Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Garlic cloves- what to do with a bucket?
1  2  Next

JollyMommy

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 9:18 pm
Hi- I bought a huge bucket of peeled garlic cloves (hey it was $5!) any recipes that call for a lot of garlic?? we are big chicken fans!

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 9:20 pm
roast garlic and make a spread

put a head of garlic in everything you cook ... I love it ...

bluebird

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 9:42 pm
greenfire wrote:
roast garlic and make a spread

Thumbs Up I just love roasted garlic! And garlic in general. It goes into so many dishes that I make.

Pressed/minced garlic and grated ginger go into almost every stir fry I make.

Rub a clove onto bread, then toast it for garlic bread. Chop up some tomatoes for bruschetta to put on the bread if you like.

Garlic mashed potatoes!

bnm

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 9:48 pm
I think there is a recipe for 40 clove chicken. search it....

pina colada

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 10:22 pm
eggplant babaganush
ceasar salad dressing
cholent

louche

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 10:39 pm
freeze some.
roast some.
give some to me.
plant some in your yard for next year.
make garlic soup.
barter some with your neighbor for something else you need...like bay leaves, maybe.
send some to Transylvania for vampire repellent.

too bad they're not whole heads with the stalk attached; you could have made a garlic braid to hang in the kitchen.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 11:18 pm
Mince some, add a tiny bit of olive oil, spoon into ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, pop out and store in the freezer in ziploc baggies.

Buy a bottle of olive oil and drop several cloves into it. You can also add rosemary too. Let it sit for a week or so and you'll have a wonderful salad oil.

Make garlic-dill pickles!

shalhevet

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 11:27 pm
esteec wrote:
Hi- I bought a huge bucket of peeled garlic cloves (hey it was $5!) any recipes that call for a lot of garlic?? we are big chicken fans!

Check with your rav. If they were peeled for even one night without being part of a dish, they might well all need to be resting in the garbage.

merelyme

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 1:11 am
Unless they were covered (which could include being in the refrigerator).
like the lady said, ask your LOR.

Last edited by merelyme on Tue, Sep 08 2009, 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total

drumjj

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 1:11 am
my husband said garlic doesnt have the same rule as onions and its fine to leave unpeeled over night

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 7:16 am
freeze a few and see how it is.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 7:21 am
I put garlic into almost everything.
You said you guys like chicken. Crush garlic cloves and bake chicken with olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic (the more, the better), oregano, basil, salt and pepper.

yaelinIN

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 7:35 am
after you talk to your rav about the halachos of peeled garlic left overnight, you can freeze them whole or pureed with olive/another oil and put in ziplok bags in a very thin layer and frozen (so you break off pieces to cook with) I did the same with a lot of garlic last week!

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 8:01 am
drumjj wrote:
my husband said garlic doesnt have the same rule as onions and its fine to leave unpeeled over night

Thumbs Up

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 8:03 am
if it halachically works out, I'd mince and freeze in small portions to use as you cook.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 11:31 am
merelyme wrote:
Unless they were covered (which could include being in the refrigerator).
like the lady said, ask your LOR.

Covering doesn't help, unless it's with garlic peels - this is what I learned, but of course everyone should ask their own LOR. Covering helps for liquids left out overnight, because then snakes can't get in Twisted Evil .

shalhevet

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 11:35 am
A quick google turned up this:

Quote:
Another practice involving food which our Sages considered dangerous is eating a shelled egg, peeled onion, or peeled garlic clove(3) that was left overnight. Although this practice is less widespread than the universally accepted restriction against eating meat and fish together, the Talmud(4) maintains that a ruach ra'ah, literally a bad spirit or a "spirit of impurity", rests upon these three foods when peeled and left overnight, similar to the "spirit of impurity" that rests on one's hands during nighttime sleep. One who eats these foods after they were left overnight, states the Talmud, endangers his life. Moreover, he will be judged by the Heavenly Court as a person who took his own life(5). In view of the severity of both the offense and the punishment, it is difficult to understand why certain communities do not comply with this restriction. How can they ignore such frightening consequences?

There is a basic difference, however, between the two prohibitions mentioned above. The prohibition against eating meat and fish together is quoted by the Shulchan Aruch as practical Halachah(6). All Jews - without exception - are obligated to follow the rulings of the Shulchan Aruch, whether scientifically understood or not. The prohibition against eating the three peeled foods, however, is omitted by many of the Rishonim(7) and the Shulchan Aruch, probably because they held that the particular "spirit of impurity" in question was no longer prevalent in their times(8). Thus, in many communities this practice is not followed, and, indeed, many people have never heard of it.

But in many other communities, the practice is in force, to one degree or another. While omitted by the Shulchan Aruch, the warning against eating these three peeled foods is cited by some Rishonim(9), and recorded as practical Halachah by several of the later authorities, among them the Pri Chadash, Shulchan Aruch Harav(10), Aruch ha-Shulchan(11) and Ben Ish Chai.

From here.

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 11:38 am
shalhevet wrote:
A quick google turned up this:

Quote:
Another practice involving food which our Sages considered dangerous is eating a shelled egg, peeled onion, or peeled garlic clove(3) that was left overnight. Although this practice is less widespread than the universally accepted restriction against eating meat and fish together, the Talmud(4) maintains that a ruach ra'ah, literally a bad spirit or a "spirit of impurity", rests upon these three foods when peeled and left overnight, similar to the "spirit of impurity" that rests on one's hands during nighttime sleep. One who eats these foods after they were left overnight, states the Talmud, endangers his life. Moreover, he will be judged by the Heavenly Court as a person who took his own life(5). In view of the severity of both the offense and the punishment, it is difficult to understand why certain communities do not comply with this restriction. How can they ignore such frightening consequences?

There is a basic difference, however, between the two prohibitions mentioned above. The prohibition against eating meat and fish together is quoted by the Shulchan Aruch as practical Halachah(6). All Jews - without exception - are obligated to follow the rulings of the Shulchan Aruch, whether scientifically understood or not. The prohibition against eating the three peeled foods, however, is omitted by many of the Rishonim(7) and the Shulchan Aruch, probably because they held that the particular "spirit of impurity" in question was no longer prevalent in their times(8). Thus, in many communities this practice is not followed, and, indeed, many people have never heard of it.

But in many other communities, the practice is in force, to one degree or another. While omitted by the Shulchan Aruch, the warning against eating these three peeled foods is cited by some Rishonim(9), and recorded as practical Halachah by several of the later authorities, among them the Pri Chadash, Shulchan Aruch Harav(10), Aruch ha-Shulchan(11) and Ben Ish Chai.

From here.

I think that means left out, as in not in the fridge in a covered container.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 11:42 am
shalhevet wrote:
esteec wrote:

Check with your rav. If they were peeled for even one night without being part of a dish, they might well all need to be resting in the garbage.

Everyone should ask their LOR.
I was told that since commercial companies are allowed leniencies in this area, that it's okay to buy a container of peeled garlic cloves from a store. (But I don't know if it's okay to peel my own and keep them in a container by themselves overnight.)
I was told the same thing about the Golden Flow frozen chopped onions. (I was surprised that the ingredients only listed "onions". So I asked.)

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 08 2009, 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 11:44 am
OP, make delicious 20 clove roasted chicken, yummy pesto, roasted garlic dip, roasted garlic eggplant dip, basil chicken, shawarma chicken...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus