Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
I made tongue for the first time in my life
Previous  1  2

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 9:11 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Do you peel the skin once cooked? How long do you cook it for--I also have a pressure cooker.
Do you need to change the water? Isn't it fatty?

In a regular pot, I cover it with water (16 qt pot) and keep on a medium flame for at least 6-8 hours. The fork should pierce through very 'creamy' through the inside. When cooked, take it out and place it on the counter (cutting board, or pan) and slit it open and peel off the outer layer immediately, while boiling hot. Allow to cool and refrigerate.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 9:46 pm
yeah I'm a vegetarian at heart ... I wish they wouldn't call food by what it is ... I mean tongue shock chicken shock kishke shock I used to think that was guts ... MOO OINK !!!

my mother used to make tongue but only her and my father ate it and maybe one sibling ...

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 2:45 am
I peel it once it's cooled down.

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 4:15 pm
We have sliced tongue from the deli every shabbos. My husband is a big believer in "Whatever you spend for shabbos you get back double" so he goes all out. I would love to make it myself because sometimes the deli messes it up and it has no taste.
Does anyone have a recipe?

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 4:18 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Do you peel the skin once cooked? How long do you cook it for--I also have a pressure cooker.
Do you need to change the water? Isn't it fatty?

In a regular pot, I cover it with water (16 qt pot) and keep on a medium flame for at least 6-8 hours. The fork should pierce through very 'creamy' through the inside. When cooked, take it out and place it on the counter (cutting board, or pan) and slit it open and peel off the outer layer immediately, while boiling hot. Allow to cool and refrigerate.

I didnt notice that you posted a recipe already. Thanks.
Do you spice the water? Do you use pickled tongue or plain? Does it come out flavored or plain?

cubbie

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 4:23 pm
My mouth is watering, we LOOOOOOOVE tongue, I grew up on cold pickled tongue, but since I got married I serve it hot with sauce, either sweet and sour or mushroom and red wine.

RightOnTarget

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 4:30 pm
Tongue is a must for dh at his Yom Tov meals. He loves it so much that my mother spoils him and sends it over on a regular basis. I really dont want it to become the norm by him since I am not up to serving it as a regular supper dish.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 4:58 pm
MrsLeo wrote:
We have sliced tongue from the deli every shabbos. My husband is a big believer in "Whatever you spend for shabbos you get back double" so he goes all out. I would love to make it myself because sometimes the deli messes it up and it has no taste.

I love this recipe for sweet tongue.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 4:18 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
MrsLeo wrote:

I love this recipe for sweet tongue.

How long do you cook it for YESHA?

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Apr 06 2010, 2:56 am
I cook the raw tongue until it's tender... not sure how long that is.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 9:41 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
I cook the raw tongue until it's tender... not sure how long that is.

Thanks. I'd love a time frame, but I guess I'll just play it by ear. Smile

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 10:20 pm
If the tongue's pickled:
Cook on medium low till soft. Peel immediately. Do not discard all the liquid. Slice when cold ( so you can control how thick/thin), freeze with liquid, reheat when needed.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 5:07 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Not pickled. I pressure cooked it (per mom, the tongue maker all these years) with onion, garlic, allspice, pepper, salt and bay leaves. I slit the tongue and inserted cloves of garlic. It was divine, no need to ruin it with sauce. The broth is so good that I am saving it for the future to boil rice in. My only mistake was slicing it warm. I should have chilled it first. It's so good if you don't think what it is. Most of my kids gobbled it up.

Tamiri, when do you add the garlic?

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 5:07 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
I always found that tongue melts in your mouth. And when you make it sweet and sour....yummmmmmm.

Do you have the recipe?

shaini

Post Sat, Oct 02 2010, 7:26 am
If you are able to buy vacuum packed pickled tongue, ,my trick is to leave it in the fridge for a few weeks (doesn't go off as its vacuum packed) then just prior to cooking I manage to take the skin off as obviously some of the liquid has softened the skin. I find this method much easier than trying to skin it once cooked. A pickled tongue I cook in boiling water for approximately two hours and it almost always comes out fine.

IloveHashem613

Post Sat, Oct 02 2010, 10:46 pm
I've never made tongue but my mother made it on Yomim Tovim growing up and its the most amazing, soft, melt in your mouth meat ever.... I personally LOVE tongue. My husband on the other hand just can't get past the fact that its a cow's tongue even though he admits the taste is good, he just can't bring himself to eat it. He says he feels like he's french kissing a cow...hahahahaha!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus