Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
I made tongue for the first time in my life
1  2  Next

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jun 05 2009, 11:43 am
They had frozen tongues really cheap (25 nis/kg - around $3/lb) and I went for it. Uch, I don't think I ever made anything that is so disgusting but tastes so good. Peeling it nearly made me retch shock . Then, I was thinking of all those guys in the slaughter house (South American shochet wives, where are you) and could not imagine how they get through the day cutting tongues out of cows, kashering them and packaging them so they can sail frozen to Israel. Uch.
Anyway, it's divine. I have been married over 25 years and have never dared to do this before.

mummy-bh

Post Fri, Jun 05 2009, 12:06 pm
My dh's idea of simchas yomtov involves tongue. I find the concept of it to be so revolting, I refuse point blank to have anything to do with it. My MIL makes it sometimes for him though. I have no problem whatsoever with her spoiling him in this way, so long as I don't have to serve it!

gdgirl

Post Fri, Jun 05 2009, 12:06 pm
wow tthats a gr8 price...send mesome... Very Happy Very Happy

Fox

Post Fri, Jun 05 2009, 1:07 pm
Nu? How did you make it?

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 05 2009, 2:08 pm
do me a favor and don't leave it out by mistake ... because I do NOT want tongue with my fish & soup ...

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 05 2009, 4:19 pm
Was it pickled? I love pickled tongue, but not the regular.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Jun 06 2009, 1:43 pm
Not pickled. I pressure cooked it (per mom, the tongue maker all these years) with onion, garlic, allspice, pepper, salt and bay leaves. I slit the tongue and inserted cloves of garlic. It was divine, no need to ruin it with sauce. The broth is so good that I am saving it for the future to boil rice in. My only mistake was slicing it warm. I should have chilled it first. It's so good if you don't think what it is. Most of my kids gobbled it up.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Jun 06 2009, 1:49 pm
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Jun 06 2009, 2:02 pm
If you eat frozen Mahpud meat, I got it at Chatzi Chinam. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm is right. I almost lost it when one son asked: are these the taste buds? shock
You know the old joke about tongue and eggs.

ChossidMom

Post Sat, Jun 06 2009, 3:17 pm
I adore tongue and I eat Machpud. Where the heck is Chatzi Chinam?
In my home tongue was always considered a "maychal"

Tamiri

Post Sat, Jun 06 2009, 3:36 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
I adore tongue and I eat Machpud. Where the heck is Chatzi Chinam?
In my home tongue was always considered a "maychal"
They have in Holon, Rishon and Petach Tikva. Yes, it's a maychel but at that price - cheap enough to eat every week! I guess they had a surplus, it's not usually available there and especially not at this price.

Blair

Post Sat, Jun 06 2009, 4:32 pm
My whole family loves tongue except for me. We also get it at Chofet Chaim on Aggripas in Jerusalem

Blair

Post Sat, Jun 06 2009, 4:32 pm
Also they are under Rav Rubin.

mandksima

Post Sat, Jun 06 2009, 4:40 pm
When I was 9 years old, I remember this being my favorite, sliced like deli and eaten as a Shabbos treat. I was sort of naive back then. When I casually asked my mother where tongue came from and why they call it the same name as the tongues we have in our mouths and she answered me as if I was from Mars that of course it was the tongue of a cow, I BECAME A VEGETARIAN FOR 9 YEARS!!!!!!

I couldn't believe I had eaten that and enjoyed it. I refused any fleishig dish until I was out of high school. I couldn't trust again. Okay, I was a bit of a drama queen and incredibly stubborn but still, I even get a little queasy when cleaning chickens. I make sure my kids know what we're eating.

Tamiri, I'm so proud of you. Enjoy your tongue. I don't think I'll ever try it again though, even though I loved it so.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 12:10 am
divine is a fair enough word. Enjoy it while it lasts. Yes, slice it cold next time. No need to buy the pickled one, it's really not so healthy. You can just do what Tamiri did.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 12:23 am
A friend of mine once served tongue (deli) and her little boy took a slice and had it hanging out of his mouth like.. a tongue. Uch. Yeah, MandKsIma, it's enough to put you off fleish forever, but it's so darn yummy.
Hey, Shaklee, if pickled tongue isn't so healthy, does that mean that cooked tongue.. is? LOL

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 1:06 am
I always found that tongue melts in your mouth. And when you make it sweet and sour....yummmmmmm.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 8:48 pm
Do you peel the skin once cooked? How long do you cook it for--I also have a pressure cooker.
Do you need to change the water? Isn't it fatty?

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 9:04 pm
Thank G-d I don't like tongue. It has something to do with the first time I saw it. My mother pulled it out of a shalach-manos basket on Purim and it looked exactly like its name. We all sat there open-mouthed in shock.

I'm glad you liked it, Tamiri. Smile

Fabulous

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 9:06 pm
I really like tongue in sauce but I can't make it. I once helped at home to make it on a y't and couldn't look at it.

I compartmentalize in my head when it comes from someones kitchen or store that it comes looking like cold cuts. I can't eat it any other way.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus