Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
How to spend the day

sarab

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 5:47 pm
I need suggestions as to how my teen daughters can spend the
many hours of Tisha B'av. They will attend a video but asides from that
there is not much they can do. I want it to be a spiritually uplifting day and
spent well but they are uninterested in heavy reading so what else is there to do?
Is there any live videos online that they can tune into? What else can I suggest to them
that they will actually want to do?

elf123

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 7:12 pm
I don't have teens yet, but can you try to find them some kind of chessed to do, at least after chatzos? Maybe visiting some homebound elderly people, or even in a local nursing home, or helping a mother with her kids? I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated, if this is the type of thing you mean...

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 9:20 pm
I pm'd you.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 9:43 pm
my parents used to rent holocaust movies/documentaries for tisha bav. they're all really played down (I never realized how much until I took a holocaust course). I think one of the best is schindler's list. I found the tone of the movie was appropriate to the content. I do not recommend escape from sobibor, there are too many obvious inaccuracies that I feel are really insulting. (though they had a survivor of sobibor consult on that one. the story is amazing, but the nazis salute like american soldiers, the "inmates" have fairly well tailored, matching uniforms...etc.) if you do want to watch that one, though, I'm pretty sure you can find the whole thing on youtube. anyway, as a teen I felt these helped me feel a sense of mourning on tisha bav. I'm not sure how spiritually uplifted you're really supposed to be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics