Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Nikon D40 SLR Digital Camera Kit
1  2  Next

Beauticianista

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 12:40 pm
So my second anniversary is coming up in August and I wanted to get dh something he really wants, an SLR camera. I know absolutely nothing about them and neither does he, but he wants to learn. I know the range starts at about $500 although I didn't really want to spend this much but I see it doesn't get cheaper than that (It'll be combination anniversary/birthday present Very Happy ).

I happened to come across this Nikon while browsing B&H's website and it's $150 off and the reviews I've read so far seem pretty good, especially for a starter camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/.....views

Any pros here who can help me? If you know of any good ones that are cheaper, even better, but I'm being realistic.

TIA

chayitty

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 1:21 pm
I'm actually a canon user but did learn on a nikon d50 (A discontinued model)...the camera is great! read the manual!
its a great kit...your getting 2 decent lenses and a good camera for $550?
I got the warrnetys on the camera...which I highly reccomend..(but I break things quickly...)

Zahava

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 2:24 pm
I know mugsisme has or had one. You might want to PM her. From what I hear it's a great camera, pretty small, and it's a great package. Some people find it too small, so it all depends on personal preference.

Beauticianista

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 2:46 pm
Thanks both of you for your help. I spoke to a service rep at B&H and he showed me this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/.....views

which to me looks like the same thing without the extra lense, except this one says "Autofocus is supported only with AF-S and AF-I CPU lenses, which are equipped with an autofocus motor "

embarrassed I am so clueless

chayitty

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 3:07 pm
as far as im concerned they are the same camera.
if I rem. correctly the auto focus on all these cameras are only if the lens has auto focus and the lens your getting deos say af-s ...so you should be good...
I dont know your finiacial sit. but I would go for the double lens being that its only 100 bux more and ur getting a lens you can zoom in more

orchidmom

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 4:16 pm
At one time this was the one I was going to get, but due to financial reasons I couldn't.
I was told that it is the perfect slr to start off with.

Beauticianista

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 4:17 pm
chayitty wrote:
as far as im concerned they are the same camera.
if I rem. correctly the auto focus on all these cameras are only if the lens has auto focus and the lens your getting deos say af-s ...so you should be good...
I dont know your finiacial sit. but I would go for the double lens being that its only 100 bux more and ur getting a lens you can zoom in more

Thanks. I was also thinking about the lense. dh won't be using this camera professionaly, just as a hobby so I don't know if it's worth the extra $100 for the lense, what do u think??

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 4:47 pm
my friend's dh is the biggest pro at B&H who knows everything about SLR. Ask for Alex. I know that she is in love with hers and it does shoot amazing pix.

Maya

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 4:56 pm
We are also looking into SLR cameras now. We had a bridge camera that broke and never got replaced.

The reviews on this one are really good. I'm considering buying it.

OP, if you get it before me, can you let me know how it is? Thanks.

Beauticianista

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 5:18 pm
Maya wrote:
We are also looking into SLR cameras now. We had a bridge camera that broke and never got replaced.

The reviews on this one are really good. I'm considering buying it.

OP, if you get it before me, can you let me know how it is? Thanks.

Sure, and vice versa Smile . My anniversary isn't till end of August, problem is the $150 off the set expires on June 16...so I really have to make my decision before then. Also, if I googled correctly, the extra lense that's part of the set retails for about $250 so an extra $100 for that is a really good deal.

Zahava

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 5:28 pm
The only issue with the D40's body not having AF is that any lens you buy down the line will need to have AF in the lens, otherwise you will have to focus manually. That narrows your choices for lenses down somewhat, but if it's basically for hobby use you can probably get by. At one point, your husband might decide to upgrade to a more expensive camera body that has AF, then it won't be an issue at all. But I think the D40 is a great seller. It's not that new and still immensely popular. Good Luck!

chayitty

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 6:07 pm
even though your not using it professionally..lenses cost alot..and for just another 100 bux you can have it. the 18-55 takes great full scene shots...but the 55-200 is better for close up shots.
if it desont make a big dif. financially then go for it (even if you put it away and give him the second lens for a dif. occassion)

chayitty

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 6:11 pm
another thing I wanted to add was that I would def. reccomend this camera
a. you dont need bigger or better then this..its an awesome camera
b. I would NOT recommend going with anyother co. besides for nikon or canon (and since the beg. camera by canon is more expensive this is basically your best option)

Beauticianista

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 10:28 am
Thank u all so much, I think I'm gonna stick with the D40, it sounds perfect.

Now I'm just trying to figure out which deal is better? B&H for $550 including the extra lens, or this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA.....n%3D2

Thanks again!

Zahava

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 10:40 am
I would steer clear from the ebay package. Of the "3 lenses" included in the package, 2 are worthless. If you're looking to go cheaper, Buydig.com has the camera with one lens only for $439. I've bought from them in the past and they're great. Free shipping, very fast shipping (not sure where you are), no tax if you're not in NJ.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/pro.....01855

The additional $110 dollars at BH for an additional lens (provided that you're not from NY bc tax on that adds quite a bit) is a super deal if money is not so much an issue now.

Beauticianista

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 10:50 am
Zahava wrote:
I would steer clear from the ebay package. Of the "3 lenses" included in the package, 2 are worthless. If you're looking to go cheaper, Buydig.com has the camera with one lens only for $439. I've bought from them in the past and they're great. Free shipping, very fast shipping (not sure where you are), no tax if you're not in NJ.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/pro.....01855

The additional $110 dollars at BH for an additional lens (provided that you're not from NY bc tax on that adds quite a bit) is a super deal if money is not so much an issue now.

Thanks. I know the lenses from the ebay package are cheap but it does include a tripod and a carrying case which can cost a few dollars...that's the only reason I was considering it. So what do you think?

Zahava

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 11:37 am
The carrying case looks pretty good to me, the tripod I have no idea if it's worth anything or not.

Is a tripod something that your husband will need right away? You mentioned that your husband doesn't know much about an SLR. I don't think that a tripod is something you need that importantly. Don't get me wrong, it's a great accessory package, the question is what's most important for now. For someone trying to learn landscape photography, etc., a tripod is wonderful, and you won't want to spend too much on an expensive one right away. Maybe you'll have more use of a zoom lens now. It depends on your/your husbands personal photography interests.

The bottom line is-SLR photography is an investment. There;s constantly an additional lens to be had, tripod, camera bag, external flash, memory cards, the list is endless if you want it to be.

Or, you can decide that this is all he needs for now (whichever package you choose) and learn and enjoy!

Beauticianista

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 12:24 pm
Thanks Zahava.

I actually found a package deal that includes the extra lens and a camera case for $550, no tax or shipping!:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1160.htm

Also, found a 2 year extended warranty for $10:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Ex.....r=8-1

Thoughts?

Beauticianista

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 12:28 pm
Beauticianista wrote:
Thanks Zahava.

I actually found a package deal that includes the extra lens and a camera case for $550, no tax or shipping!:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1160.htm

Also, found a 2 year extended warranty for $10:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Ex.....r=8-1

Thoughts?

Forgot to mention, I can get 5% cash back by ritzcamera.com through live.com and paypal so total would only be $522.50

Zahava

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 12:54 pm
Looks good to me.

I'm usually weary about ordering cameras online, being that there are many websites that are ripoffs. I'm not 100% sure about them. Take a look.

http://www.resellerratings.com.....era_7

Always check an online vendor on resellerratings.com.

By availability, though, it says "shipped when received from manufacturer" or something like it. Maybe you should call first to check how long that might take. Make sure that they will indeed have it, and not call you in10 days that they can't get it, and then you will have missed it at BH.

Here's another legit place that has the kit for $546.95, and for $50 more you can have the additional lens with VR (vibration reduction) which helps stabilizes the camera when using a long and heavy lens. It's not something you MUST have, but it's a big help with zooms. I think the non VR lenses are very popular, so you can do without it.
http://www.abesofmaine.com/ite.....402LK
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art