies don't like formula. if anything see about maybe starting solids once a day. Also try pumping at the same time as nursing (easier with baby in the football hold position). Also evaluate the pump you are using- are u using electric pumping both sides? these could stimulate more milk production in the future as opposed to manual bec the suction is stronger and more baby like.

All that being said, you have to again evaluate your desire to bf. it mite not end up being even half and half but you mite end up all formula, which mite not be bad. you must decide for yourself
bottom line, nothing is more important to baby then a happy and calm mother

suomynona

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 1:47 am
I want to start solids, but the pediatrician said not to start until 6 months. I'm thinking of starting at 5 months anyway, but I still have a month to go.

I only pump while I nurse my baby.

Can I get the motillium from my OB?

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 1:51 am
You should be able to get it from your OB. I got it from my fam dr one time and ds pediatrician another. the way it works here anyone can prescribe it.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics