Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Expired margarine?

sporty

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 8:39 pm
Can I use expired margarine if after I buy it I freeze it?
I have 2 boxes with margarine sticks that have sell by dates from July and end of August and I would use them if it's okay since they were frozen but I don't want to risk it being a problem....

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 8:40 pm
Do you mean you froze it before or after it was already expired?

sporty

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 8:46 pm
Probably before....like I must have bought margarine a while back before it was expired and then froze it and today when I was baking I looked and saw the box had a sell by date that passed.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 8:57 pm
sporty wrote:
Probably before....like I must have bought margarine a while back before it was expired and then froze it and today when I was baking I looked and saw the box had a sell by date that passed.

Since it was frozen before the expiration date, and being used right away once defrosted, it should be totally fine!

sporty

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 8:59 pm
Thanks.
Yea I used it right away. I never even looked at the dates on the margarine before as I always stick it in the freezer I just happened to look today and saw they were expired but I didn't have any others so I used the one with the late August date and I guess to be safe will throw out the July one.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 9:10 pm
I think once it's in the freezer, things basically stay good--as in not spoiled--forever. The quality of the product or nutritional value might change, but it won't make someone sick.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins