Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Washing Sheitel

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Mar 13 2006, 6:05 am
I have a custom shaitel that I rarely wear and therefore only get washed and set about 2-3 times a year, maybe. I often wear it in a pony and therefore it has a "pony-line". Does anyone know how I can get it out myself? I thought of maybe getting it wet and then blow drying it but I don't want to ruin it. Any ideas? TIA

supermommy

Post Mon, Mar 13 2006, 9:58 am
why will getting it wet and blow drying it ruin it? After all doesn't the sheitel macher do the same?
If youre afraid to try blow drying maybe you could invest in a straightening iron. it's kind of like a curling iron just straight.

red sea

Post Mon, Mar 13 2006, 10:00 am
Applying heat to a wet wig ruins the hair, always wait til its at least just damp before applying the heat.

happymom

Post Mon, Mar 13 2006, 10:02 am
Quote:
you could invest in a straightening iron. it's kind of like a curling iron just straight.

I dont think blow drying ruins the hair if its dry, but a straightening iron does. it burns the hair.

cutiemom

Post Mon, Mar 13 2006, 10:04 am
my shaitel macher told me never to use an iron on my shaitel. I have a similar type shaitel as you and when it needs a little straightening I do wet it (with shpritz bottle so you don't have to do whole thing) and then blow dry it when damp like happymom said.
good luck - I'm sure it will come out good.

happyone

Post Mon, Mar 13 2006, 10:04 am
Ask your Rav Exclamation

Clown Happy Purim Clown

supermommy

Post Mon, Mar 13 2006, 1:02 pm
Quote:

Ask your Rav Exclamation

Clown Happy Purim Clown

Rolling Laughter
I guess you learn new things everyday. I didn't know a straightening iron burns the hair. Thanx 4 the info

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Mar 14 2006, 12:41 am
Rolling Laughter
Quote:
Ask your Rav
Rolling Laughter

Thanks all- I will try getting it wet, letting it dry a bit until damp and then blow dry. Worse comes to worse I can always get it wash/set for pesach.

Blossom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2006, 2:38 am
I wash and style my shaitels myself. I agree you should blowdry it once it's damp.

lucky

Post Wed, Mar 15 2006, 7:19 pm
My moms shetel macher used to wash the synthetic or blend wigs in the WASHING MACHINE. She rolled them into a nylon knee-hi and did it on gentle cycle. Then, if it was still wet when she wanted to set it, she would put it in the dryer LOL LOL [and my moms sheitels still lasted very long.]

Expecting

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 5:00 am
I think I would spray it and put it into rollers

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Mar 19 2006, 7:05 pm
lucky wrote:
My moms shetel macher used to wash the synthetic or blend wigs in the WASHING MACHINE. She rolled them into a nylon knee-hi and did it on gentle cycle. Then, if it was still wet when she wanted to set it, she would put it in the dryer LOL LOL [and my moms sheitels still lasted very long.]

You can do that to a synthetic, but DO NOT do that to a custom! (Truth be told you shouldn't do that to a blend or any human hair shaitel, but definitely not to a custom!)

Before you do anything with a custom, You must know if the wig is hand tied or machine tied, this makes a big difference in how it needs to be handled. Just throwing a hand tied wig into the sink and wetting it, CAN loosen the knots and make the hair fall out! (doing this to a machine tied wig won't hurt it)

To get the pony tail mark out, use a spray bottle to wet the area, you will have to do it through all the hair with marks on it. the hair should NOT be soaked, just a little more than damp. then use a round brush and blow dryer on a low setting to slowly work out the mark.

Too much heat will damage the hair, so work carefully and use the lowest setting on the blowdryer. if you have a blowdryer with a cool setting use that, because its a cool instead of hot it is better for the hair.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use a flat iron, it is very damaging to hair and if your not sure what your doing your wig will end up looking like one big giant dead end.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels