Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Baltimore community
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 8:34 pm
I've been here 26 years too. Are there any frum neighbors south of the Aguda? If you are shy it may be better to buy with frum neighbors that your kids could go play with. Did you check the taxes on each? I live in the city & wish I had bought in the county. Taxes are double (well the rate is, but it doesn't translate into exctly double because the houses in county are more $ house for house). We are now going into this "recycling" thing, & only getting one 96 gal garbage can per week.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 10:09 pm
613 wrote:
Oh, and Tova, you only lived here 23 years? Have I lived here the longest? 27 years! Oh, actually I didn't live here for about 2 years at one point, so I guess 25 years in total.

I moved here in 1976. That makes me the winner! Sorry I'm also anon.

BTW, when we moved here in 1976 (I was a kid and stayed when I got married) the "ghetto" was bordered by Glen Avenue, 7 Mile Lane, Reisterstown Road and Park Heights Avenue. That is where 90% of my classmates lived. Someone who lived near Greenspring Avenue was really out of it.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 05 2009, 10:10 am
My grandfather has lived in Baltimore for 91 years. I think he's the grand winner. For obvious reasons, he's not on imamother :-)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 05 2009, 11:21 am
(I would hope not Wink)

ArthurDent, when you move here, give a holler and we'll set up another meet so you can make friends Very Happy

momoswyf

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 5:20 pm
Hey, I might as well chime in since I have been living in Cheswolde since '81. Back then no one lived there and there were no kids and no one wanted to be in our carpool! Aguda of Greenspring sounds like a good fit for OP. Mostly Charedi BTs. I can give you numbers and names of people who live in that area or the ranch leigh area if you PM me. Fallstaff/Labryinth is also nice--tons of kids, but there are only semi's and it is a racially mixed area. West Strathmore/Taney/Pinkney between park heights and cross country is also a really nice area. the 7 mile area is also really booming and the prices are lower there then beazer/RL.
I would not buy the house south of Aguda, esp since you are new. Stick with something smaller but in the heart of the neighborhood--I am talking from experience, Greenspring is a very busy street and people in B-more are used to just sending their kids outside to play--it would be harder if you were on the outskirts. It also makes a difference where you are going to send your kids to school, etc.
In terms of the city/county debate you either pay one way or the other. you can get tax breaks in the city if you are lower income. if you stick with the 21209/21208 zip codes you get cheaper car ins. then if you went to 21215.
Hopes this helps. Good luck.

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 10:51 am
Those few houses that are on both Pimlico and Greenspring really have no frum neighbors. Across the street (on both sides) are apartment complexes with really no one! The streets in Cheswolde, Ranchleigh, Fallstaff, 7mile, etc you have 90% frum on each block! So when you're 1 1/2 blocks away with no one, you're not gonna make friends so easily.

willow

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 1:39 pm
Oh boy just reading this thread makes me miss Baltimore. I really love the community.

ArthurDent

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 11:06 pm
Thanks everyone for your input.

I was totally and completely in love with the house on Greenspring, but I declined to make an offer based upon everything I've heard about it being isolated (even though it's only 1 block south of Steele).

We did however just enter into contract on a house on Fallstaff near Westbrook. I'm so anxious and nervous over this, I can barely keep food down. It's our first house.

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:12 pm
Hatzlacha! I've always heard: better the worst house on the best block, than the best house on the worst block. You're definitely on a great block in Fallstaff! Houses can always be improved (as long as there's some $ Wink ), but you can't always improve your block.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:13 pm
That's a very nice area Smile
There are 3 minyanim on Shabbos very close by (actually a 4th house one I don't know where) -- Rabbi Berger's shul which is a great place to make friends, has a playground, etc...Gerstein's house minyan on Westbrook -- you can meet me there Wink...and Rabbi Weiss's shul on the corner of Falstaff and Clarks.

I see plenty of kids out and about there...it's very, very nice!

Tova

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 3:05 pm
And it's very close to where I live too...you can PM me and I'll tell you exactly where I live!

Hey...time for another meet?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 9:09 pm
does anyone know anything about where followers of the baltimore rebbe send their kids for school and summer camp? where does he send his own kids?

sky

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 9:28 pm
amother wrote:
does anyone know anything about where followers of the baltimore rebbe send their kids for school and summer camp? where does he send his own kids?

Maybe I've been out of Baltimore for too long - who is the Baltimore rebbe?

Atali

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 9:57 pm
sky wrote:
amother wrote:

Maybe I've been out of Baltimore for too long - who is the Baltimore rebbe?

I live in Baltimore now and was wondering the same thing.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 10:52 am
Rabbi Taub?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 10:54 am
Actually, he doesn't send his kids anywhere...unless you mean his son. But I never heard of him referred as the "Baltimore rebbe".

amother

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 1:59 pm
goldberger. where do you suppose a chassidishe rebbe in baltimore would send his kids to school and summer camp? that's who I'm referring to and that's my question. you see my kids have payos like his and they get teased from pillar to post for their payos. the director of the yeshiva where I will send my son next year told me I should have him cut off his payos so that he will fit in. I'd like to send my son to wherever rebbe goldberger sends his son so that's why I ask but I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything. it's just that my sons start camp in a dozen days and I really don't want them to be complexed about their payos and cut them off. I'm beside myself with angst.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 2:59 pm
I've seen Rabbi Taub referred to as the Brieder-Baltimore Rebbe. There are at least a handful of families around with peyos, so you're not alone, but I think most of them go to Taub's shul, not Goldberger's.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 3:23 pm
thanks so much for your response as I'm desperate. where do you suppose their boys go to summer camp? can anyone recommend a camp where a kid with long peyos would feel comfortable and confident? I am willing to move to baltimore if need be.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 3:28 pm
forgot to mention, we are not satmar and I just read that taub is satmar, is that true? although my boys have peyos, I don't think they'd fit in at a satmar camp or school. goldberger isn't satmar is he?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating