Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Dinner on an israeli budget
1  2  Next

yaeli83

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:11 pm
I need dinner ideas that dont cost a fortune. Its just me and DH. we dont eat a lot of meat or fish during the week, too expensive. it seems like all we eat is A LOT of pasta! I need new ideas, things that include protein!!

Thanks Smile

Isramom8

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:15 pm
tuna melts
tuna casserole
deviled eggs
vegetable omelet
corn shnitzel
salami baked in honey-mustard sauce
chicken wings

Dvasha

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:20 pm
* You can get ground chicken for out 15 shekel, I mx spices into it then fry it and serve with sweet potato fries and a vegie.
* It is patchky but gnocchi is yummy
* Bean, rice, and cheese/bean burgers/ burrito casserole
* Different soups
*pizza
* salads, cut up meat, deli or chicken since it takes alot less an add or make it milk with some cheese, lotsf veiges, cut up eggs,
* roasted vegies
* twice baked potatoes
* chili dogs
* frittata

Hope that helps

hycup

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:26 pm
Isramom8 wrote:

mmmm, sounds yummy! can you post the receipe?

Another great cheap meal is called poor man's meal (from the depression). Here's a link to the receipe on youtube: Poor man's meal

msctwg

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:40 pm
you can make a little bit more for shabbat and then you have leftovers till mon.
also.
potatoes and hotdogs.
tuna patties
meatballs /from ground chicken you can get a half a kilo, put in bread crumbs and others spices and get at least 2 meals from it.
chicken soup from leftover chicken from shabbat.
chicken salad (yumm)
pasta salad with tuna.
the last 2 are great, they are 1 pot meals where everything goes in protein, carbs, and veggies...all in one pot! less dishes to wash...yea!! what else...I don't know I can't stand tivol stuff but technically I guess it qualifies as protein.
oh. more from ground chicken, hamburgers, kabab mashed meat with tomato sauce and rice.
have fun, and get creative.

sped

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:51 pm
hycup wrote:

Another great cheap meal is called poor man's meal (from the depression). Here's a link to the receipe on youtube: Poor man's meal

My speakers are not working. Can someone please clue me in? Thanks

natmichal

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 1:12 pm
Where is Seraph? she's great for this...
Add madjadera (rice and lentils) - good carb and protein source
quinoa salad (again for the protein)
as winter is coming up - I make a lot of soup with whatever cheap veggies I have +lentils or beans for proteins and barley or x-tra potatoes for more body. It makes for good and filling meals. I serve it with bread (we have a bread maker so it yummy) and voila! good filling meal...and cheap.
In the summer we oftne have "special omelette " (with fried onion, peppers and mushrooms) with bread and a salad. cheap and healthy

hycup

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 1:16 pm
sped wrote:
hycup wrote:

Basically potatoes and hot dogs. Chop up potatos, fry with some onion. Add water if it starts to stick. Add chopped up hotdogs add a bit of tomato paste. Dinner in 30 minutes.

Also, buy the frozen vegetable and steam them as a side dish. They are cheaper then the canned vegies and are healthier.

sped

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 1:20 pm
hycup wrote:
sped wrote:
hycup wrote:

Basically potatoes and hot dogs. Chop up potatos, fry with some onion. Add water if it starts to stick. Add chopped up hotdogs add a bit of tomato paste. Dinner in 30 minutes.

Also, buy the frozen vegetable and steam them as a side dish. They are cheaper then the canned vegies and are healthier.

Thanks. I do that with soy hotdogs.

e1234

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 1:34 pm
any good recipes with ground chicken?
do your kids eat it?

wif

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 1:35 pm
using chopped meat, chicken, or turkey, you can make very cheap dinners, especially by adding lots of breadcrumbs and doubling the meat.

you can make:

meatballs
hamburgers
chili
sloppy joe
meat sauce
mintrone soup

etc

Mrs.K

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 1:36 pm
Felafel

wif

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 1:44 pm
hycup wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

mmmm, sounds yummy! can you post the receipe?

I actually make that all the time! I thought that I made it up! I also add into it tons of paprika to give it a nice color, and minced garlic cloves.

sarahd

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 2:30 pm
I make it too, but I add sliced carrots and it's a whole balanced meal. If you can call hot dogs balanced.

Marion

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 1:54 am
Pineapple-sausage skillet.

Rice
Pineapple chunks (yes, canned)
Cut up hot dogs

I often substitute cubed chicken breast or ground meat.

FraydaSue

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 2:04 am
e1234 wrote:
any good recipes with ground chicken?
do your kids eat it?

I make spaghetti bolognese a lot. Fry onions and ground meat/chicken. Add a can of crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, mushrooms, can of chick peas (if the kids like it); tumeric, salt, pepper, and whatever other spices you like. The veggies help it go much further. One little pack of ground chicken should serve at least 6 portions.

shabri

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 3:11 am
I use tons of chopped chicken or turkey. I get it for 12-15 shekel a 1/2 kilo and thats more than enough for the 2 of us plus my 2 kiddies.

I make hamburgers,meatballs,chilli, sweet pot sheapards pie, meatloaf etc

Also sometimes I get these meat sticks (made out of chicken) I buy them at shefa shuk they are 12 shekel a pack. I grill them on our indoor grill and serve with fried onions and salad. DH loves them

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 3:18 am
shabri wrote:
I use tons of chopped chicken or turkey. I get it for 12-15 shekel a 1/2 kilo and thats more than enough for the 2 of us plus my 2 kiddies.

Also sometimes I get these meat sticks (made out of chicken) I buy them at shefa shuk they are 12 shekel a pack. I grill them on our indoor grill and serve with fried onions and salad. DH loves them

How do you make sweet potato shepherds pie?

shabri

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 4:43 am
ra_mom wrote:
shabri wrote:

How do you make sweet potato shepherds pie?

I got it from this site. I think it was Greeneye's recipe. Do a search, if you can't find it, I can type it out (I don't know how to link to other threads otherwise I would search for you) Its delish

lili

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 5:56 am
you can add grated veggies to the mince meat or chicken mixture. 1 kilo plus veggies gives me 3 meal for dh me and toddler.

I'll post exact recipe if you're interested
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus