Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO zucchini latkes without any starch fillers

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 6:19 pm
I tried to make zucchini latkes but they wouldn’t old. I ended up making a bunch of mini kugels from the mix. I cannot use potato, flour, any grains, etc.

I did the zucchini in the food processor using the julienne blade and added eggs and spices, and oil. I bake my latkes on parchment paper in the oven. But these fell apart, zucchini let’s out its own water which I need help with. Your idea?

(I'm on the SCD diet)

sunshine!

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 7:57 pm
Can you use flaxseed? Also try sprinkling a tsp of salt on the shredded zucchini and let it drain in a colander first to get rid of excess water. You can also try increasing the amount of eggs you use and see if that helps keep it together.

And when all else fails, just make the kugel and enjoy!

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 9:15 pm
But I want latkes (to take along to my class so I don't have to eat with a spoon).... Boohoooooooooo wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

gryp

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 9:17 pm
Did you squeeze the water out of the zucchinis? (That's what I do when I make a kugel or latkes, but I do use a bit of flour.) A very efficient way to squeeze the water out: place the zucchinis into a colander, pur a dinner plate on top and press down. Done.

de_goldy

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 10:49 pm
can you use oatmeal? I put some rolled oats in my zuccini soup.

Lefty

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 10:55 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
But I want latkes (to take along to my class so I don't have to eat with a spoon).... Boohoooooooooo wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

If you make a thick, nice slice of the squash kugel u can hold it with a paper towel and bite into it like that. it's still mannered!

yitta25

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 11:30 pm
Ive made them without any starch in the past (suzane somers diet). I grated them on the hand grater with the course side. Sqeeze out the excess water from the zuchini. Add eggs, and salt. I fried them. Maybe that also helped it hold the shapr

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 12:08 am
I squeezed a ton... still let out water while frying. dunno.

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 2:09 am
cheese, thats what I use, but not a low fat cheese as they are also full of water. Course grate the zucchini and put in one or both bulgarian, mozarella or plain yellow cheese (Israelis, any melting cheese others). I also add onion. The cheese melts and together with the egg binds but also give a bulk that zuccini does not have. And do not use huge over ripe zucchini as they have much more water.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:30 am
Shaklee, none of the SCD sources have recipes? I've been off most of the lists for a while but there was a woman on one of them, Marilyn, who has a wealth of recipes. There's also SCDrecipes@yahoogroups.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 3:45 pm
yes, they use almond flour. I can't have nuts yet. Also not cheese :-(

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 4:29 pm
No nuts, yikes. Have you checked out pecanbread.com? Got to warn you, be careful about the recipes. People create all kinds of combos, that work for their kids but not necessarily the rest of the world.

Good luck with the diet. The family member who tried it for a while (and gave me my passing familiarity) couldn't hack it but I really think even the short term had a role in his refuah.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 4:35 pm
ok I'm cooking out squash, broccoli, and cauliflower in water. I hope the cauliflower will hold it and if not, I'll just make egg/veggie ratio until the eggs just holds it all (fritatta anyone?) thanks!

I can't put cheese into the mix if I'm cooking it in a fleishig pot first... right?

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 8:48 pm
Blah... they were egg flops. I now have them kugels baking. Duh!

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 5:37 pm
After 3 failed attempts, I gave in to my fantasy. only if I combine it with chicken will it hold. Hence, the new recipe posted: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....03228

HooRYou

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 5:39 am
I often use chickpea flour for low carb binding. I have done it with zucchini latkes. No matter what you use make sure you give it time to sit before cooking. It helps the liquid be absorbed.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 10:35 am
HooRYou wrote:
I often use chickpea flour for low carb binding. I have done it with zucchini latkes. No matter what you use make sure you give it time to sit before cooking. It helps the liquid be absorbed.

I'm on the SCD diet, so no beans, no grains, etc.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 11:28 am
Beans ARE allowed on SCD (don't remember if chickpeas are ok) but only for advanced dieters. For a while Esther Weiss sold bean flour but Elaine didn't think it was a good idea. Definitely not with the same frequency as nut flour.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 11:30 am
I just checked the BTVC site. Chickpeas are illegal Sad
And bean flour should be made of beans that have been presoaked.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 11:38 am
I'm not advanced yet! I'm still down to 5 foods, for two months now. <sigh>
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes