Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Asking Chabad Babysitter to Feed Non-CY Formula
1  2  3  4  Next

Tova

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 5:34 pm
For Lubavitch women or other women who do not hold of the heter of CY:

If you were babysitting someone else's child, would you feel uncomfortable feeding the child non-CY formula? Baby's family are not makpid on CY for such a young child. Mother gives you a seperate bottle brush to use as well as says she does not mind if you don't want to wash out the bottles in your own sink - ie - send home dirty bottles.

This is nogeya for me (I am the Mommy!).

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 5:38 pm
I guess I would ask a rav.

I know lubavitchers who have used non cy, even non kosher formula when there is no other choice due to allergies.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 5:40 pm
is your babysitter lubavitch that this is directed towards them? I thought all chareidim keep chalav yisroel.

Atali

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 5:50 pm
Tova wrote:

If you were babysitting someone else's child, would you feel uncomfortable feeding the child non-CY formula? Baby's family are not makpid on CY for such a young child. Mother gives you a seperate bottle brush to use as well as says she does not mind if you don't want to wash out the bottles in your own sink - ie - send home dirty bottles.

I would not be comfortable with it.

Inspired

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 5:54 pm
What about expressed breastmilk of a woman who eats chalav stam?

bubby

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 5:54 pm
Is there a reason (allergies?) why you don't give CY formula? Would it make such a big difference to you to do so? And can you please tell us why you are asking? Did something happen?

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:03 pm
Inspired wrote:

what about it?

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:04 pm
Tova wrote:

I would be okay with it. That doesn't mean it's right or wrong though.

Atali

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:07 pm
Inspired wrote:

That I would do.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:07 pm
I've had similar issues - but not with baby formula ... I really think it's going overboard ...

chaylizi

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:08 pm
bubby wrote:
Is there a reason (allergies?) why you don't give CY formula? Would it make such a big difference to you to do so? And can you please tell us why you are asking? Did something happen?

I don't give non-CY formula, but there are reasons. For instance, there is no CY formula available in my city. People either buy soy formula, get a heter and use non-CY or breastfeed. Leaving the nursing aside for a moment, soy is a huge allergen & is really not all that good for babies as a primary food source. So many people are told that they can use the regular similac or enfamil if that is what is available.

Atali

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:10 pm
chaylizi wrote:
bubby wrote:

I don't give non-CY formula, but there are reasons. For instance, there is no CY formula available in my city. People either buy soy formula, get a heter and use non-CY or breastfeed. Leaving the nursing aside for a moment, soy is a huge allergen & is really not all that good for babies as a primary food source. So many people are told that they can use the regular similac or enfamil if that is what is available.

You can order CY formula online from Materna for about the same price as regular formula.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:14 pm
is the shipping a fortune? where can you get this? I have friends who would love to have this information! They kind of feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. (I personally nurse my kids full time, but then I don't work so...)

momomany

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:15 pm
Quote:
ou can order CY formula online from Materna for about the same price as regular formula.

My ped (usa) is not comfortable with me using materna (maybe not the same quality controls in israel as us-no fda?) & no other cy non-soy powder is available

Atali

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:17 pm
chaylizi wrote:
is the shipping a fortune? where can you get this? I have friends who would love to have this information! They kind of feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. (I personally nurse my kids full time, but then I don't work so...)

maternausa.com

momomany

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:19 pm
Quote:
is the shipping a fortune? where can you get this? I have friends who would love to have this information!

materna powder is readily available in boro park & well-priced too I think

Atali

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:19 pm
momomany wrote:
Quote:
ou can order CY formula online from Materna for about the same price as regular formula.

My ped (usa) is not comfortable with me using materna (maybe not the same quality controls in israel as us-no fda?) & no other cy non-soy powder is available

I am not telling you what to do, but I personally am way more concerned about the spiritual effect that having non-CY milk causes a child than about the possible physical effects of Materna formula (the babies in Israel seem just fine, and the formula that caused the scandal years ago was a different brand) or soy formula (my kids had it and all are totally fine).

chaylizi

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:22 pm
momomany wrote:
Quote:
is the shipping a fortune? where can you get this? I have friends who would love to have this information!

materna powder is readily available in boro park & well-priced too I think

I live about 12 hours away from boro park (driving. and that is without stopping). what is available in boro park does not help me or most of my friends. but thanks for the info.

momomany

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:24 pm
cy similac ready to feed formula is available, it was even given in Beth Isreal Hosipital in NYC where my baby was delivered

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:29 pm
Atali wrote:
momomany wrote:
Quote:

I am not telling you what to do, but I personally am way more concerned about the spiritual effect that having non-CY milk causes a child than about the possible physical effects of Materna formula (the babies in Israel seem just fine, and the formula that caused the scandal years ago was a different brand) or soy formula (my kids had it and all are totally fine).

actually the soy formula that had the problem was manufactured in that efficient country, germany. But I can understand that a ped would only be familiar with locally produced brands. hardly means that all non american babies are being fed bad formula.

you can also get cy similac, I think.

Chaylizi, if there was enough demand for it, you could probably get it. I can order pretty much anything from my kosher store, as long as the supplier carries it.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions