Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Only trained if bare-bottomed

imamama

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 2:12 am
When my son is home, I basically just let him run around bare-bottomed, and it's been a couple of weeks already since he's had an accident. He knows when he needs to go, and goes to the potty himself without any prompting from me.

On the few occasions when we've been out of the house, and he needs to wear pants, or if I put pants on him while we're home, I'll ask him frequently if he needs to go, and he always says no. Usually within 5 minutes of me asking, he's wet his pants. I've tried to just take him to the bathroom and put him on the toilet, but this upsets him, and he tries to fight me off. And then he has an accident. If I just let him be, he wets his pants.

I don't know what to do. If I ask him, he says no, and then has an accident. If I don't ask him, he gets upset, and then has an accident. If I leave him alone, he has an accident. If I let him go without pants he's perfectly trained.

What should I do??????

Seraph

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 2:24 am
imamama wrote:
When my son is home, I basically just let him run around bare-bottomed, and it's been a couple of weeks already since he's had an accident. He knows when he needs to go, and goes to the potty himself without any prompting from me.

On the few occasions when we've been out of the house, and he needs to wear pants, or if I put pants on him while we're home, I'll ask him frequently if he needs to go, and he always says no. Usually within 5 minutes of me asking, he's wet his pants. I've tried to just take him to the bathroom and put him on the toilet, but this upsets him, and he tries to fight me off. And then he has an accident. If I just let him be, he wets his pants.

I don't know what to do. If I ask him, he says no, and then has an accident. If I don't ask him, he gets upset, and then has an accident. If I leave him alone, he has an accident. If I let him go without pants he's perfectly trained.

What should I do??????
My son was like that. It was about a week or two of underwear and pants in the house before there were no accidents. I think just keep putting him in pants and it'll help in time.
My son pretty much only has accidents when he's at one friend's house. Doesnt have an accident anywhere else, but has accidents there EVERY time. Wink

imamama

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 2:31 am
Here's the kicker, though. He started gan on Friday, and of course had an accident.

Should I pull him out for a week or two until he's proficient in knowing when to use the potty while wearing pants? Or should I ask the ganenet if she's willing to deal with it for another week or two in gan? Is that really horrible? I probably shouldn't ask that, right? I'm just worried about him getting integrated, you know? It's a Hebrew speaking gan, and he only speaks English. I don't want him to come in after 2 weeks when all the kids are used to it, and he's just starting, and to top it all off he doesn't speak the language.

Whatever. I'll discuss it with the ganenet, I guess.

Any other ideas are welcome. (Thank you, Seraph.)

sped

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 2:33 am
Just be sure he knows how to ask for the bathroom in Hebrew! My friend teaches the sentence to all her kids before day 1 in Hebrew after she had issues with her first!

Seraph

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 2:49 am
Is the ganenet willing to deal with diapers/pull ups?
If not, then you have no choice but to either send him with her okaying cleaning up constant accidents, or keeping him at home.
Speak to her, see what she says. If the ganenet is Mrs A as I'm assuming it is, she seems like she'd be easy going enough, but I can't promise anything. Maybe he'll be more likely to go on the toilet even when fully clothed when he sees all the other kids doing it. Confused

imamama

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 3:36 am
Quote:
Maybe he'll be more likely to go on the toilet even when fully clothed when he sees all the other kids doing it

That's what DH said. I'm pretty skeptical.

Rodent

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 3:40 am
We had the same issue also. We went cold turkey, it's the only thing that worked. As for gan SEND him if you can. It did wonders for our son, they see the other kids go and want to as well. He's currently obsessed with the toilet as a result.

corey

Post Sun, Aug 30 2009, 11:05 pm
I had the same issue. Then I received the parent handbook from the Cheder and it said my ds has to be potty trained prior to starting school (which at the time was in 10 days - no pressure or anything). I explained to my ds he has to be totally potty trained or he can't go to school He informed me his morahs will change him. I had to tell him, nope.

So, less than 1 week later, he is totally trained. He has had a couple of accidents but nothing too serious. I plan to send a bunch of undies and pants with him the first week or two.

When I spoke with the morah, she said use bribery. We found the best idea was just telling him the truth and deal with the laundry.

Day 1 - 3 accidents
Day 2 - 2 accidents
Day 3 - 1 accident
Day 4 - no accidents in his pants, but he pooped in the public pool, closing it down for the day
Day 5 - no more accidents and he tells us when he has to go.

Now we have to ask a lot and sometimes just take him when he doesn't want to go. When I know he hasn't gone in a lot time (I also do this with my 7 year old) and tell them to sit on the potty and count to 10. ( it also helps in his numbers) If they still have not gone, then I guess they do not have to go.

slushiemom

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 2:39 am
I also let DS run around bare bottom for a long time to get him used to the toilet. Then when I decided it was time for underwear, I let him in underwear IN THE HOUSE- no trips or anything for a week. it took a couple days and numerous accidents, but I didnt give up, just changed underwear- he got it pretty quickly. it's more nerve wracking outside, start with in the house underwear. Good luck!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training