Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Garlic cloves- what to do with a bucket?
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 2:44 pm
BOO !!!

shalhevet

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 2:46 pm
BennysMommy wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
A quick google turned up this:

Quote:
Another practice involving food which our Sages considered dangerous is eating a shelled egg, peeled onion, or peeled garlic clove(3) that was left overnight. Although this practice is less widespread than the universally accepted restriction against eating meat and fish together, the Talmud(4) maintains that a ruach ra'ah, literally a bad spirit or a "spirit of impurity", rests upon these three foods when peeled and left overnight, similar to the "spirit of impurity" that rests on one's hands during nighttime sleep. One who eats these foods after they were left overnight, states the Talmud, endangers his life. Moreover, he will be judged by the Heavenly Court as a person who took his own life(5). In view of the severity of both the offense and the punishment, it is difficult to understand why certain communities do not comply with this restriction. How can they ignore such frightening consequences?

There is a basic difference, however, between the two prohibitions mentioned above. The prohibition against eating meat and fish together is quoted by the Shulchan Aruch as practical Halachah(6). All Jews - without exception - are obligated to follow the rulings of the Shulchan Aruch, whether scientifically understood or not. The prohibition against eating the three peeled foods, however, is omitted by many of the Rishonim(7) and the Shulchan Aruch, probably because they held that the particular "spirit of impurity" in question was no longer prevalent in their times(8). Thus, in many communities this practice is not followed, and, indeed, many people have never heard of it.

But in many other communities, the practice is in force, to one degree or another. While omitted by the Shulchan Aruch, the warning against eating these three peeled foods is cited by some Rishonim(9), and recorded as practical Halachah by several of the later authorities, among them the Pri Chadash, Shulchan Aruch Harav(10), Aruch ha-Shulchan(11) and Ben Ish Chai.

From here.

I think that means left out, as in not in the fridge in a covered container.

Not how I learned. The covered container helps for liquids, not for eggs, garlic or onions.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 2:54 pm
you can add oil to the container and some say it is acceptable that way ... plus it retains flavour that way as well ...

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 2:55 pm
greenfire wrote:
you can add oil to the container and some say it is acceptable that way ... plus it retains flavour that way as well ...

Right on! Adding oil is all that's needed!

solo

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 2:56 pm
does the rule for unpeeled eggs include eggs that were grated or mashed?

bnm

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 2:58 pm
solo wrote:

eggs is only raw

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:00 pm
bnm wrote:
solo wrote:

eggs is only raw
As in uncovered, cracked, raw eggs?

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:02 pm
how can you have unpeeled raw eggs Confused Scratching Head

you also cannot have cooked eggs shelled ... you must add the oil & spices - otherwise leave on the shell ...

shalhevet

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:08 pm
bnm wrote:
solo wrote:

eggs is only raw

Not how I learned. (Now you know why everyone has to ask their own LOR.)

Greenfire - your unpeeled raw egg is in a glass or cup or bowl. Wink

You have to add something that makes it into a dish - some say oil or oil and salt turns shelled eggs into egg salad etc.

Edited to correct my stupid mistake.

Last edited by shalhevet on Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

solo

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:14 pm
shalhevet wrote:
bnm wrote:
solo wrote:

eggs is only raw

You have to add something that makes it into a dish - some say oil or oil and salt turns unpeeled eggs into egg salad etc.

the way I understood this rule pertains to cooked eggs as well. it just never occurred to me about mashed or grated.

for whole eggs I just drizzle olive oil or a bit of mayo. like this I can wash it off if I want it plain or just mash it up for egg salad later.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:15 pm
shalhevet wrote:
esteec wrote:
Hi- I bought a huge bucket of peeled garlic cloves (hey it was $5!) any recipes that call for a lot of garlic?? we are big chicken fans!

Check with your rav. If they were peeled for even one night without being part of a dish, they might well all need to be resting in the garbage.

According to our Vaad, unpeeled garlic as well as unpeeled onions (you can find mini frozen onions in the frozen section) are ok, because they are done on an industrial level...I asked because I saw the unpeled garlic and called them up to see what was pshat.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:22 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
esteec wrote:
Hi- I bought a huge bucket of peeled garlic cloves (hey it was $5!) any recipes that call for a lot of garlic?? we are big chicken fans!

Check with your rav. If they were peeled for even one night without being part of a dish, they might well all need to be resting in the garbage.

According to our Vaad, unpeeled garlic as well as unpeeled onions (you can find mini frozen onions in the frozen section) are ok, because they are done on an industrial level...I asked because I saw the unpeled garlic and called them up to see what was pshat.

yes but that is only because the halochos are more maikel for industries

bnm

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:23 pm
according to what I learned;

peeled garlic, onions, and eggs that have nothing added to them can't be used if left overnight. if they aren't 100% pure, you sprinkled salt, oil or something on them then its ok. the amount of additive differs according to dayanim.

pinktichel

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:28 pm
shalhevet wrote:
bnm wrote:
solo wrote:

eggs is only raw

You have to add something that makes it into a dish - some say oil or oil and salt turns unpeeled eggs into egg salad etc.

I'm a bit slow so I'd appreciate some clarification. I understand, from the last few posts, that cooked eggs that are still in their shell need to have oil/oil and salt added to it to make it a dish. I'm a bit confused as to why that would be necessary... you can't eat hard boiled eggs still in their shell, so how would that make it into a dish?

I always thought the law applied to shelled eggs. Am I just misunderstanding e/o or am I the one who has it wrong?

bnm

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:32 pm
pinktichel wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
bnm wrote:
solo wrote:

eggs is only raw

I'm a bit slow so I'd appreciate some clarification. I understand, from the last few posts, that cooked eggs that are still in their shell need to have oil/oil and salt added to it to make it a dish. I'm a bit confused as to why that would be necessary... you can't eat hard boiled eggs still in their shell, so how would that make it into a dish?

I always thought the law applied to shelled eggs. Am I just misunderstanding e/o or am I the one who has it wrong?

cooked isn't a problem, only raw is.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:34 pm
shalhevet wrote:

Greenfire - your unpeeled raw egg is in a glass or cup or bowl. :wink

oh that explains a lot ... Mr. Green

pinktichel wrote:

you are correct ... only for shelled eggs not ones in their shell

Last edited by greenfire on Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:34 pm
bnm wrote:
pinktichel wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
bnm wrote:
solo wrote:

eggs is only raw

I was taught cooked too...

shalhevet

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:35 pm
No, you're right. Sorry- I wrote it wrong - I'll edit. Unshelled eggs (cooked or raw) are no problem.

pinktichel

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:39 pm
bnm wrote:
pinktichel wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
bnm wrote:
solo wrote:

eggs is only raw

Thanks. I guess I was wrong on 2 accounts then! LOL

ruth

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 5:00 am
make some zhug & harissa. store in the small deli containers & freeze them.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus